Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 04-07-2007 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a car, but have not sold my old one yet, and I need to transfer my insurance so I can drive the new car.

But I also need to be able to drive the old car, (have to get it NCT'd also).

So do I get a new policy for the new car? Or do I get insurance on the 2 cars on the 1 policy?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Had the same problem myself.... as it happened there was only a few weeks left on the old policy , so I ended up with two polices for a while...

don't really see any other way around it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You can have both on the one policy. You do what is called a "Temporary Additional Vehicle" on your policy. You will be charged a fee but at least you'll be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

With Quinn Direct they will not let you have a second car and if you need to be insured on two cars with them you have to have two policys and can only use your no claims bonus on one. Seems a total rip off to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Most insurance policies allow you to transfer the policy onto a temporary car for a day or two at a time (like when you borrow a car from a garage when your one is being serviced). I've never been charged for this and have done it a few times (twice even when I rented moving vans and transferred my car policy to them)

Assuming you don't need to drive the old car too often (or at short notice), just insure the new one and transfer the policy onto the old one when you need to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Thanks for the replies, temporary additional vehicle was allowed for a month (until I get it sold!).

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement