Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formating PC

Options
  • 04-07-2007 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me out, I need to format my laptop. It's a few years old and it's really taking it's toll...by asking this question you've probably guessed I'm not the most tech minded person in the world, but there's so much crap on it at this stage that it's really really slow.

I've just been told I have 2MB of memory left...critically low!

I've got stuff like dream weaver, games, millions of stuff installed I never use and just a build up of years worth of crap.

I'm not really botherd about sifting through it all, there's very few things I'd need to back up, so how do I just wipe the whole thing clean and get back to "as new" with just windows etc. so I can then just install the things I use.

And if this is done, would the lap top preform as well as it did the day it was first used or would there be major wear and tear? It's about 4 or 5 years old.

A step by step guide would be great if it didn't take too much time to write and would make it simple for me to do...again, I don't know much more than basic computer use :o

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

slap in your operating system disk and you can reformat your hard drive through this. If its xp it'll probably have the option to delete a partition, so do that and then create a new one and reinstall your OS on that and it should be as good as new.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

If you have XP on your laptop you can probably reinstall, including formatting the drive just by running the system disc that came with the PC. BUT bear in mind that 5 years of updates and service packs have since made their way into your system and the 128 Mb Ram that came with the system 5 years ago is now as useful as a chocolate teapot. You will probably need to upgrade to 512 Mb of ram. This is not difficult or expensive but different systems use different types of ram. You will need to do a search to find out what type of ram your system uses. Or you could cheat and post your system details here and ask. www.komplett.ie is a good place to price ram, though there are lots of places you can try if you are inclined. There are several places on the net that show a walkthrough including pics of how to upgrade or install ram.

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_ram_memory_upgrade.html

lists lots of type of laptops and how to do various upgrades. If yours is not mentioned there do a search and see if you can find one before asking here again if you cannot.

In the meantime prepare to be educated. You will learn a lot more about laptops in general and hopefully how simple it is to do something like upgrade the ram in your laptop as well as a reinstall of the OS.

Good luck.

Advertisement