Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when does 99p equal €1.79?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Since Marks & Spencer decided it does! Bought a pack of biscuits today and when I peeled off the €1.79 price tag I saw 99p underneath. According to XE.Com £1 = €1.48. That's an extra 31c to them for 1 item :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reminds me of UK magazines and the huge mark ups.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

welcome to Ireland 2007 tbh.

We are even ripped of buying biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They added the 21% VAT to the translated price, by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I understand everything in M&S is imported.
    If the UK price is 99p and they want to add 21% Irish Vat, then surely they should knock off the UK Vat which I think is 17.5%.

It's like being charged on the double

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

the 99p was most likely sterling and not euros

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thaedydal wrote:

ya think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thaedydal wrote:

Noone said otherwise, did you even read the whole thread?
    The OP and other posters would have written 99c if they meant a euro price

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mike65 wrote:
    Reminds me of UK magazines and the huge mark ups.

Magazines have VAT of 13.5% applied here but are VAT exempt in the UK, which accounts for most of the difference after conversion. There's still always a little extra added though.
    micmclo wrote:
    If the UK price is 99p and they want to add 21% Irish Vat, then surely they should knock off the UK Vat which I think is 17.5%.

If they weren't chocolate biscuits they should only have added 13.5% Irish VAT and there would have been no UK VAT. If they were chocolate biscuits the 21% and 17.5% rates apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

You often see prices displayed in several currencies in shops and the rate for euro/sterling is usully approx. 1 pound = €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

zaph wrote:
    If they weren't chocolate biscuits they should only have added 13.5% Irish VAT and there would have been no UK VAT. If they were chocolate biscuits the 21% and 17.5% rates apply.

Why do both rates apply if they're chocolate-covered? I thought that you couldn't have double taxation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

zaph wrote:

Zaph means that chocolate biscuits attract 21% VAT in Ireland and 17.5% VAT in the UK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

stop paying for it and complain. if enough people did we wouldnt have a rip off culture

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

On the flip side here. I can buy Irish newspapers in the North cheaper than in Donegal paying in euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

faceman wrote:
    stop paying for it and complain. if enough people did we wouldnt have a rip off culture

well according to bertie we should shut up complaining and just put up with it, cos its for the best of the future of the country for us to be ripped off now...?
    our other option (according to him) is to just commit suicide

you gotta love this country.. i personally dont :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I find that M&S are one of the few UK retailers that charge a simple 1.5 comversion rate from UK to Euro - some such as Coast & Monsoon seem to ahve an exchange rate of 1.65.

In terms of biscuits and magazines.

Some biscuits are 0% vat, some are 13.5% and some are 21%.

In the UK most biscuits are charged at the food rate of 0% unless they are fully coated. - Therefore the M&S price is 99p x 1.5 x 1.21 = €1.79

Magazines are similar - UK = 0% VAT, Ireland = 21% VAT. Again the main distributors set the exchange rate every 6 months & apply the VAT. So UK £3.95 magazine will retail here at approx. €7.25.

At least we aren't paying €1.55 / litre for petrol & Diesel like our neighbours!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Since Marks & Spencer decided it does! Bought a pack of biscuits today and when I peeled off the €1.79 price tag I saw 99p underneath. According to XE.Com £1 = €1.48. That's an extra 31c to them for 1 item :eek:

Costs are higher in Ireland than in the UK, I'd imagine that accounts for the price differential. There's no law that says goods need to be sold at the same price in different markets.

Costs notwithstanding, perhaps M&S's market research people discovered that Irish people are less price sensitive than our English friends and that's why we are charged more. It's M&S's affair to set a price and shoppers' to decide if that price is worth paying.

You need to start peeling off stickers BEFORE you make your purchases so that you can make an informed decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

well according to bertie we should shut up complaining and just put up with it, cos its for the best of the future of the country for us to be ripped off now...?
    our other option (according to him) is to just commit suicide

you gotta love this country.. i personally dont :D

He was talking about whinging. There's a difference between whinging and complaining. I don't think there are many complainers in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

rediguana wrote:
    You need to start peeling off stickers BEFORE you make your purchases so that you can make an informed decision.

Or go to places like Aldi / Lidl. Very, very similar biscuits generally and a fraction of the price. Trouble is I buy too much then and it's affecting the waistline. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

In general, on their clothes anyway M&S are quite good for their conversion rates. Sometimes it even works out a bit cheaper to buy it down her, hence M&S in Liffey Valley being full of Northern women!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Went to the Giant's Causeway last summer. Car park entry free: £5 or €10!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

give them a £50 note and ask them for E90 in change

Advertisement