Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phones for Elderly

Options
  • 04-07-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    I'm looking for a really basic phone for an elderly person. I've come across a phone that's for sale in the UK called a silverphone but Im having no luck getting one over here. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I know Voda used to sell one for that purpose. Think it was called Simply or something. Might be worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

amby666 wrote:
    I know Voda used to sell one for that purpose. Think it was called Simply or something. Might be worth a call.
    i was just on the voda site looking for that phone, but it seems voda don't have it on the site or any sagem phone for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I am searching for the very same thing for my Gran who's going into an old folks home. I found two of interest:

P23 Desktop Mobile Phone - http://www.burnsidetelecom.com/site.php/00209.html

Emporia Life & Doro Handleplus (very similar) - http://mobil.mkf.se/ArticlePages/200706/13/20070613234159_MOB185/20070613234159_MOB185.dbp.asp

Sold here: http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=59&sc=195&id=3232&it=1&l=2&d=0

Haven't checked to see if its cheaper anywhere else.

There was a rotary style phone that could except a SIM, but I think it may have been more of a gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

The Vodafone Simply (made by sagem) was anything but... Nokia 3510 was much easier and more suited for older folks.. see if you can find a 3510 knocking around in peoples drawers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Doolie

Thanks to everyone for the replys. I ordered one of the Seven button phones that Butts posted in his reply, from ebay. It's going to work out at about 90Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pamhughes

Hi
    Can you let me know how you got on with this phone and how does it work here in Ireland?
    Pam

Doolie wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the replys. I ordered one of the Seven button phones that Butts posted in his reply, from ebay. It's going to work out at about 90Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the 6310i would be the best phone for elderly people.very easy to use and great battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Doolie

I got this phone in the post last Thursday. It really is the business. It accepts any sim so had no problems setting it up. The only thing is because it has only numbers 1 to 5 you can not get credit from a shop and key in the code. But this is not a problem as I just put credit onto it, on internet for her.
    Great little phone though and would be suitable for kids too as they could only ring the five numbers stored in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tprc

I personally still sell and service nokia 3310 3510i and 6310i to the more mature adult becauce there simple and easy to use..Voda o2 and the rest only want to sell new phones, more commission i suppose....Andy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Any phone with large buttons can do the job, if commonly used numbers are programmed into speed dials and voice activated dialling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

"any phone with large buttons will do the job"

I completely disagree with that.

we have given my 77 y.o mil different phones and she cant used them because.
    1. she hasn't the strength in her hands thats needed to push some of the buttons on the regular mobile phones.
    2. her sight isnt great at 77 so she would need bigger buttons than was on the regular phones we gave her to try out.
    3.she gets confused with having to go into menu, then look for contacts and then finding the number she needs etc
    even putting the numbers on speeddial doesnt word because she cant always press the buttons

its easy to used these phones when you have been used to the technology.
    shes never used a mobile phone until now and finds them very hard to use.

Doolie and pamhughes, i've been looking at the doro site and they look like they have some good phones that might suit.
    they even have a phone with a panic alarm on it :-)
    definitly interested in this one as mil lives alone
    i've e.mailed them to find out if they have something that might suit mils needs.

fingers crossed.
    cause last time i went out i found her on the floor she was there from around 4am until i went out that morning at 9am.
    in her own words "its horrible being old"

SG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

even putting the numbers on speeddial doesnt word because she cant always press the buttons

Fair enough, but many large button phones can still do the job, not all have very stiff buttons. Voice activated speed dial can help here, although you may still need to press one button.

But for emergencies rather than calls, a simple button on a pendant or similar might be best, in addition to a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

amby666 wrote: »

NO NO NO!!! Vodafone Simply is both discontinued and crap.

Worst Phones EVAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

This phone is for the aged , but I don't know waht it is like :

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/old-faithful-senior-citizen-cell-phone/

Advertisement