Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Estate Agent - Is there anything that can be done?

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They discriminate against people who don't work. I rang politely today to enquire about an apartment advertised on Daft for rent, I was asked abruptly twice, do I work and what do I and my boyfriend do, I felt like my personal business was being invaded and like I was speed dating or something I only wanted to enquire about viewing the property!

Crappy and all as it is, I think this is par for the course these days. Most people I know who are renting through an agent have had to provide a reference from work, and most of them have also been asked for bank statements in some cases too. It's not as easy to rent somewhere as people make out.

I'd imagine it's because they want to be sure they're renting to someone who can actually afford to pay the rent, particularly considering the current climate. Doesn't excuse them being rude to potential clients tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kim56 wrote: »
    They discriminate against people who don't work.
    How would you pay for the apartment if you didn't work? The EA was covering their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Anyone who does not take everything an estate agents says with a grain of salt is sadly being very naive. Estate agents are completely unregulated, and I mean completely. I have had a number of experiences, probably the best one was I was bidding on a house back in 2002 and every bid was met by another bid by some other bidder. The estate agent was even telling me that the other bidder was a mother trying to buy for her daughter and she was "crying on the phone" with each of my counter offerrs. I bought the house in the end because it was a nice house but the estate agent effectively determined the price - the market did not. A few houses later and the experience is the same.

Estate agents are the most dishonest, slimey and sleazy cohort that I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. I have met one honest estate agent who was open and honest about the process : "No we dont have any offers, look I am going to be straight with you - we want xxx,xxx for the house. If you are able to go there its yours". Only one, every other slimey, sleazy estate agent always seems to have an offer. How do I know its true? You dont, you have to accept their word for it.

They are a completely unregulated bunch of sheisters of the worst order, you need to seriously be very very careful with these people because they will do everything in their power to put their hands in your pocket and rob you blind - trust me from someone who knows what I am talking about.

What is needed in this country is a government body that handles ALL offers. The estate agents job then is simply to match buyers with sellers and they still get their commission. Any and all offers must be registered online with this new body against the address. If I, as a potential buyer (or seller), wish to see if there are any offers on a house, I simply go to the website and put in the address and click search and there are the (anonymous) *official* offers for the property. This will completely cut out these estate agents out for nothing more than to steal your money.

The corrupt estate agents should be jailed if found to behave in this manner, by my reckoning this would immediately remove 70% of them.

Buyer beware was invented for these people.

Next time your local friendly agent tells you there is an offer on a house - ask him to verify and see what reaction you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

In fairness an agent acts for the seller and not the buyer and its the seller who pays his commission. His job is to get the best price for the seller and thats whose agent he is and who he acts for.Thats how he earns a living. Higher price -higher commission earnings.

As long as he doesn't factually misrepresent the property it should be ok.

If you were selling you would expect the agent to get the best price so should not complain if you get the same treatment.

I am not an estate agent but caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is a long established principal in property transactions. So you do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

CDfm wrote: »
    In fairness an agent acts for the seller and not the buyer and its the seller who pays his commission. His job is to get the best price for the seller and thats whose agent he is and who he acts for.Thats how he earns a living. Higher price -higher commission earnings.

As long as he doesn't factually misrepresent the property it should be ok.

If you were selling you would expect the agent to get the best price so should not complain if you get the same treatment.

I am not an estate agent but caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is a long established principal in property transactions. So you do your research.

Nobody is saying otherwise, however if agents make up phantom offers, which they absolutely do, then they should be put away because this is as good as stealing in my opinion.

There is no "in fairness". Of course they should represent the seller to the best of their ability i.e. present the property well, advise the seller how they can best maximise the selling price of their property, advertise it appropriately etc.. all those things are what the agent is getting paid for.

It is the illegal and slimey stuff estate agents get up to that anyone who has ever dealt with them knows all too much about.

I re-iterate my opinion: anyone agent engaged in this stuff (which is quite a lot of them) should be jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Oryx wrote: »
    You could try contacting Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Institute (IAVI) or the Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers (IPAV), but they strike me as having no real power, and a vested interest in the industry.

The IAVI and IPAV can only have any power over their own members. The problem is that an auctioneer does not have to join one of these professional bodies. The IAVI have a complaints procedure what can be used against members. Is your agent a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

golden wrote: »
    Zombie Thread started 2007!!

Ha! Just read this.

Should really pay more attention.

*sleep*

Advertisement