Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy me a car!! ~7k

Options
  • 03-07-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

homerjk wrote:
    Hey everyone,

looking for some advice.

First things first, I am emigrating in September 08 so that is one major factor in my car purchase. Whatever it is I buy I would like to not have lost too much and be able to get rid of it.

As I don't want the car to lose too much value within a year I was thinking of going for an older reputable car.

Tbh, if you are looking for a car to easily sell on when you are finished with it, I would be inclined to look at a modest sized petrol engined car around the 1.3l mark, along the lines of a Toyota Corolla.

Its not going to depreciate much, and will be a lot easier to shift than a larger petrol car.

Otherwise, diesel engined cars are your other option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Hey everyone,

looking for some advice.

First things first, I am emigrating in September 08 so that is one major factor in my car purchase. Whatever it is I buy I would like to not have lost too much and be able to get rid of it. I wont be in a blind panic to sell it because I will have someone behind to sell it but obviously it would be nice to sell it before I go!

As I don't want the car to lose too much value within a year I was thinking of going for an older reputable car.

I have seen these 3 cars and I would love to purchase one of them.
    1. A4
    2. A4
    3. A4

I am viewing number 1 tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with these cars? What do you think they will be worth in about a year and a bit time? As the are a big petrol engine would I be able to get rid of it? Reviews seem to quote 35 - 40 mpg, is this realistic?

I have also looked at some Skoda Octavias and Seat Toledos, which for the same money I could get younger model and a diesel engine. However I would be afraid they would depreciate a lot and be hard to get rid off. I would have liked a Passat that started in 2001, but this is a bit out of my range.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Here's another one: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=689057. It's been on for a while, if the owner still has it then i'm sure they'd be willing to negotiate on price. Just make sure with any car, particularly the 1.8 VAG engines, that the timing belt has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That red one looks nice, SE spec plus a few extras. Just check it all works!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Also, 2001-2002 petrol Ford Mondeos go for around 6-7k. They are an absolute peach. Every mag I have raves about them, most saying that they are the best car in their class. They handle very well, and even the base model (1.8 petrol with 125bhp) is nippy enough.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=688948
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=683035
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=712080

Thanks guys.
    The red one is gone unfortunately. Its a pity you think this big petrol engines may be hard to get rid off. I was looking forward to owning one of these A4s. I already owned a Golf diesel and it was great but the mileage on any of these diesels is massive. The reason why i didn't go for a 1.6 was because any review I read said it made the car too sluggish. If I did go for a 1.6 do you think it would be easier to sell?

I've just noticed these, 1, 2 they look nice and Hondas have a great reputation. However, maybe im just blind but I dont see too many of this version about which makes me think they would be hard to sell.

I actually like the look of those Mondeos and although I have read all the great reports about them I would have thought they would be hard to sell as they are so plain. Although it would give me the added advantage of looking like a Garda!!

If I did buy any of these cars and i got 3K - 3.5k next September then i would be more than happy. Unrealistic? You know what, having working out the maths, I think the best option for me would be to spend around €1500 quid on a well built older car and just drive it till I leave! what you guys reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

homerjk wrote:
    You know what, having working out the maths, I think the best option for me would be to spend around €1500 quid on a well built older car and just drive it till I leave! what you guys reckon?

That's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Also, 2001-2002 petrol Ford Mondeos go for around 6-7k. They are an absolute peach. Every mag I have raves about them, most saying that they are the best car in their class. They handle very well, and even the base model (1.8 petrol with 125bhp) is nippy enough.

Base model 1.8l is 110bhp in this country, you needed to go to zetec spec to get the 125bhp tuned engine.

Cheap big old car it is for me then!

I'd love to get one of those mercs they have in the movies that the bad guy foreign diplomats drive with the wee flags on the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Everyone seems to think so - except me! I've driven several Mondeos, and I would describe the handling of all as, well, ok. High-speed stability seems to me to be a weak point in particular. I'm not claiming to know better than all the motoring journalists of the world, just my opinion.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I went for this in the end. Got it for 1800. it is absolutely fecking spotless and everything in it is electric. Still have the master key in its packet and everything. The back box is gone on it and there is a slight vibration when im slowing down until I speed up again, but apart from that I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement