Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune by Frank Herbert

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

The sci-fi channel mini-series was a huge improvement in terms of plot. It followed the book much more closely. Some liberties were taken, but it is to be expected in any adaptation. Unfortunately it falls down where the movie succeeded. The costumes were dire, the sets were cheap looking and the CG was laughable. Some awful acting in there aswell. Overall I preferred the mini-series, but If we could get a feature length movie series in the vein of Lord of the rings, it could be worthwhile.
    I think I (barely) preferred the movie, but they were both dire.

I don't think it could work in a feature length movie series. The demands placed on the LOTR by that genre were enough to render it mediocre, the everyday man's version of a fantasy epic. Dune is so idiosyncratic that it could only be carried off in a medium that is extremely sensitive to the particulars of the material.

I would say that the closest you could come to that kind of medium would be an animated series, which takes itself completely seriously, like Oshii's Ghost in the Shell, with high production values, and an auteur production team.

Cinemtographically, it would have to draw something from David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia, and from Stanley Kubrick for the vividness of place and philosophy, but would also have to be as acutely able for the minutiae of conversation as Ghost in the Shell.

It's nigh impossible, but to make it into a motion picture again- that would be impossible. It'd be awful.

Advertisement