Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like the way Leitrim has changed in the past 10 years?

• 03-07-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Let this be the first real topic of conversation. :o

I think everyone from Leitrim will agree that we've seen big changes in our little county. Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would have seen the unprecedented level of house building in the county? and the population rising? Who would have envisioned the likes of Masonite and MBNA setting up shop? The infrastructure, roads and services have vastly improved in 10 years. And we finally got that traffic light we were all waiting for :D Christ, we even have a 24hour Tesco and soon we'll have a shopping centre too.

Personally, I'm content with the way Leitrim has moved on over the past 10 years. Leitrim has still maintained its beauty and charm despite all the changes.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Leitrim isnt doing too badly. Theres definitely some postive developments for people over the last 10 years especially for industry in places like Carrick. Its great when some people with certain skill bases dont have to migrate to the bigger urban centres. But its like everything theres needs to be a bit of sensitivity in planning a direction for the county with people all singing from the same song book. I like the idea of the promotion of Leitrim as a Greenbox area (developing ecotourism in the region). I could imagine that if this ethos were kept that it could provide a good brand for Leitrim for its tourism potential as well as try and maintain its declining farming sector and rediversfy some to organic farming. However, at the same time the new housing developments (as welcome as an increase in housing stock was) in the main part have been intrusive in many of the villages and could have been designed more sensitively i reckon to what the county is trying to portray.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

10 years ago I bought three pints in Glenfarne for a fiver but I don't know what they would cost now:D

Leitrim remains one of the few counties where you can literally walk into someone at night on the country roads as there is no light pollution. There may be a lot of development in places but it is still largely unspoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

I don't think certain infrastructure has changed.

- We still don't have broadband (I don't count satellite).
    - The only road that has improved is the N4 and they charge you to use it now.
    - It's not very nice living in a place full of empty houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

galway008 wrote:
    I don't think certain infrastructure has changed.

- We still don't have broadband (I don't count satellite).
    - The only road that has improved is the N4 and they charge you to use it now.
    - It's not very nice living in a place full of empty houses.

galway008 have to say i disagree with your statements completely,

My mother lives in the country side and has broadband, its set up on a rural scheme, not satellite at all. Its not the fastest thing around but it is faster than dial up, which by the way I remember one place near manorhamilton having a connection speed of 14.4.

N4 toll bridges are on the far side of kinnegad, how many miles is that away from leitrim.

the only point i will agree with you on is the empty houses, or holiday homes as the owners prefer to call them.

Leitrim is being built up, scenic, perfect location, reasonably priced, good infrastructure and yet not ruined by the celtic tiger and all its glory.

Leave leitrm as is, dont spoil it, enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

stepbar wrote:
    Let this be the first real topic of conversation. :o

I think everyone from Leitrim will agree that we've seen big changes in our little county. Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would have seen the unprecedented level of house building in the county? and the population rising? Who would have envisioned the likes of Masonite and MBNA setting up shop? The infrastructure, roads and services have vastly improved in 10 years. And we finally got that traffic light we were all waiting for :D Christ, we even have a 24hour Tesco and soon we'll have a shopping centre too.

Personally, I'm content with the way Leitrim has moved on over the past 10 years. Leitrim has still maintained its beauty and charm despite all the changes.

I totally agree with you there stepbar. Leitrim has definitely moved with the times. I think Carrick on Shannon(traffic congestion aside) is a real success, the growth of the town over 10 years has surprised me. What about our 25 metre 5 lane swimming pool, cineplex and by xmas we should have our bowling alley(no more trips to longford!). I think its great that these sort of amenities
    are springing up to cater for the increasing population rather than just the pub as the only place to go for a night out.

• Advertisement

The broadband coverage is quite good now. Access to information and info technology in general is good. (wasnt there a time when some places up til recently wernt able to get some of the daily newspapers!)
    The dependency on the car is desperate. People have no choices. The tranport infrastructure is bad. I know that the Rural Transport initiative are operating in some of these areas around Leitrim but really they should be as a top up as opposed to "instead of" a core public transport service. They also should be covering the whole of the region. Its people that are isolated that really need them.
    Ironically, I think people are more at risk walking these roads than ever they were with the volume and speed of cars. The grass verges on some of the roadsides could be cut away somehow (no hedges i swear) so that people dont take their life in their hands trying to go down a boreen. And if you get up on a bike. :eek: Not great if we are trying to stay healthy and/or attract tourists to some of our lanes.
    Reckon if they sorted out a reasonable public transport timetable, (dont get me started on the demise of the rail) and sorted out the objections about opening up the countryside to walkers ... Leitrim could be a great place for us to actually get out in and enjoy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think Leitrim has got the balance of development and heritage better than say Sligo for example. With a few exceptions (Dromaheir and Keshcarrigan being two) Leitrim hasn't fallen into the building outstripping demand scenario in the same way as alot of other places. It all feels more organic a process than the headlong rush of development elsewhere.
    Carrick has maintained it's character alongside all the development. It's great that there's so many new shops and services there without ruining the place.
    Rural transport is almost non-existant. It would never occur to me to consider a Bus Éireann bus unless it was on the N4. It's something that needs to be adressed. There's still alot of older people living by themselves and relying on neighbours and relatives to bring them places. That lack of independance is one of the factors in many old people moving to sheltered accomodation and nursing homes before it may be necessary. I know of several older people who had to give up their way of life becasue they were practically cut off, or often scared to live alone.
    The Rural Transport Inititive is a good idea, but I feel the people who plan it have only a slight grasp of the geography of the places it operates. It's only a piecemeal solution anyway.
    Overall though, I think Leitrim has improved. There's things I miss, but I suppose change is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

is it true leitrim has never had a lotto winner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

intheknow wrote:
    is it true leitrim has never had a lotto winner ?

No, that's not true. I know of at least one. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Carrick is starting to look like Galway city -- nice in the middle, but sh!tty on all approaches, with uncontrolled development everywhere. 10 years ago it looked a helluva lot better.

All in all, having grown up there, it's not nearly as good as it was, but would still be my #1 choice in terms of location to bring up my kids (all practicalities aside).

Still has it's own charm -- being asked in McGoldrick's for ID at 32 years of age was flattering, despite the fact that Paddy served me hundreds of times in the previous 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote:
    I think Leitrim has got the balance of development and heritage better than say Sligo for example.

Explain please?:confused:

Because as a county, it has retained more of it's character and tradition than most. It has modernised without losing it's feel.
    In my opinion, Sligo has changed in appearance and socially far more. It's communities are weakened by people relocating from where they grew up due to ridiculous property prices, and the influx of well monied people to replace them, resulting in wealthy enclaves such as Rosses Point, Ballincar and Strandhill. Likewise, other people are buying property in places they have no desire to live in, because that's what they can afford. I know of numerous people from Sligo town who have moved to Coollaney, Collooney, Riverstown etc., not because they wanted that lifestyle, but because they couldn't afford a similar house in town. Many of them have not embraced the rural lifestyle wholeheartedly. This sort of semi-enforced migration leads to less of a community feel in many small towns and villages, and they turn into dormitary towns for Sligo.
    I think that Leitrim hasn't had the same sort of changes, or at least not as drastic as Sligo.

I'd agree with some of that.

But in relation to your point about ppl not being able to afford to Live in the town. You'll find that is the case in most urban centres in Ireland.

In fairness Carrick has modernised but not really anywhere else in Leitrim. Correct me if i'm wrong on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

il gatto wrote:
    This sort of semi-enforced migration leads to less of a community feel in many small towns and villages, and they turn into dormitary towns for Sligo.
    I think that Leitrim hasn't had the same sort of changes, or at least not as drastic as Sligo.

I agree with this however but not everyone can move in next door to mom and dad or even down the street Sligo has limited housing and this migaration is a part of life years ago it was the other way around people moved into the towns as there was lack of housing and work in these areas. This is far more prevalent in Dublin than in Sligo with people moving to different commuter towns however I do see friends moving and feel sorry that they have to move to Collooney ;) and other areas but its only 10/15Kms away and nowhere as bad a the situation in Dublin and there are other towns cities which are probably worse than Sligo i'd say Galway is far worse with people moving to Tuam and into parts of Mayo.

My point was that it is the case in most places, but less so in Leitrim. I used Sligo as a local example, not as an unusual case. And I was more concerned with the effects on life in these small towns than people having to commute 10-15kms. That's hardly unusual.
    Again, Carrick has outpaced the rest of the county, but it's not true that nowhere else in the county has modernised. Maybe it's just not as blatent in it's development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

il gatto wrote:
    Rural transport is almost non-existant. It would never occur to me to consider a Bus Éireann bus unless it was on the N4. It's something that needs to be adressed.

I agree with this. I used to live in Gortletteragh and needed to get my car serviced in Mohill. But how to get home from the garage and then back late in the day to collect the car? No buses, no taxi. Luckily, a neighbour was going my way and saw me walking back home but otherwise it would have been a long, wet walk!
    And what if the local mechanic or whatever is closed (on holiday maybe) and you need to get into Dromod or Carrick or Rooskey?
    Or you need to get to Dromod to get the train?
    Rural transport (not just in Leitrim) needs to be sorted out all over Ireland

I think when people start banging on about traffic congestion, pollution and over reliance on cars, they need to step back and look at rural Ireland. Not having a car, or at least access to someone obliging with a car, is not an option. It's not possible to lead a normal productive life in the country without one. There are always some people who can get by, but most really can't. I for one work some strange hours, and I cannot justify €30 a day min to get to work and back with further expense should I need to do any other journies.

On a separate, change related point, Aughnasheelin has in the last week lost it's post office, it's shop (same place) and it's parish priest. Don't know yet if priest will be replaced either. Big blow to the place, all happening at once.

il gatto wrote:
    On a separate, change related point, Aughnasheelin has in the last week lost it's post office, it's shop (same place) and it's parish priest. Don't know yet if priest will be replaced either. Big blow to the place, all happening at once.
    Thats desperate. Again, these are essential services and the main stay for so many people in rural areas, especially for our older population, which Leitrim has disproportionate numbers. Many arent necessairily car owners. They wonnt be heading into Sligo or Carrick to Tescos. People will resort to putting their money back under their mattresses, (god forbid) making them targets for fraud. The Post Office offers so many valuable services including banking. The other thing is that in that cosy Dublin 2 reactionary thing, the church has had its day.(live and let live I say). It however provides such a social function and spiritual function, tackling loneliness and social isolation in the country (in the absence of proper statutory social services) that the non replacement of a priest in a local church is a huge loss. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

il gatto wrote:

really? I know the people in question. I use to go to secondary school with one of their sons. Have you any info as to why the PO was closed down? ASFIK there was a small shop along side the PO as well.

• Advertisement

I don't want to spread gossip, but I believe the owners wife is quite sick, and they've just decided to get out of business. I suppose that's a result of the An Post system of people owning the post offices privately.

Well that's fair enough so.
    Sad to hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was in Carrick today at the car boot sale, whats the building going up behind that petrol station going to be?
    I think Carrick is a good little town, much better organised then Sligo, with Heatons and Tesco out of the town.
    Is that right about a bowling alley going there? That will be great.

Thats gonna be the 'mulvey centre', there's meant to be a kids indoor playarea,
    bowling alley, and other stuff which i cant remember off hand, toymaster are moving out there as well. I think there was going to be a cafe as well, not 100% on that as i only glanced at the plans.

That sounds great, I'll keep a lot out for that opening, its gone up pretty quick.

I was told that it is supposed to be opening in October, hopefully thats right as i love bowling(not very good at it but i love it!!)

I love bowling too, it was such a shame when the alley in Sligo shut down.
    We end up going to Bundoran or Castlebar now.
    What we need next is an ice skating rink too! Think of the amount of people that would bring to a town.

Great to see places that arent all about drinking. Good for the youth population and some of us who get bored every so often for difference. The Dock seems to have quite abit of exhibitions and bands on too. Its a lovely site anyway, think it was an old courthouse? Say it could tell a few tales.

Thought this might interest ye:

From the Sligo Weekender:
    Leitrim booming, Sligo lags behind
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007

THE rate of migration into Leitrim, per head of population, is more than four times that into Sligo.

Leitrim has the second highest rate of in-migration in the country after Meath while Sligo has the second lowest rate after Dublin (city and county).

And in-migration is now running at a higher rate into the western region generally than into the rest of the country.

However, while the population of the West of Ireland is growing at an impressive rate, the rising tide is not lifting all population boats, according to the Council for the West.

Seamus Caulfield, a member of the campaigning Western Bishops' Crusade in the 1990s which pinpointed alarming population decline in the region, has hailed the demographic turnaround - but says lessons can still be learned.

Commenting on the most recent Census, Professor Caulfield, a founder member of the Council for the West, said the Census of 1991 was one of the factors which started the alarm bells ringing regarding population decline in the whole western region of Connacht/Donegal with the later addition of Clare.

“In 1991 the region was declining in population by over 2,000 per annum. In the four year period 2002 to 2006 the population of the region increased by a massive 57,000 or over 14,000 per annum,” he said.

Professor Caulfield said that in 1991 there was still a significant “nat-ural increase” of population in the West region where births exceeded deaths by approximately 3,000 per annum. But this gain was more than wiped out by 5,000 more leaving the region per annum than were coming into the region, resulting in the net annual decline of 2,000 at that time.

The dramatic change in fortune for the region has not come about as a result of any major change in the ‘natural increase.’ The natural increase of the region is now just over 4,000 per annum, but unlike 1991, this increase is now being added to by inmigration of almost 10,000 per annum.

But he said there were disparities within the region, citing the difference in the rate of in-migration between Leitrim and Sligo and parts of Mayo.

He said there was an urgent need to transfer our focus from regional and county level to parish area level, to identify the main components of population change at that level and to seek to achieve at such local level what has been so spectacularly achieved at regional level.

Council for the West Chairman Sean Hannick said the level of in-migration to the seven county region served by the Council for West was most impressive, and said the Leitrim figures were gratifying.

“Leitrim had a tax designation pilot programme for the last five years and that has proved most significant in addressing the population decline there. Similar progressive thinking might now be applied to other regions still in decline,” he said.

• Advertisement

There may be a certain high generated itself by the housing sector. I presume when they mean the tax incentive, they mean the rural renewal scheme. That was the scheme that gave people breaks for buying to rent in areas or breaks to buying to live within particular areas. (wasnt it?). The way I have heard about that is that there is an artificial high as alot of the inward migrants are temporary in nature, eg houses are been rented out by eg eastern european construction workers. If climate changes (eg I think that scheme may have ended unless its got another extension) that the migrant workers may well leave as well.However it wouldnt explain all increases.
    Have you seen yesterdays article in The Irish Times about Leitrim, pg 11 "Leitrim bound and Loving it". I think articles like this help the profile of the county to the outside as well as giving pride to people living there. Article relates to Lunasa being the artists in residence in the county and how theres a revival of traditional music. They have been meeting locals even going into nursing homes. Its a way for them to gain insight to the grassroots of traditional music and give ideas for their own music. This is an initiative kickstarted by Leitrim Co Co. I would have thought its that kind of work proactive work by a council thats so crucial and perhaps thats the kinda stuff that Sligo Co Co could or shold be doing more of? Sligo has alot going for it more than an economic "gateway". Its heritage for one.

Advertisement