Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dreambox & ss2 hooked up to dual lnb

• 04-07-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I have my dreambox setup for the last year on a motorised system - and working 100%. Just reinstalled my ss2 - for use on my pc upstairs. I am using it with altdvb ver. 2.2.0 build 3912. It has a seperate feed running to it from the lnb - which has two outputs. The system is left on Astra2 99% of the time so I am just interested in receiving these channels on the ss2 - so no motor control conflicts as diseqc not setup with skystar.

Now to my query. I have carried out a scan and can get all the spanish channels no problem. However, theres no dutch/french/premiere packages. How can this be?
    I have tried nudging the motor a little further east/west but this makes no difference.

<EDIT> Just realised i'm not running two cables from the lnb! One cable feeding into a switch which would explain that I can only get the channels from the package that the dreambox is tuned into downstairs. One thing I cant understand though is that now that i've powered down the dreambox, shouldnt i be able to receive all channels on the ss2 now? It wont scan a thing now??</EDIT>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The switch must be blocking power from the SS2. What model of switch are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Zaphod wrote:
    The switch must be blocking power from the SS2. What model of switch are you using?
    Sorry, meant to say 4 way diseqc splitter similar to that one as opposed to a proper switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Couple of issues. Firstly, it's a diseqc switch and not a splitter - each of the ports are meant to be fully isolated from each other. The fact that you can receive some channels on the SS2 while the dreambox is on seems to indicate that it's not a very good quality switch and some of the signal from the first port is bleeding across to the second.

Secondly, a diseqc switch is not designed to switch between 2 receivers on 1 LNBF. It's meant to switch between 2 LNBFs and 1 receiver. That's not to say it won't work - it depends on whether the switch can 'hear' a diseqc command only from the port designated 'receiver' or also from the two 'lnbf 1' and 'lnbf 2' ports.

BTW potentially the switch will get confused by the differing diseqc signals and in the worst case you risk damaging the SS2 and dreambox.

What port numbers are the dreambox and SS2 attached? And what diseqc port commands are the dreambox and SS2 set to?

A priority switch or an active splitter would be a much better and safer solution than above.
    http://www.globalcom.co.uk/prod_blank.php?ProductsID=47
    http://www.globalcom.co.uk/prod_blank.php?ProductsID=54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Cheers Zaphod. Was curious as to what was going on with it. Will just run a length of ct100 from the second output on the lnb direct to the skystar.

Advertisement