Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating a flat(ish) solid base on grass.

Options
  • 04-07-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Hello, I need to create a relatively solid base, about 4ft * 10ft. The obvious solutions are either concrete or slabs, but really I don't wish to do either. It is not my perminent residence.

So, I am trying to come up with something that is pretty temporary. A friend is saying to just use a slab of pallet, treat it, and plank it down on the grass.

Seems a bit flimsy to me, but can't think of much else.

Oh, and by the way, the reason for this is to put a motorcycle on... weighs around 600lbs. It wont be in direct contact with the wood as a full all round cover will be on the wood, then zipped over the bike. I will have a steel plate for the rest peg of the bike.

Would this work? Any info, or any other ideas are appreciated.
    j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello jimbling.
    To save you having to reseed or returf a lawn area the size of a pallet once you remove the bike, I suggest...
    Two six inch blocks on their flat to support the front wheel, two six inch blocks on their flat to support the back wheel, and two six inch blocks on their flat to support the steel plate for the kick stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm guessing you use the bike often and this is not a long term storage solution you are looking for.

You could try a sheet of galvanized metal, maybe even get the stuff that has holes in it, better grip and also you will do less damage to the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

How about plain concrete Patio tiles ..... 50cm x 50cm (2ft x 2ft and 2" thk) cost around the 3 to 4 yo yo's each and 10 pcs would give you the required area .... :rolleyes:

You could put an eye bolt in each corner (and sides) for you bike cover to be attached .....

They will last forever .... and when you move, take them with you .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

thanks for all the advice.

GreeBo wrote:
    I'm guessing you use the bike often and this is not a long term storage solution you are looking for.

You could try a sheet of galvanized metal, maybe even get the stuff that has holes in it, better grip and also you will do less damage to the grass.

You might be on to something there.... A heavy grate like sheet of metal would probably do the trick.
    Where does one go to get something like that?... a sheet metal fabricator I guess.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jimbling wrote:
    You might be on to something there.... A heavy grate like sheet of metal would probably do the trick.
    Where does one go to get something like that?... a sheet metal fabricator I guess.....
    sorry jimbling, Im only an ideas man :)
    Though Im guessing you are on the right track with a metal fabricator. If you are in Dublin there is a big place in Ballymount that seem to do the right sort of stuff, you'll know you are there as they have two huge Knights outside made of the stuff you want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do you know any wielders? maybe someone could fabricate something for you out of aluminum tubling.

sspec.jpg

Advertisement