Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting DVD's for the Web

Options
  • 04-07-2007 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to get my DVD into a Flash Video file.
    In the past i have used Easy DVD Rip to convert it to MPEG then import into Flash which changes it to a FLV file and from there i play them in a flash player i made.
    I've downloaded VLC and that seems to work... i think (it's still converting), but the files size is huge! There isn't any compression options... at the moment it's at 15GB! :confused:
    So my question is, has anyone got any suggestions as to how i would get 25 mins of DVD into FLV format for free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

* cue tumble weed *

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Google is your friend

Google is your friend
    eh, no it's not...
    Did you read my post?
    I know what FLV is, i know how to use it. The problem is that i have a DVD... and i need to get it into FLV without spending huge money.
    Thanks anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

DVDFab and other software like that will easily decode your DVD and save the file as an AVI.
    Then I remember to use some free tools I found on the web to convert any video format to anything else, such as AVI to SWF whatever.
    Don't remember the name tough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

nikimere wrote:
    eh, no it's not...
    Did you read my post?
    I know what FLV is, i know how to use it. The problem is that i have a DVD... and i need to get it into FLV without spending huge money.
    Thanks anyway :rolleyes:
    3rd or fourth link down is a free utiliry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I would use DVD Shrink (free). This will allow to reduce the size of the video considerably.

Then, you can use Dr DivX to compress the file into an avi.

Flash should be able to import it.

nb: I don't use flash to play DVDs on the web. I use a DivX plug in instead. The quality is really good.

@ mick.fr & Jeff Bond: Thanks i'll check both of those out.

@ matt-dublin: Yes it is a free utility, but it doesn't do what i want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I've found autoGK to be the best free software for getting DVD video down to a manageable size - you can choose exactly how big you want the finished avi (divx) file to be. It doesn't convert direct to FLV, but I'm sure you can manage that once you have a reasonable filesize.

Advertisement