Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs in sligo

Options
  • 03-07-2007 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

ok so im startin in the college in september again and i wanna have a job this year so ive a bit of extra cash as im workin in the bank at the mo so im a bit flush til september lol!if anyone knows of any clothes shops that are lookin for staff from september on let me know ok???lolol thought id give thsi a go as i can find no jobs online :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Your best bet might be the Johnson's Court Mall when it opens in August.

28 new shops including a Virgin Music shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 miabella

Yeah i was just wondering the same about jobs...probably heading there for college in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From other thread:
    Not the easiest place to find work.

Bar work and work in supermarkets (Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco) can be found fairly easy. Or Toucan in Finisklin is always hiring (though possibly not given the student hours and such)

Go for work in a supermarket if you're not too fussy but send in an application for each as soon as you accept an offer from the IT as they can have pretty large waitings list to get through.
    PS - completely forgot about the Johnson's Court shopping centre - cannae wait for that. About time we got a shopping centre (i'm disregarding that "woeful" excuse for a shopping centre in Quayside).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Johnson's court would be a good place but the vast majority of the work there would be 9-6 work. So it would only really be good for weekend work. Tesco in Sligo are 24hr so has very flexible hours for college students. I worked there for the last three years and I will probably be back there in September (that's if they're not glad to see the back of me). It's handy work and the hours are pretty good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stalking information ++

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    (i'm disregarding that "woeful" excuse for a shopping centre in Quayside).

Whats your beef with the Quayside?:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing really there, bad health shops and a few clothes shops.

As opposed to...
    What else would you (and Basq) like to see there?
    Just curious!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stalking information ++
    :D It's nice to know someone cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Gillie wrote:
    Whats your beef with the Quayside?:confused:

Whoever designed the place needs to be given a good slap! Having to walk through a shop (Next) to reach another part of the centre. :rolleyes: The street leading to the centre from Wine Street not having a (glass) roof. Being able to reach the car park from said street by lift but having to go into the centre and down into the bowls of it to pay for your parking and then go up to the car park. The rather crap shops. Why hasn't Sligo got an Easons? Health food shops which sell more or less the same thing as the other. Neither sells dairy-free cheese I discovered the other day. A cafe where the waffle machine has been broken for weeks (major gripe in this household! :D )

BTW has anyone seen the ad for a store manager for the Virgin Megastore on Nixers.com where Johnsons Court is referred to as Johnston Court and descibed as being
    a haven for out-of-town shoppers.
    :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not to mention have to go to the lowest level to get to the upper level (with toilets / dry-cleaners).

Ah ffs lads! One step at a time here!
    Remember that only two years ago we had nothing!

It's not that badly designed either! Don't know why you want a roof where you specified genie?

The having to go through Next thing is a pain but they are the Anchor store so i'd say they specified that to catch more impulse buyers!

There are payment machines on three levels afaik but i'll check that.

Fair point about the toilets.

All in all the quayside has brought a huge boost to Sligo in terms of expenditure and employment from what I can see anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Totally agree with most of the points about the Quayside although we are going way off topic.
    I hate having to walk through Next to get to the other shops, especially when there is a sale on.
    The lift is mad, you get in one way and then notice the door os open behind you for you to get out. How can the ground floor be level 4??
    And yes when are we going to get an Eason?

Hopefully there'll be an easons in the Johnsons Court development. Otherwise the new building on the corner of John St./Harmony Hill would be perfect!

Haven't heard it mentioned though. I thought the building at Harmony Hill was going to be a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Gillie wrote:
    Ah ffs lads! One step at a time here!
    Remember that only two years ago we had nothing!

It's not that badly designed either! Don't know why you want a roof where you specified genie?

The having to go through Next thing is a pain but they are the Anchor store so i'd say they specified that to catch more impulse buyers!

There are payment machines on three levels afaik but i'll check that.

Fair point about the toilets.

All in all the quayside has brought a huge boost to Sligo in terms of expenditure and employment from what I can see anyway!

Re. the roof, I just thought that a glass one would be nice, more practical as the street wouldn't be open to the elements. The street would be bright and airy could have cafe tables outside etc., but if you like getting wet then fair enough! :D

And re. the having to walk through Next thing, I worked in a bookshop in the UK which was situated between a pedestrianised street at the rear and the main High Street at the front and people simply used it as a means of getting from one to the other. A few may have bought something which caught their eye in transit but the vast majority didn't.

I realise that it has brought employment to Sligo and I was glad that Sligo was at last getting a shopping centre, I was just very disappointed that more thought didn't go into the overall design and ease of use of the place. The basement floor for example is a real dungeon and I agree that having to go down there then walk up the gangway to the car park is a real pain.

magnumlady wrote:
    Haven't heard it mentioned though. I thought the building at Harmony Hill was going to be a pub?

WHAT!!!:eek:
    I thought there would be no way that a pub would get permission in that area considering that it is a flash point for trouble!

Are you sure?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

flynnser19 wrote:
    ok so im startin in the college in september again and i wanna have a job this year so ive a bit of extra cash as im workin in the bank at the mo so im a bit flush til september lol!if anyone knows of any clothes shops that are lookin for staff from september on let me know ok???lolol thought id give thsi a go as i can find no jobs online :D

Hey your best bet would be to try.. everywhere! All the pubs, restaurants shops etc. I'd say your bound to find somewhere as the majority of places will probably be letting go of Summer staff and I'd say they'll be looking for some part-timers and shift-workers anyway.

BTW, I'm just glad Sligo actually has some decent chainstores such as Next, Principles Oasis etc. The layout of the center is just secondary, it doesn't matter.

genie wrote:
    Re. the roof, I just thought that a glass one would be nice, more practical as the street wouldn't be open to the elements. The street would be bright and airy could have cafe tables outside etc., but if you like getting wet then fair enough! :D

And re. the having to walk through Next thing, I worked in a bookshop in the UK which was situated between a pedestrianised street at the rear and the main High Street at the front and people simply used it as a means of getting from one to the other. A few may have bought something which caught their eye in transit but the vast majority didn't.

I realise that it has brought employment to Sligo and I was glad that Sligo was at last getting a shopping centre, I was just very disappointed that more thought didn't go into the overall design and ease of use of the place. The basement floor for example is a real dungeon and I agree that having to go down there then walk up the gangway to the car park is a real pain.

Fair enough!
    The building itself was dogged with planning, building & cost issues.
    In the end it was a miracle that it was finished at all!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Gillie wrote:
    I thought there would be no way that a pub would get permission in that area considering that it is a flash point for trouble!

Agreed. I think the building looks too 'classy' to be a pub. It looks like it might be for offices?

• Advertisement

Madge wrote:
    Agreed. I think the building looks too 'classy' to be a pub. It looks like it might be for offices?
    Actually I remember having a look in the window of it last week and I think it looked like offices too.

Nice building tho!

Back on topic.
    Hows the job hunting going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Envy always look for floor/bar staff when the students come back. Pay wouldn't be great and you'd finish up late and not get out too often, but I suppose you'd save money that way.
    If a clothes shop is what you're after, bring a stack of C.V.s, a letter explaining what hours you'd be available for, and spend a few hours handing them around when you're up sorting out accomodation. Local papers are pretty much a waste of time for job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

I dont see Virgin advertising for staff anywhere yet????? and there opening in a month???

Gillie wrote:

I thought I read it on here somewhere, unless I'm imagined it!!

Gillie wrote:

Tis alright I got confussed!! Was reading the thread about the building and read your bit that said about the old Woods building going to be a pub, just ignore me!! Old age and all that.:D

magnumlady wrote:
    Tis alright I got confussed!! Was reading the thread about the building and read your bit that said about the old Woods building going to be a pub, just ignore me!! Old age and all that.:D

Not to worry!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

thanks for all the hints everybody!!!youre a laugh you lot lol!!arguing over the shopping centre!!i lived there last year the shopping cntre was a bit of a laugh like but it has some good shops in it i love pull and bear!!!we dont even have that in dundalk and we've four f*cking shopping centres like lol!!

Yeah but ye have a Harvey Norman!
    Go harvey go and all that jazz!

I'd like a Harvey Norman, but I'd have to slap him for that awful annoying advert!

• Advertisement

Half price on laptops, printers, bedding, computers, sofas, electrical.....
    Why not just say EVERYTHING!

Advertisement