Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like the way Leitrim has changed in the past 10 years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I could be wrong, but was there not something that various coporations were buying properties in leitrim to relocate people.

Also, property prices are low in leitrim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

nanook wrote:
    I could be wrong, but was there not something that various coporations were buying properties in leitrim to relocate people.

Also, property prices are low in leitrim.

Phew fair play Nanook, thought somone would have to start up a thread on Organic Farming or something to keep leitrim alive! :D

Would that be the Rural resettlement scheme I wonder you were thinking of? People (families) were resettled from urban areas to places like Leitrim and Clare etc. There used to be a designated officer and everything in Leitrim Co. Co. but as far as I know they are gone? Somone else may be able to throw a little bit more light on it.
    The other active thing has been The Western Commission, they have been quite busy promoting the west as a place to work as well.
    http://www.wdc.ie/
    Cant understand the discrepancy then between sligo and Leitrim.

tuppence wrote:
    Phew fair play Nanook, thought somone would have to start up a thread on Organic Farming or something to keep leitrim alive! :D

Was there not enough organic farming going on their recently.

Thought I heard something on the news about some strange weeds growing :)

nanook wrote:
    Was there not enough organic farming going on their recently.

Thought I heard something on the news about some strange weeds growing :)

Not in North leitrim!
    Maybe another reason for increase in population down Carrick way.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 liamfortune76

the lebanese restaurant in jamestown is magnificent 24 hour tesco rocks too

• Advertisement

Suppose it is a time of change when theres a Lebanese restuarant in Jamestown. Good to know its good. Anyone know what the indian restuarant(s) are like in Carrick? (another sign of change). A good recommendation would be good if anyone has eaten in any? :)

there is/was an indian above the butchers down beside the oarsman. Would recommend anythign in there, chicken sag is exceptionally good (if you like spinach that is) but all their masala's are first class

Sag paneer will do as a side! Thanks for the recommendation. Hope to check it out soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I for one don't like what's happening to Carrick: Boots, Tesco, Supermacs, some other multinational in the middle of the town (what someone here described as the nicer part of Carrick). I agree,- it is- the outskirts are disgusting, new government buildings are TOWERING over the rest of the architecture, there's a disgustingly designed and sited toilet building in front of the Landmark by the Shannon, and all that development over the bridge, on the river, is visible from the other side obviously, and they are again horribly designed apartments.
    There are lots of places to eat out, yes that is great...but for me, Carrick has lost the charm it had even 5 years ago. Thank God for Cryans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does Leitrim still not have a Dunnes?

• Advertisement

wel I suppose if there is nothing in carrick then there is no other town big enough to support it directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

[QUOTE=
    What we need next is an ice skating rink too! Think of the amount of people that would bring to a town.[/QUOTE]

Hear Hear for the ice rink!!! I love skating and I'm sure there would be a lot of custom.

Hear Hear for the ice rink!!! I love skating and I'm sure there would be a lot of custom.

Yes even a seasonal outdoor one would be cool, the way they have them in Germany and Austria.The ones in Dublin price themselves out of it for most folk I wudl reckon. Then of course, those things should be free or marginally costd. Perhaps one of those big multinationals could give somthing bck to the community!

nanook wrote: »
    there is/was an indian above the butchers down beside the oarsman. Would recommend anythign in there, chicken sag is exceptionally good (if you like spinach that is) but all their masala's are first class

Finally got there. That would be a yum with a capital Y. Really lovely food. Reasonally priced. Cosy. Staff really friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Finally got there. That would be a yum with a capital Y. Really lovely food. Reasonally priced. Cosy. Staff really friendly too.

It's excellent all right. The Chinese in the middle of the town (Chungs) is excellent as well and unbelievable reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I was really disappointed with Vittos Italian restaurant in the Market Yard.. paid them in cash after the meal and the waitress didn't come back with the 6euro change and I definitely did not tell her to keep the change or anything... needless to say, didn't leave a tip.
    Also they kept coming over to us to an annoying degree, and came up twice after we had come in to ask us what we were ordering, twice within 2 mins, and our heads were buried in the menus.. and food wasn't great at all, the seafood wasn't so fresh (prawns and squid dishes) and the steaks were the worst I can remember eating in a restaurant...

But the Lebanese restaurant in Jamestown- now there's a different story altogether.. :D That place is unbelievable- food was so so fresh and tasty.. anyone know when it is re-opening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

What do you mean re-opening????? Al Mezza is gorgeous!! We've been there once (due to not living round the corner) and we loved it - great food, fresh an fast! Nice and cosy as well.

Advertisement