Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got the new van! Sold the old!

Options
  • 03-07-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

So it finally happened. I got my new van last week and sold the old one yesterday for €2,500. Which I'm happy enough with, just glad to get rid of it, even though I put about €1,800 into it during the few months I had it and a lot of time/worry etc as you all know:rolleyes:

So to introduce the new one, a 02 Ford Transit LWB High Roof brought in from the North with 70K on the clock and given a full seeing to by Harris Motors in Rathcoole before they handed it over. It's spotless and I'm really happy with it and it actually moves. On a bit of road I drive on regularly even without a load, my 99 would snail it down to 60kmph, I tested the new one and it can maintain 120kmph no problem! It also has a handy parking sensor on the back bumper. Very handy since there's no back windows.

Here it is anyway (the graphics are just photoshopped on for the time being until the printers have them ready for application).
    mybackac2.th.jpg myfrontdc1.th.jpg mylhsih2.th.jpg myrhscz8.th.jpg

So finally a van worthy of advertising on. I really should have taken a shot of my old one to show the contrast!

Now.. the first batch of questions I have:D
    Roof Racks - I want to get a roof rack on it ASAP. I want a full rack with a removable ladder at the back. The cheapest I've been quoted so far including fitting is €1,000. I'm going to the UK next week I think so could possible get one fitted there. Would also be happy with a used one if I could find one, but can't.

Brakes Squealing I'm not sure what the story is with this, my brakes slightly squeal when I apply pressure. Would this be a result of new pads etc that is just the breaking in period or should I go down to have them checked/fixed?

Sparks Flying! Oops, my bad, the cigarette adaptor wasn't working so I got the one from my old one and was testing (just touching wires) it at traffic lights and it seemed to work. So I was parked and went to peel back some of the rubber on the wire connected to the van and pressed a bit too hard with a pliers and the wire sparked. The cig adaptor that worked when the wires touched, no longer works. Did the spark blow a fuse perhaps and if so, how can I fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Congrats on the new van.What year is the new van and what did you pay for it as my dads looking for one but with a fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's a 2002 and I got it for 10K including VAT with a 3 month warranty and if I need to give it in for repairs within them 3 months, I'll be given a replacement van for free which is very handy to have considering my luck with vans so far!

Thats good,Did you try the the uk route as vrt was only 50 euro?

No I was happy with this deal and the warranty was important to me, which I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of if I got it in the UK. I think I got a good enough deal anyway!

cormie wrote:
    No I was happy with this deal and the warranty was important to me, which I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of if I got it in the UK. I think I got a good enough deal anyway!

Yeah warranty is important.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and I can also choose to pay €500 once the three months are up to get a 12 month warranty which covers engine and all that plus it provides a break down service where they will bring the van to a mechanic if it breaks down. By the way Dre, if you're definite you're getting the Ford Transit, you should get an image of the van online and sort out the positioning of the graphics. It took me quite a while till I was happy with the way I had mine. Just to speed things up for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cormie wrote:
    ...Sparks Flying! Oops, my bad, the cigarette adaptor wasn't working so I got the one from my old one and was testing (just touching wires) it at traffic lights and it seemed to work. So I was parked and went to peel back some of the rubber on the wire connected to the van and pressed a bit too hard with a pliers and the wire sparked. The cig adaptor that worked when the wires touched, no longer works. Did the spark blow a fuse perhaps and if so, how can I fix this?

Congrats on your new van Cormie. I suggest you leave it alone as far as possible and ask gagrge to fix lighter (under warranty).

You paid strong money for the van and it's beyond me why you didn't insist on it being 100%.

Congrats on your new van Cormie. I suggest you leave it alone as far as possible and ask gagrge to fix lighter (under warranty).

You paid strong money for the van and it's beyond me why you didn't insist on it being 100%.

It's the one thing I didn't check and not really something that would stand out for them to check either. I think I'll pop down today maybe and ask them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ahhhh....

Here's me thinking your website was called anTasks.ie all this time....

I thought it was something Irish.

ahhhh....

Here's me thinking your website was called anTasks.ie all this time....

I thought it was something Irish.

lol, really? That's not good:o

What made you realise it was VanTasks? Did I mention it somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

cormie wrote:
    lol, really? That's not good:o

What made you realise it was VanTasks? Did I mention it somewhere?
    From reading the list of services on the side of the van... maybe it's just me... but the tick is probably just a little bit too much tick and not enough 'V'

It shouldn't be an issue on the side of a van, but sitting in your sig I never noticed the V at all until now. I'll be sure to straw poll some other people and see what they see.

From reading the list of services on the side of the van... maybe it's just me... but the tick is probably just a little bit too much tick and not enough 'V'

It shouldn't be an issue on the side of a van, but sitting in your sig I never noticed the V at all until now. I'll be sure to straw poll some other people and see what they see.

Yeah, the first mock of it I had, my mam said "what's antasks" so I made some adjustments and then it was a lot more clear it was a V.

So even the picture of the van didn't hint it in the sig:(

Hopefully you're few and far between:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

dont worry its plainly obvious to me that its vantasks.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Peace at last! Bliss. :)

cormie, stop messing with that pliers NOW! We are sick and tired of your lastest problem, especially when it's self-inflicted. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Cormie, Please please put away the pliers and just stick to driving the thing and putting diesel in it.... wait for "I've put petrol in van by mistake thread...:D "

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well done on finally finding the right van. Is Vantasks your own website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

From VanTasks.ie:
    Our vans are always clean, smart and well maintained, our vans and drivers are fully insured (Hire and Reward including Courier) and each contain GPS navigation systems.

Do I deduce a bit of creative licence here?;)

I'm not knocking it - I could have used for a guy like you around the Kildare area a couple of months ago... Nice professional website - not too flashy, clear message about what you do.

I concur with what others are saying. Buy a decent yoke (which you finally seem to have done - sort of) and cultivate a relationship with a local independant mechanic. If the van is your bread-and-butter maybe you should think about buying new next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Ahh....But we all enjoyed the weekly "How to I fix this thing" instalment from Cormie.:D :D
    Well done on the new van,hope it brings you better luck then the old one and as the others said.....step away from the pilers.:p

BTW how far down the road are you re: the vans graphics??

Logo always read Vantasks.ie to me.

Hehe, well the plan is to expand, some day, which is why I have vans, drivers and each. Just have it prepared for when it happens;) And yup, VanTasks is my own website.

I'm just deciding which sign company to go for at the moment, I have it all laid out the way I want so just have to weigh up the options and see which to go for.

I rang Harris Motors anyway and they said drop it in anytime tomorrow so don't worry folks:D

cormie wrote:
    I'm just deciding which sign company to go for at the moment, I have it all laid out the way I want so just have to weigh up the options and see which to go for.

A mate of mine is doing graphics and if you wanted I could pass you his number,maybe too late for the new van but maybe any future vans. Always good to get few quotes from different people.

• Advertisement

Is he actually in a sign company himself or does he just work doing the artwork etc? I haven't decided which company but if you could let me know, that's be great, as long as there's a discount involved:D

Haven't seen his set up yet but it's his own company. He has the software for creating the graphics and plotters and printers etc. I'll tell him to have a look at the photos you posted and see if it's something he could do. He's starting up himself so he may not have everything needed to do certain jobs(large pictures etc) but mainly text stuff should be ok.

I'll drop you a PM later cause this is getting off topic.:D

Yeah cool thanks a mill:)

Does anyone know if this would work in my van?

Brand New Option Racing Car Alarms, Will fit any car,

9216411_1180566616_0_2-23aa085d959cad755257d1223b3be674_big_.jpg
    9216411_1180566616_1_1-e56400d917dd8dc62b8567cca73e837b_big_.jpg

-Has remote central locking,
    -6 Tone siren,
    -Immobiliser (including remote cut off)
    -Remote boot opener
    -Bonnet trigger,
    -Door triggers, (incase a door/boot/bonnet is forced open)
    -Shock sensor,
    -Hazzard light flasher when alarm triggered,
    -Panick function, (cuts engine in a hijack)
    -Impact sensor, (incase you car is bumped in a parking lot)
    -Ignition tamper sensor (will trigger if the ignition is forced)
    -Anti Hi-jack engine cut off,
    -Car finder function, (will flash headlights in a busy carpark)
    -2 long range remote controls
    -Ultra bright warning LED light, (cant be missed by a thief)
    and more

How would it work considering I don't have a boot, but I have a back door, and I don't have 2 rear passenger doors but I have a side opening door I wonder? How much do these things usually go for and how much would they be to fit does anyone know? :)

should work, but the remote boot opener would need a solenoid to pop the handle open.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could always fit rear passenger doors.

Not your ornery onager

Hehe, and how much do these things usually cost to get installed as I wouldn't have a clue (have enough trouble with a cigarette adaptor:P). How much do they usually go for too as I'm getting the above second hand if I'm getting it at all.

please don't be buying yourself into trouble cormie! keep it simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

cormie wrote:
    Hehe, and how much do these things usually cost to get installed as I wouldn't have a clue (have enough trouble with a cigarette adaptor:P). How much do they usually go for too as I'm getting the above second hand if I'm getting it at all.
    Hey cormie.Thinking of buying a van myself and doing the whole courier thing.You looking for some help with the business.Much rather that be involved in a start project than work for JMC etc...:)

• Advertisement

Wouldn't have enough work on for 2 of us just yet but I'll see how things pan out over the next couple of weeks hopefully, but probably months.:)

Advertisement