Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting child seats

Options
  • 04-07-2007 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi people,

I'll be going to Galway this summer with the whole posse (one kid aged 3 and a baby aged 6 months). I'd like to know if any of you had a clue where i could rent child seats for the car.
    I know i could get them if i rented a car but that would just ruin the family's budget.

Thanks,

Babs (France).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i've never heard of anyone renting child seats unless they're also renting a car.

If you own a car, and have kids, how come you don't have seats already?

oops - sorry, didn't see you were in France. So, you're flying to galway and borrowing a car maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 babichou

loyatemu wrote:
    i've never heard of anyone renting child seats unless they're also renting a car.

If you own a car, and have kids, how come you don't have seats already?

oops - sorry, didn't see you were in France. So, you're flying to galway and borrowing a car maybe?

Yes we're coming over with as less stuff as we possibly can. Our friend in Galway might collect us at the airport but then again without the seats her coming is useless.
    I know my question is a bit tricky. I thought maybe there was a children shop in Galway that might rent seats.

And yes we were planning to use her car to have a short trip around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I haven't heard of anyone renting car seats. Maybe you could ask the car rental people if they could oblige? They might say no but you've nothing to lose by asking.

http://www.budget.ie/galwayairport.htm

Aren't you supposed to have a seat on the plane for the baby anyway? Maybe your friend could ask around and find someone who isn't using theirs anymore that you could borrow for the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Due to insurance factors they won't rent child seats.

Merci beaucoup everyone for your help. I knew there were 99 chances out of 100 that it just wouldn't work. It's a matter of either bringing our own seats (with the risk of them being crushed in the plane) or renting a car and getting the gear ready to use (or finding someone in my friend's family who's got spare child seats...).

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

babichou wrote:
    It's a matter of either bringing our own seats (with the risk of them being crushed in the plane)

Why not bring the seats onto the plane? Thats what I did when our daughter was 15 months old. I'd imagine it would be a lot more comfortable for the 6 month old in his/her own seat. It was hassle having to carry the damn thing so I can see why you want to avoid bringing 2 of them with you.

Her seat is part of her pram so that's one seat less to ask for on the spot.
    Just realized that :rolleyes:
    So that's only one to bring ! We cannot bring that in the plane, it is fragile and can easily be smashed into pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Sorry, really dont mean to sound rude, but a car seat so fragile that it can't be brought on board a plane for fear of it smashing into pieces doesn't sound too safe??

Shelli wrote:
    Sorry, really dont mean to sound rude, but a car seat so fragile that it can't be brought on board a plane for fear of it smashing into pieces doesn't sound too safe??

I didn't mean on board:)
    It is huge and surely won't fit into the lockers.
    We're just trying to keep the luggage as small as possible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Most airlines will allow for the baby seats to be brought on board and the chidl to seat in it on the flgith on the hair beside the parent.

Child seats are menat to break apart that is what they do, they aborb the impact.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Most airlines will allow for the baby seats to be brought on board and the chidl to seat in it

That sounds good. T'is my first time abroad with the kids.
    I've got to learn ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring the airline just to confirm that you can bring the child seats on board.

Ring the airline just to confirm that you can bring the child seats on board.

I just dropped them an e-mail, I'll see what they tell me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

babichou wrote:
    I didn't mean on board:)
    It is huge and surely won't fit into the lockers.
    We're just trying to keep the luggage as small as possible :D

Sorry, took you up wrong. Good luck, will be interested to see what the airline says, hoping to do some traveling with my little guy when he arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We bought a cheap-ish car seat €60 approx and brought it to the US last year to avoid the exorbitant rental fees from the car rental companies. There was no problem in checking it into the hold (wrapped in a plastic bag to protect it from the elements) and collecting it at the other end. We've left it in her Nana's car now for occasional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Coming from the states I have done both, rented a car seat in Ireland and brought one with me. The one time we rented a car seat we were given a broken car seat by the car rental company in Shannon. It took me a while to figure out it was broken as I struggled to understand how to fit it. It was also generally shabby and dirty. I have rented car seats in the states before and they always came with shrink wrapping, a manual and sparkling clean. I expected the same in Ireland but was disappointed, why I expected the same I don't know.

Otherwise I have taken the car seat. I had used my son's car seat twice on Aer Lingus but third time unlucky. As I was checking my luggage an Aer Lingus old biddy wanted to see my car seat to make sure we could take it on board. She poked around at it and said we could not take it on board and it would have to be checked. I asked why. She said it was missing a sticker. I said we have used it on previous Aer Lingus flights and no one pointed this out. She didn't respond. I asked what sticker is it missing. She said she couldn't tell me, except that it was missing it. I asked her to go and find documentation of the sticker that was missing. She went off, came back, no documentation but I still couldn't bring it on board. I eventually caved in after making a big scene in front of the checkin counter to my wife's embarrassment.

So the moral of my tale is, be careful about renting and if you intend to bring it on board and not check it make sure you know exactly what rules and regulations it needs to meet before hand.

We are flying out of Boston next week with two kids, 4 and 15 months for a 3 week stay, lots of luggage, car seats and a very large and busy airport, I must be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

the way I see it is...you will have the seat for the younger child with you - and if you can have the use of a car from a friend then chances are that your friend will know someone who has a car seat that their children have outgrown which is probably stored in their attic - worth asking about - people like to help out!:)

Advertisement