Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildare Town

• 04-07-2007 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is moving to Kildare Town so i am doing a bit of research for her.

1) other than Daft.ie are there any local ways of finding accomodation?

2) is everything walkable? how far is the train station from the main town center for example?

3) is there generally an abdundance of accomodation or is it hard to come by? i got the impression from daft there wasnt a lot going.

4) how difficult is it to get to newbridge in the mornings and back in the evening?

any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eburns

Kildare is a small enough town. The Train station is under 5 minutes walk from the centre of the town.
    Daft is probably the best for accomdation. You not having much look for places there? Plenty of new estates springing up around the place.
    There are buses every half an hour from Kildare - Newbridge
    Is there a reason your friend wants to live in Kildare if they're workin in Newbridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

eburns wrote:
    Kildare is a small enough town. The Train station is under 5 minutes walk from the centre of the town.
    Daft is probably the best for accomdation. You not having much look for places there? Plenty of new estates springing up around the place.
    There are buses every half an hour from Kildare - Newbridge
    Is there a reason your friend wants to live in Kildare if they're workin in Newbridge?

ideally she wants to live in newbridge for for work reasons she has to live in kildare(even thou work is based in newbridge) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eburns

Sorry, from what you were saying, I thought she wants to live in Kildare, but is working in Newbridge.

The Kildare-Dublin bus stops in Newbridge and as I said, that goes every half an hour.

Where's she working in Kildare (if she is working in Kildare)? I'll give you as much info as I can, if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

for accomadation the local weekly papers like the leinster leader would be a good bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Yeah the Leinster Leader on a Wednesday would be the place to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi SmackBunnyBaby (Jeez, I won't ask how you came up with that name :D )

Another very important thing for your friend to know is that there are about 15 pubs, a night club, 2 chippers and an Abrakebabra all on the same 1 mile strach of road.

Cunninghams is a good spot for a few jars.

2 Night Clubs actually. Well if you count that Loki place that used to be Snaffles. If that place is still open?

A mile?! Jaysus it's about 1/2 mile that all that hive of activity takes place :D

It's a mile if you walk down one side of the street then back on the other :D ...............seems much further if you're pissed. Almost forgot to mention the wonderful array of bookies along The Kildare Strip (who needs Vegas???)

If you're friend is a recovering Alcoholic or a member of Gambelers Anon. Kildare might not be the best place to live :(

Pubs & Bookies, that's about it. Macari's chippers is more than decent though :)

cheers for the tips all.
    15 pubs?
    thats about 2 a night for the week. :D

• Advertisement

another quick question as well!
    is there a gym in kildare town, or if not newbridge?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi, do't know about gyms in Kildare town but there are a few in Newbridge. There's a one in the Keadeen hotel and one in the Standhouse hotel but you need to be a member to use them. Both have full facilities with pool etc. There's a really old, not very nice one in the Gables guesthouse that you can use and pay as you go. There's a women's only Curves place in Curragh Grange and there's a big new Jackie Skelly place being built out past the train station. There's also a sports centre on Station Road which has a good gym upstairs and there are various classes run.

the walk from pub to pub should provide plenty of exercise. if you are wtching the waist.......erm.....just have a glass or a shot in each pub instead of a pint:D

I'm not really helping am I?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

There's Shapes fitness - similar to curves. New hotel being planned for motorway junction with spa & leisure - work meant to commence in Autumn.

Don't forget the outlets for shopping & starbucks (walking distance from town via pedestrian walkway opposite heffernans). Ralph lauren opening tomorrow.

Mizzoni's Pizza excellent whilst Collosseus Italian Restaurant is way overpriced for basic italian fare. And finally Irish National Stud for relaxation & walks - €20 annual membership for locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

dame wrote:
    There's a women's only Curves place in Curragh Grange and there's a big new Jackie Skelly place being built out past the train station.

Think the Jackie Skelly is going to be in Newbridge close to Whitewater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kelkel143

dame wrote: »
    Hi, do't know about gyms in Kildare town but there are a few in Newbridge. There's a one in the Keadeen hotel and one in the Standhouse hotel but you need to be a member to use them. Both have full facilities with pool etc. There's a really old, not very nice one in the Gables guesthouse that you can use and pay as you go. There's a women's only Curves place in Curragh Grange and there's a big new Jackie Skelly place being built out past the train station. There's also a sports centre on Station Road which has a good gym upstairs and there are various classes run.

dose any one know how much it is to use Gables gym:confused:
    or any good ones in kildare or newbridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

another quick question as well!
    is there a gym in kildare town, or if not newbridge?
    thanks

If your friend is interested in getting exercise, there are lots of sports clubs in the town too. I'm the chairman of Round Towers GFC, and we have a ladies team that are always interested in new members. The rugby club have a ladies team too, and I'm not sure about the soccer club. There are also a number of well-lit popular walking routes around the town.

She shouldn't have too much trouble getting accomodation. I'm guessing she might be a teacher from how you described her needing to live in a different town - that's pretty common and there are lots of teachers in the town in the same position. Perhaps she could check in with some of her new colleagues (teaching or otherwise).

Advertisement