Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certifications - Which would be best

Options
  • 04-07-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Having worked on a helpdesk for a long time I am about to move to a new similar(ish) role with the Civil Service where I've been told once I've settled in I'll get packed off for training :) . Only ever got an ECDL :o but do have a lot of experience fixing the usual sort of problems that come through on a helpdesk. I am though very unsure as to what would be most useful to get from a certification viewpoint. I'll still be working in an IT capacity with the opportunity to move up the ranks, so I would like to hear from those who have Comptia and MCP/MCSE qualifications in particular as to how they have helped your careers.

Also is it REALLY worth paying for extra training myself out of my own pocket should something in particular interest me or is the self study route better

Sorry if I'm being too general but I want to hear all views :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Puzzler28 wrote:
    Having worked on a helpdesk for a long time I am about to move to a new similar(ish) role with the Civil Service where I've been told once I've settled in I'll get packed off for training :) . Only ever got an ECDL :o but do have a lot of experience fixing the usual sort of problems that come through on a helpdesk. I am though very unsure as to what would be most useful to get from a certification viewpoint. I'll still be working in an IT capacity with the opportunity to move up the ranks, so I would like to hear from those who have Comptia and MCP/MCSE qualifications in particular as to how they have helped your careers.

Also is it REALLY worth paying for extra training myself out of my own pocket should something in particular interest me or is the self study route better

Sorry if I'm being too general but I want to hear all views :D

If you're using Windows Server 2003 and XP then you probably can't go wrong with the MSCA or MCSE. This can be done through self-study but its a lot easier with a proper course (and if someone else is paying:) ).

How does one get into IT in the Civil Service? I've never seen any jobs advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Puzzler28

How does one get into IT in the Civil Service? I've never seen any jobs advertised.

AFAIK the positions are filled internally. A lot of folks move up, out or take career breaks so vacancies are there but there not advertised outside. Never seen them myself either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

IT in the Civil service is mostly done by contractors imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

donaghs wrote:

Adverts will typically only appear in the broadsheet recruitment sections (independent/times), very rarely will they appear on the usual jobsites.

While as Static says a lot is out-sourced these days to other companies, but a lot of larger Councils/Hospitals/State organisations still have on-site IT support/development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Jobs appears on the LA sites themselves and centrally on http://www.localgovernmentjobs.ie/

Since you are currently Civil Service you can get training apprved and paid for under your PMDS if you have put it through and your manager has approved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Puzzler28

Since you are currently Civil Service you can get training apprved and paid for under your PMDS if you have put it through and your manager has approved it.

Thats the plan anyway :D . Whatever will be relevant to the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ginger wrote:
    Jobs appears on the LA sites themselves and centrally on http://www.localgovernmentjobs.ie/

Only one IT job advertised. Graduate-level on temporary contract. Salary isn't bad for Laois though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I put up a couple that were going in here, G6s, DBAs and Engineering on the work forum

A lot of stuff is controlled in that it must be offered internally if its a new position or if its not it can be advertised externally. Restrictions restrictions...

Advertisement