Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dads Volvo died RIP

Options
  • 04-07-2007 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Guys my fathers volvo s80 has just died.It was a 2000 s80 twin turbo T6.I was talking to a head mechanic from a large garage in dublin with over 20 years experience and he said the engine needs replacing.

I have 2 options

1- get a new engine :eek:

2- Sell in to scrap yard or trader who would fix it and sell it on

Hope someone can help me as my father wants to get rid of it or get it fixed soon.If someone can help me in any way like getting a new second hand or new engine or if somone knows someone who is interested in the car then let me know

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rebuild the engine? What exactly is wrong with it?

Volvo will sell you a new engine but it'll be very expensive. Otherwise ring the scrapyards. T6 was a very low volume model so up North or the UK are your best options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I got this off [url]www.partsgateway.co.uk:[/url]

Part:engine Price:528.75 Guarantee: 90 Days Delivery:£141.00 Total price: £669.75

Supplier Background
    Volvolks provides Volvo & Volkswagen parts, service & car sales covering all of the UK and Europe. We have a vast stock of new, used and reconditioned parts for all Volvos & VW's - and also offer a more...

We offer a part fitting service on many of the parts we supply, please ask.

WE ARE LOCAL TO YOU!
    Units 2-18, Terrace Street Industrial Estate, Ribbleton Lane, Preston PR1 5LE. Please call us on 01772 709221 if you would prefer to collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call it a 1050 euro to get the engine here then it has to be fitted and the ancillary parts swapped over. A long weekend for a DIY job with some help and ability. A indy garage would add about 500 to the bill I'd say.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thanks for the help.Sorry for the late reply.I was working late.
    I dont have that much knowlwdge about cars so i would find out about the engine and get someone to fit it.If its too much hassle then i would tell my dad to get rid of it.

The problem as far i was told is the cambelt (i think thats what it is called) has seized in the engine which wont make it move as its needs oil pressure to move but the mechanic said its too late and the damage is done so it needs a new engine.

Any other help as to who in ireland could fix it for me? Thanks guys

Any mechanic would put in the engine once you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Never nice to hear the sentence '' Needs a new engine ''!

Ah well hope dad is motoring again soon

-VB-

Does anyone know where i can get a 00 s80 T6(twin turbo) engine in ireland or uk.But it should come with all parts to get it fitted.Hope someone can help as mt father said he might give me the car and he will get a new one soon.So i just need to get it fixed so we can decide who wants it :)

If someone can help me in this matter please let me know on the thread or if someone works in volvo please send me a pm.thanks

Did you read my post above?

Did you read my post above?

I did but i think uk is too difficult and far to get an engine.I would prefer ireland as i dont have much time. I rang a company in glasnevin who refurbish engines so i will know on monday if they can repair it.
    Hope they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

drdre wrote:
    I was talking to a head mechanic from a large garage in dublin with over 20 years experience and he said the engine needs replacing.
    A Volvo garage? Get a second opinion from a genuine Volvo dealership before you proceed.

Also, cambelt failure does not automatically mean you need a replacement engine.

If you do need a complete engine, you do not need all the ancillary fittings (unless they have been compromised in the engine failure). Just used the parts from the car. Max damage in cambelt failure is usually valvetrain and pistons. Not sure about turbo scenario.

How is the spare licence coming along?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote:
    A Volvo garage? Get a second opinion from a genuine Volvo dealership before you proceed.

Also, cambelt failure does not automatically mean you need a replacement engine.

If you do need a complete engine, you do not need all the ancillary fittings (unless they have been compromised in the engine failure). Just used the parts from the car. Max damage in cambelt failure is usually valvetrain and pistons. Not sure about turbo scenario.

How is the spare licence coming along?

Dont have a spare licence.Everything went well for me.I am back on 6 points.

The Mechanic was a head ford mechanic with around 14 years. The car wont move so how will i contact volvo as they wont know until they see the car.I will try ring them on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    The car wont move so how will i contact volvo

You can tow it dear liza, dear liza.

maidhc wrote:
    You can tow it dear liza, dear liza.

The tow is hard as ive havnt done it before and its bloody heavy with a huge engine.I will get someone else out to have a look next week as i need to get it fixed soon.

Does anyone here work in volvo by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    The tow is hard as ive havnt done it before and its bloody heavy with a huge engine.

Pay someone with a truck dear liza, dear liza.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you think you're insurable on a T6 twin turbo?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stephen wrote:

With respect that's his own business.

Great rwd donuts with a T6 (traction control off btw) :D

Stephen wrote:
    Yes i am and actually i am insured on it. I have driven it alot.I dont think you are so you are just jealous.I can even get fully comp insurance on my name on the s80.

I just put 5 litres of oil today so will check if it starts in the morning as it didnt start straight after i put the oil in.I hope it works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Henry, You'd be doing well doing RWD donuts in an S80. They're all either front wheel drive (like mine) or 4x4. The T6 puts 272BHP through the front wheels. Are you sure you're not thinking of the old 700 or 900 series T5 models that were RWD?

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TychoCaine wrote:
    Henry, You'd be doing well doing RWD donuts in an S80. They're all either front wheel drive

There's a bit of history you might not be aware of. OP claims to have been arrested and given penalty points for dangerous driving, for doing donuts on a public road in his 1.4 petrol VW Golf

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    There's a bit of history you might not be aware of. OP claims to have been arrested and given penalty points for dangerous driving, for doing donuts on a public road in his 1.4 petrol VW Golf

Yep its history.It was early last year.Now im free and nothing happened to me so i can drive any power car :)
    Anyway back to the point and not off topic.Does anyone know where i can get a new engine or get this one re built.Hope someone can help
    thanks

TychoCaine wrote:
    Henry, You'd be doing well doing RWD donuts in an S80. They're all either front wheel drive (like mine) or 4x4. The T6 puts 272BHP through the front wheels. Are you sure you're not thinking of the old 700 or 900 series T5 models that were RWD?

Gary

Ooops! You are right. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Con Shiel

Hello there,i have just spotted your msge. Does your dad still have this volvo and if so has he decided what he is going to do with it?

I appreciate a reply in relation to same.

Con Shiel wrote: »
    Hello there,i have just spotted your msge. Does your dad still have this volvo and if so has he decided what he is going to do with it?

I appreciate a reply in relation to same.

Sorry for the late reply, He still has the car, its parked in a volvo garage at the moment.

Guys does anyone know where i could find a T6 engine or someone who can refurbish his old engine.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

drdre wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, He still has the car, its parked in a volvo garage at the moment.

Guys does anyone know where i could find a T6 engine or someone who can refurbish his old engine.
    Thanks in advance

You were given a load of very helpful and useful advice which you either ignored or dismissed because it would be too much bother (organising an engine from the uk or getting a tow for the car)
    The feeling I get from this thread is that you don't want the "hassel" of sorting it out your self and hope that some vovlo mechanic has an engine and will transplant it for you as a favour.
    Get off your arse, in the age of the internet it's not impossible to sort this out. You could probably make a few bob breaking it for parts, interior etc, but that would involve getting off your arse :D

skibum wrote: »
    You were given a load of very helpful and useful advice which you either ignored or dismissed because it would be too much bother (organising an engine from the uk or getting a tow for the car)
    The feeling I get from this thread is that you don't want the "hassel" of sorting it out your self and hope that some vovlo mechanic has an engine and will transplant it for you as a favour.
    Get off your arse, in the age of the internet it's not impossible to sort this out. You could probably make a few bob breaking it for parts, interior etc, but that would involve getting off your arse :D

Thanks for the comment, The only problem was i was working alot over the past few months and was away etc.Anyway i did try alot of scrap guys in the north through the autotrader and tried traynors to no luck.Im asking again on this thread as someone might be able to help and might know the right solution.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

skibum wrote: »

Skibum,
    You obviously haven't seen too many of dre's previous posts.
    He is a VERY busy person and hasn't time to research things himself when people on boards can get the info for him.

My personal favourite is this post on page 15 of the Importing from the UK sticky asking if someone could PM him all the info he needs to import a Mini Cooper S(even though most of it was answered on the first page of the sticky)!

Time is money as they say :p

Skibum,
    You obviously haven't seen too many of dre's previous posts.
    He is a VERY busy person and hasn't time to research things himself when people on boards can get the info for him.

My personal favourite is this post on page 15 of the Importing from the UK sticky asking if someone could PM him all the info he needs to import a Mini Cooper S(even though most of it was answered on the first page of the sticky)!

Time is money as they say :p

No actually Santa, I want want to make this thread into an argument.I actually wanted to find out if someone (as theres 1000's of people on boards) knew anywhere in ireland who would have an engine.As you might know a T6 engine for a S80 is very rare.
    As for the Mini i was looking at a Cooper s but i just bought a 07 gti as i thought it was a better buy and cheaper than a cooper s.
    Anyway if you are no help then dont bother posting.
    Finally Time is not money.What is boards for, Its for sharing knowledge and thats whats been done.

Thanks for the comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Have you asked over on www.volvoforums.org.uk ??
    Thousands of people may read boards but a quick google for "volvo owners club" and the FIRST results was this site. You'd have a lot better luck sourcing a rare volvo part on a volvo message board !

Have you bought the UK edition of Autotrader (midlands edition i think) in Easons ??
    It has a much bigger parts/salvage section than the irish editon and as one of the first posts said, it's much more likely you'll get an engine in the UK than in Ireland for a T6!

Have you left your details with Dermot in Traynors (and other salvage companies) so that they can ring you if they hear of/get a s80 t6 in ??

Have you looked into fitting another s80 engine apart from the t6 to your dads car ?
    OK it won't pack the same punch as the t6 but it's one way to get it going again !

• Advertisement

Have you asked over on www.volvoforums.org.uk ??
    Thousands of people may read boards but a quick google for "volvo owners club" and the FIRST results was this site. You'd have a lot better luck sourcing a rare volvo part on a volvo message board !

Have you bought the UK edition of Autotrader (midlands edition i think) in Easons ??
    It has a much bigger parts/salvage section than the irish editon and as one of the first posts said, it's much more likely you'll get an engine in the UK than in Ireland for a T6!

Have you left your details with Dermot in Traynors (and other salvage companies) so that they can ring you if they hear of/get a s80 t6 in ??

Have you looked into fitting another s80 engine apart from the t6 to your dads car ?
    OK it won't pack the same punch as the t6 but it's one way to get it going again !

I have contacted traynors to no luck, I have registered to the volvo forum afew days ago and just didnt get around to putting up a thread,Which i should do by tonight.I didnt know about the uk autotrader, I have contacted dealers on www.partsgateway.co.uk so should get a reply soon
    Actually if this works out it wont be my dads car it will be mine as he got another volvo off a dealership. :)

Advertisement