Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a .ie on the qt

Options
  • 04-07-2007 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I have an busines idea that will take a period of time to get everything up and running.

I want to register a business name with the CRO which will allow me get my preferred .ie domain name and possibly a 2nd business name and 2nd .ie domain name.

I do not want my employers or potential competitors (who would know me !)to find out that the domain name has been registered (and the business name too) by me as they will add 2 and 2 together.

If my partner were to register the business name and website, that might work although I think I would like them to register one and me the other as I hope one would act as a general portal in the future.

Is it possible for me to register business name, show the .ie people that I'm entitled to get the .ie domain name but get say blacknight to be the administrative contact. Havent decided on hosting yet either. Would Blacknight or Hosting365 act as owner or admin contact if they were to get the hosting. Website is further down the road and will take a bit of time also.

Would there be an issue to get my brother to register the business name and .ie website and then transfer over when Im ready to set up my business ? I see that website cant be transferred for the first 60 days.

Last question: if I pay €45 for the .ie domain name and dont set up hosting/website will cost be generally €45 next year or can a reseller charge what they like after year one ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unfortunately hosting companies, such as ourselves, cannot act as proxies for .ie domain registrations.

You may want to talk to the IEDR about possible ways of getting round this, but the only ones I can think of are to get the domain registered to your partner / spouse / better half or to a LTD

Most of the bigger companies handling IE domains charge the same price (or lower) year on year.

If you're not sure just ask them before you buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Delaney

Thanks for the reply Blacknight.

How come on some domain names on whois there are different admin contacts, are these the web designers?

If going down that route would I need some type of agreement from the webdesign company in writing that I actually own the domain name and that I would get the passwords from them. Mind you not sure how that would work because the IEDR would require proof of the owner of the Business Name ?

Am I right to say that one cant transfer ownership within first 2 months. Any potential problems with this ?

Delaney wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Blacknight.

How come on some domain names on whois there are different admin contacts, are these the web designers?

I'm not sure I follow you.

If you can give me an example it might be a lot clearer
    Delaney wrote:
    If going down that route would I need some type of agreement from the webdesign company in writing that I actually own the domain name and that I would get the passwords from them. Mind you not sure how that would work because the IEDR would require proof of the owner of the Business Name ?

The web designer / developer cannot register the domain to themselves. The domain has to be registered to you.
    Delaney wrote:
    Am I right to say that one cant transfer ownership within first 2 months. Any potential problems with this ?

The IEDR policy on domain trades isn't terribly clear at present.
    However if you want to cede a domain to a 3rd party you may do so at any stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

.ie prices will most likely keep going down as they get more popular and competitive and the savings should be passed on to consumers. If the company you are with increases their price you can always move to another company. I haven't heard of any .ie prices ever increasing, unless of course you get a special introductory offer.

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    .ie prices will most likely keep going down as they get more popular and competitive and the savings should be passed on to consumers.

The reality is that only one or two companies actually do reduce pricing to the general public

• Advertisement

I'd disagree with "one or two". No company has held prices too high as they would lose business, but .ie is certainly one of the less competitive ccTLDs.

Michele - you blogged about eircom dropping their prices..(they still make a lot of profit but they reduced their price for a reason).

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    I'd disagree with "one or two". No company has held prices too high as they would lose business, but .ie is certainly one of the less competitive ccTLDs.

Of the top 10 Irish hosting companies only 2 or 3 have made any significant changes to their pricing in the last 12 months.

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    Michele - you blogged about eircom dropping their prices..(they still make a lot of profit but they reduced their price for a reason).

They reduced their prices - yes. Their prices were way too high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

blacknight wrote:
    Of the top 10 Irish hosting companies only 2 or 3 have made any significant changes to their pricing in the last 12 months

So far this year...... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Delaney

blacknight wrote:
    I'm not sure I follow you.

If you can give me an example it might be a lot clearer

The web designer / developer cannot register the domain to themselves. The domain has to be registered to you.

The IEDR policy on domain trades isn't terribly clear at present.
    However if you want to cede a domain to a 3rd party you may do so at any stage

Well YOUR domain hasn't an individual name although corporate entity. Typical I cant find one specifically when I go looking for one but taking this crowd at random, why are there 3 contact names and what is the difference especially as he is a sole trader ?

domain: landscape.ie
    descr: Paul Kavanagh
    descr: Sole Trader
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: ABE890-IEDR
    tech-c: WIL6-IEDR
    renewal: 25-February-2008
    nserver: NS1.SECURE-SSL-SERVER.NET
    nserver: NS2.SECURE-SSL-SERVER.NET
    source: IEDR

person: Grace Garde
    nic-hdl: ABE890-IEDR

person: David Farrelly
    nic-hdl: WIL6-IEDR

Sorry for the paranoia but the business setup will take a wee while and I dont want employers to find out before Im ready to jump ship or they will boot me out by looking at the owner of a domain name as it is the same type of business. May have to get a friend or relation to register everything.

Every domain has different contacts listed on the whois.

The registration contact - in this case the sole trader themselves.

The adminstative contact - person in charge who the IEDR take instructions from. There may be 2 admin contacts.

The technical contact - possibly a webmaster or equivalent in the company who can change the domains contacts and nameservers etc.

Also there is a billing contact not shown on the whois - with .ie domains this is the .ie reseller responsible for the domain.

You may want to ask the IEDR what to do in your situation.

• Advertisement

Delaney wrote:
    Well YOUR domain hasn't an individual name although corporate entity.

That's because our handle is used for ALL IE domains registered with us and I was getting a bit tired of people contacting me directly

Delaney wrote:
    domain: landscape.ie
    descr: Paul Kavanagh
    descr: Sole Trader
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: ABE890-IEDR
    tech-c: WIL6-IEDR
    renewal: 25-February-2008
    nserver: NS1.SECURE-SSL-SERVER.NET
    nserver: NS2.SECURE-SSL-SERVER.NET
    Delaney wrote:
    person: Grace Garde
    nic-hdl: ABE890-IEDR
    Admin contact for the domain. In most cases if the domain is registered to a sole trader it will be the same person as the domain holder. It's not in this case
    Delaney wrote:
    person: David Farrelly
    nic-hdl: WIL6-IEDR

David is the technical contact - that's usually the company you registered the domain through

Advertisement