Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Stampa restaurant

Options
  • 03-07-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Is it gone?
    What's happened it?

All I remember was about a year ago there was a big fuss about Jean Claude Le Plume coming over from england to teach us apes how to cook 'deux pain o gratin' while singing the marseillaise.

Anyone know what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

chabsey wrote:
    Is it gone?
    What's happened it?

All I remember was about a year ago there was a big fuss about Jean Claude Le Plume coming over from england to teach us apes how to cook 'deux pain o gratin' while singing the marseillaise.

Anyone know what happened?

isn't it still there? I know Jean Pierre whats his arse sodded off back to poncy chef land alright but then again he was never there anyway (I'm told). Paulo Tullio wrote a review of it recently and wasn't overly impressed, reckons it's gone downhill. Shame because it's one of the more elegant restaurants around.

edit: the french chef's actual name escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

biko, Fresh Meat Ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

aidan24326 wrote:
    isn't it still there? I know Jean Pierre whats his arse sodded off back to poncy chef land alright but then again he was never there anyway (I'm told). Paulo Tullio wrote a review of it recently and wasn't overly impressed, reckons it's gone downhill. Shame because it's one of the more elegant restaurants around.

I think it's gone, not listed on their site, not on any up to date site. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It got rebranded and totally redesigned as Balzac at start of the year AFAIK. Been gettin pretty good reviews from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

DavyD_83 wrote:
    It got rebranded and totally redesigned as Balzac at start of the year AFAIK. Been gettin pretty good reviews from what I've seen.

Didn't know that. I think the French guy coming over didn't work out as he was rarely there and was chef in name only.

It's certainly a nice dining room. Wonder who their head chef is now.

I just remembered yer man's name it was Jean Christophe Novelli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Balzac....if thats pronounced as I think it is I definitely will not be eating there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

DarkJager wrote:
    Balzac....if thats pronounced as I think it is I definitely will not be eating there...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

La Stampa? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pighead wrote:
    biko, Fresh Meat Ahoy!

heh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Good food place about 1998-2000.

Not so good since. Nice place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pighead wrote:
    biko, Fresh Meat Ahoy!
    Thanks matey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved on AH as requested sir :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I booked a table for me and my missus last year. Booked it about 5-6weeks in advance to be sure to be sure. The fookers called me the morning I was booked for and told me the restaurant was closed, that there had been a mix-up. Ate in Tiger-Becs instead, really enjoyed it.

I don't know what happened Jean Paul Christoff, doubt he was ever there much to begin with. Their website no longer mentions 'La Stampa Restaurant', it seems to have been replaced by 'Balzac Restaurant'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He was a consultant. Big scam to sell it. Food never lived up to rep and relationship ended. Now run by an Irish chef as Balzac but getting mixed reviews. It's a nice room and I've eaten in it under several different names but it's never wowed me. Waiting staff are always rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DavyD_83 wrote:

I ate in Balzac about two weeks ago, and thought it was great. The menu is designed by Paul Flynn, the owner of the Tannery restaurant in Dungarvan, Waterford.

Food is delicious. Full three courses each, carafe of wine and two bottles of sparkling water came to about 125 Euro. Considering the quality of the food, I thought it was well worth it. I'd have minor complaints about the speed of the service (a little slow) and the 12.5% service charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 prunes d'agens

Went there for a celebratory dinner. Had the mussels and clams mariniere as a starter. Would normally expect a couple of unopened molluscs in an appetiser portion, but was surprised to find up to about a third of the clams were still tightly closed in the serving pot, as well as quite a few dodgy looking mussels whose shells were barely open! Maitre d' was unapologetic and claimed he was there when the shellfish was delivered that morning so they were fresh. However he did agree that the shellfish which remained closed would have been dead. A new definition of freshness for me! We were told everything was cooked together. Do they not discard the dead molluscs before cooking or before serving??? Given Paul Flynn of the Tannery has put his name to this restaurant, I am surprised that there seems to be a complete disregard of the basic guidelines in handling shellfish. I am certainly not rushing back to try their fondue of shellfish for two at €120!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I would have handed the whole lot back to them prunes. There's no excuse for sending out dead shellfish, damn dangerous too.

Advertisement