Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-COM reborn ?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/

anyone played the full version of this ? I played the demo and the graphics are nice, the AI is dire - but htey do say that up front for the demo , and the gameply is pretty nice. Just wondering if the full game is much of an improvement ?

I heard rumours of a remake of X-com: UFO in the pipes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The cut-scenes are a bit dire aswell. At least the trailer I seen awhile ago was, dodgy voice acting mostly. I couldn't stand the game play, clunky and fiddley. A good attempt though, if they had tried to be a bit different instead of exactly like X-COM I might like it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd be interested as long as it's not as impossibly difficult as Terror from the deep.
    I loved that game but hated sucking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a game called UFO Alien Invasion that some guys decided to make. It's a remake of the X-Com games, but it's free. The only thing is, it's a work in progress, but so far it's a lot of fun :D I think http://ufoai.ninex.info/ is the website for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Theres another one out also: UFO: Afterlight

But nothing beats the original in my books, I still come back and play through it again sometimes. Although now I know how to edit the hex files to give me billions.

I've got both these new games at home, but I don't want to play through them for fear of ruining my memories of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's actually not too bad. It's faithfull enough to the original but it's missing something ..can't put my finger on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Im a big X-com fan and currently still playing them as they are brilliant pieces of game design. I bought and tried the 'newer' x-com alike games like UFO: Aftermath and Aftershock(didn't bother with afterlight) and although it seemed they tried to what x-com was like.... they were quite disapointing. The fact that they were lacking in depth, although RPG character development was ok, other areas such as base management,diplomacy and tactical combat were really poor. After looking at this UFO: Extraterrestrials it does seem alot more familiar to the x-com games, especially Apocalypse. But as muppetkiller said it seems to be lacking somthing but i don't know what. Ill be intrested to give this a go anyway :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think PC Gamer gave this 51% or so. Said you'd be better off getting one of the originals - they are available on Steam apparently.

Advertisement