Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misfiring...?

• 04-07-2007 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My baby started misfiring (I think - I'm not exactly a mechanic :o) today. The symptoms are:

Strange popping sound from exhaust.
    Serious loss of power from low revs, suddenly surging to apparently normal power after a few seconds.
    Hollow, tinny sound from engine - reverts to normal sound simultaneously with power surge.

This all started happening almost immediately after I left it into a workshop to have brake pads changed, but I'm doing my best not to be suspicious. :cool:

So, any ideas what might be causing it? Too much liquid sunshine in the electrics?

Any help in sorting this out would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

Garibaldi wrote:
    Hi all,

My baby started misfiring (I think - I'm not exactly a mechanic :o) today.

Just to get the ball rolling on trouble shooting your problem. I would first check that Spark plugs are OK. And also that plug leads are connecting properly with plugs. If that does nothing, have an overall look around to see that nothing is disconnected since being in the shop. I also aint a mechanic, so just tryin to get you to check the simple things first. Good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Thanks for that dhev. Didn't get the chance to check it yesterday, and I took the brave step of using public transport today, so I'll check everything, to the best of my ability, this evening.

Feel free to keep any thoughts, on what might be wrong, coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

check your
    sparkplugs & leads see if they are clean/carboney/oily
    airfilter might be blocked/dirty
    carbs, slide might be stuck (happened to me last week), pilot jet might be blocked
    air fuel screw might have opened slightly (checking the sparkplugs should tell the state of the comubstion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sounds like the pilot to me.
    what bike?
    could have water in the float bowl after the weather we are having also. Just fixed a friends bike with the same symtoms.
    2 mins drained the bowls on her with a small screw driver. also cheak the clip on your boots from your carbs to your airfilter. could have a vacuum leak.

I would think if it just happened your air filter would not be blocked. But who knows. worth checking in there anyways as ya have the tools out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

With my limited knowledge, I couldn't find the problem, so it's now in the hands of Aprilia.

No doubt, I'll be crying into the tattered remains of my wallet by this evening. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Garibaldi wrote:
    With my limited knowledge, I couldn't find the problem, so it's now in the hands of Aprilia.

No doubt, I'll be crying into the tattered remains of my wallet by this evening. :'(
    That's if they can find the problem that fast/at all. Sometimes mechanics are stumped too!

Advertisement