Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any points calculator?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

just remember there was a link to one in a thread ages back just wondering coz its easier then added up all the different combinations!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

There's one on qualifax.ie somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

thanks now for the entering of millions of different cominations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

spending ages here tryna see what i might get... its lookin like its gonna be very tight as to whether i get my first choice... i hope ye are all praying that points will come down this year for all courses across the board..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you need an online calculator to work out your leaving cert points I think you may not be "university material".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

If you need an online calculator to work out your leaving cert points I think you may not be "university material".

Well I am but Iam sh1t at maths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

i doubt he ''needs'' it. Its just quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Uhm, are you an idiot?

Either he can use the calculator, or waste his time writing out loads and loads of combinations on a piece of paper, adding them all up etc. But I suppose using an online calculator to reduce his time doing a task so that he is more practical and has more time for others things means he isn't "university material". Pft dumbass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

After my mocks I calculated what I thought I'd get in the real thing, I'm so modest that I brought myself down 40 points from what I got in the mock exams. Then of course I got really confused and tried to do it again, these damn calculations are out to get me!

ha as already posted its just to save time im pretty good at maths (honours) im just getting lazier and lazier! worked out il get around 490 I hope B and L drops!
    im getting worried coz I always think I did better then I have done and I wouldn't be happy with 490:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah I love these. Mine go from the impossibly optimistic to better than I thought...to possible..down to about 480, which would suck for me.

sorry now, im sure everyone on here is well able to calculate leaving cert points. using an online calculator does not lessen one's ability to perform in college. im sure people would be highly amused to see what your great vision of "university material" is and how you will fit into this idea, that the rest of us, from your last post it seems, are not worthy..

No point getting worked up over slutmonkey57b lads, it was obviously said to get a rise out of someone.

Rozabeez wrote:
    No point getting worked up over slutmonkey57b lads, it was obviously said to get a rise out of someone.

Quiet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No, it wasn't. Genuinely, if you find calculating your leaving cert points too difficult/boring/complicated to do, then you're really not going to get on in university. Quit while you're behind.

who said they found it too difficult/boring/complicated???

What's the point of writing loads of combinations out, when that does it for you? Saves time, effort, and paper.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Quiet you!

I love it when you bark orders. Calculate MY points baby, yeah.

No, it wasn't. Genuinely, if you find calculating your leaving cert points too difficult/boring/complicated to do, then you're really not going to get on in university. Quit while you're behind.

Mr. Troll, please gtfo the LC forums. Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Rozabeez wrote:
    No, I only opened this thread because I was in complete shock that someone needed a calculator.

You are only counting 6 numbers and they are all multiples of 5. Its mental arithmetic and most people can do it quicker in their head than with the "help" of that calculator.

• Advertisement

You are only counting 6 numbers and they are all multiples of 5. Its mental arithmetic and most people can do it quicker in their head than with the "help" of that calculator.

So you're telling me you can add that up in your head quicker than with a calculator? Besides the fact, that almost every LC student uses these calculators, its not an issue of whether or not you can or cannot add them up - it's the issue of ease of use and saving time. And frankly your "people can do it quicker in their head" comment is complete bull****. As a student who averages an A2/A1 in Maths, even I'd use them. Did you and your lame comment consider the students who are weak at maths and arithmetic?

Please can a mod lock this thread before we get any more of these idiots posting here.

lol yeah I agree 100% and now iv found the calculator thanks ^^

ZorbaTehZ wrote:

So you're telling me you can add that up in your head quicker than with a calculator? Besides the fact, that almost every LC student uses these calculators, its not an issue of whether or not you can or cannot add them up - it's the issue of ease of use and saving time. And frankly your "people can do it quicker in their head" comment is complete bull****. As a student who averages an A2/A1 in Maths, even I'd use them. Did you and your lame comment consider the students who are weak at maths and arithmetic?

Please can a mod lock this thread before we get any more of these idiots posting here.
    Im not taking the piss, I actually timed myself. Yes I did it quicker in my head.
    Using a calculator might be quicker for some people but the website linked to would take me considerably longer.

Why?
    Because I would have to key in 18 pieces of info, (well, only 13 for me). Also it took 45 mins for someone to post a link to the website. Edit: Actually make that 7 hours because thats how long it was for the OP

That website doesnt save any time, a calculator might for some, but not obviously for me or Slutmonkey57b

And no, I never once before today ever heard of these calculators so I dont believe most people use them.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:

The irony :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It could become a bit more complex if you, say, need 500 points, but want to find out what grades could come up to it.
    Yesterdays XKCD was about the very topic. It won't quite be a NP-Complete problem based on the numbers being multiples of 5. There were a few solutions done up in python that could be modified to suit this. I haven't looked at the online calculator, they might cover this.
    The point I'm making is, to generate a list of what gardes would add to a certain number would be quicker for a computer, unless you are rain man or something, but I'd still imagine a computer would display the information quicker, than rain man could write it down.

Im not taking the piss, I actually timed myself. Yes I did it quicker in my head.
    Using a calculator might be quicker for some people but the website linked to would take me considerably longer.

Why?
    Because I would have to key in 18 pieces of info, (well, only 13 for me). Also it took 45 mins for someone to post a link to the website. Edit: Actually make that 7 hours because thats how long it was for the OP

That website doesnt save any time, a calculator might for some, but not obviously for me or Slutmonkey57b

And no, I never once before today ever heard of these calculators so I dont believe most people use them.

Lol. You really just don't get it do you?

How about you read Explosive_Cornflake's post.
    Like I've said already, it's not an issue of whether someone can or cannot do it. It's trying to find different combinations of points that will yield a result.

Woohoo! Gratz you! You can do the solution quicker than you can put it into a calculator (notwithstanding the fact that the situation you choose to include is ridiculously singular). The fact remains that you are trying to exert your superiority in this thread and that is what pisses me off. Like I've said, did you consider the people who are weak at maths/arithmetic?

I get it, apparently in half the time you can :)

I did the LC, I worked out the combinations that I thought possible/likely and I did it all quicker than I would have with that website. (For kicks I worked out 3 possible scenarios, first on paper and then on that website and I did it quicker the former way).

I read Explosive_Cornflake's post, and I knew what you'd say after reading it. Wow, maybe Im psychic. :)

Or you're predictable. Now I know, why should I bother getting into an argument with a predictable school kid who cant even do simple arithmetic. Because its raining.

Read Explosive_Cornflake's post, and his link. He's moving the thread way beyond the origional problem.
    Explosive_Cornflake is talking about the likes of the countdown number problem, give us two of your big 'uns Carol and lets see if I hit the target.

Thats not what people do. You dont think, right I need 500. What are all the combinations that can achieve that.

You write down all your subjects and draw up scenarios of possible results (probably 3) and see if you can achieve that. You are not concerned about the outcome where you get 6 higher level A1s if you study 4 ordinary subjects.

Continue to try fudge the issue, you've already admited that its not the fact that Im right that bugs you but that Im superior to you.

Everyone can add up in their heads, it's just slower (for me anyway) and less handy than seeing it on a screen. So what? How many people here do you think are going to study maths or have it in their college course anyway? Only really Engineering and Computer Science..relatively few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Im left handed so apparantly I process problems simultaneously

Mental arithmatic is usually faster in my head.

• Advertisement

I get it, apparently in half the time you can :)

I did the LC, I worked out the combinations that I thought possible/likely and I did it all quicker than I would have with that website. (For kicks I worked out 3 possible scenarios, first on paper and then on that website and I did it quicker the former way).

And what about the people who do not posses your super-uber-cool maths skills.
    I read Explosive_Cornflake's post, and I knew what you'd say after reading it. Wow, maybe Im psychic. :)

Uhm nice one I guess?
    Or you're predictable. Now I know, why should I bother getting into an argument with a predictable school kid who cant even do simple arithmetic. Because its raining.

Is there a reason your making it personal?
    Read Explosive_Cornflake's post, and his link. He's moving the thread way beyond the origional problem.
    Explosive_Cornflake is talking about the likes of the countdown number problem, give us two of your big 'uns Carol and lets see if I hit the target.

Well fundamentally you could make this out to be a rather elementary and interesting NP problem (for fun I guess, if thats the right word), and write a few nice programs for it. So it is easy to relate it to what we are discussing.
    Thats not what people do. You dont think, right I need 500. What are all the combinations that can achieve that.

Well mate you are very wrong there. Everyone does that, especially the people who don't know whether or not they got their course, which these calculators would particularly be useful to.
    You write down all your subjects and draw up scenarios of possible results (probably 3) and see if you can achieve that. You are not concerned about the outcome where you get 6 higher level A1s if you study 4 ordinary subjects.

Wow. Infallible logic. Honestly.
    Continue to try fudge the issue, you've already admited that its not the fact that Im right that bugs you but that Im superior to you.

Lol. O Kaptain, can I have your babies?

Advertisement