Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone goes to T-Mobile in Europe

• 04-07-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

From Macrumors.com:
    The Washington Post translates a Rheinische Post article which reveals that the iPhone will be sold through T-Mobile in Germany and launch on November 1st, 2007.

The cost of the phone for the German market is said to be 450 euros (US $612). There has been no confirmation of rumors the European version of the iPhone may incorporate 3G technology.

Apple launched the iPhone in the U.S. last week and had planned a European launch in Q4 2007 and Asia in 2008.

What does this mean for the Irish consumers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

there is a stickie for iphone related posts.

it will be on vodafone too. apparently there have been three agreements with deutsche telecom, vodafone and some french crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

i hope to god if it is vodafone, it wont be branded with all the networks firmware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It looks like it is going to be split between numerous networks in europe, vodafone for the U.K and us, T-Mobile for Germany, and some other french network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

not vodafone please. they put there logo on everything. :mad:

wasim21k wrote:
    not vodafone please. they put there logo on everything. :mad:

Apple is not going to let their piece of engineering beauty be ruined by anyone putting anything near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

exactly lol, as if apple would allow anyone to rebrand their stuff roflmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

leaked image....
    doesn't look good lads.

vodiphonevx7.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-04

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

quintron wrote:
    leaked image....
    doesn't look good lads.

vodiphonevx7.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-04

thats some poor assed photoshopping!

ya don't say... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

It's funny though. It's also what Vodafone would love to do. Also, it should have that inane slogan 'Make the most of now' as it's background. I'm not entirely gone on the iPhone. The touch-screen is cool I'll admit but many other phones can play Apple's .aac format and have better cameras and net access. I suppose, having an iPod I don't really need it. Though, a phone that you can sync with a MacBook without having to use bluetooth, that's nice. (My SE K800i software isn't Mac compatible. Blasted Swedes/Japs.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It looks like it is going to be split between numerous networks in europe, vodafone for the U.K and us, T-Mobile for Germany, and some other french network
    Vodafone got it in the UK and Ireland you're saying?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/29/3g-iphone-for-uk-customers/
    NewsWireless.net (via Gadgettastic) is reporting that Apple has partnered with Vodafone, T-Mobile of Germany and Carphone Warehouse and is expected to announce the UK iPhone on Monday.

The most unusual part of the rumor is the expectation that the European iPhone will take advantage of Vodafone's 3G data networks.
    Vodafone is currently in an ideal position to take on the iPhone, because its 3G network is hugely under-utilised. Pricing on mobile data is normally prohibitive, but Vodafone has recently revised its 3G data charges down, following "rip-off" complaints from users.

Steve Jobs was recently quoted explaining that the reason that the US iPhone didn't take advantage of 3G networks was due to size and battery considerations.

The European version of the iPhone is not expected until towards the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm sure steve didn't want to embarass AT&T:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Solair wrote:
    I'm sure steve didn't want to embarass AT&T:D
    Nothing like that, the US is miles behind Ireland, indeed all of Europe when it comes to mobile phone technology.

UMTS, the standard we use for 3G, cant be used in the US, there is not enough space, probably because too much is allocated for government and miitary use ¬_¬
    UMTS itself also uses Wideband-CDMA, instead of the narrowband version used by carriers Sprint and Verizon. Each channel uses almost the same space as a TV station, 5MHz, this causes further problems for US networks wanting to use UMTS where spectrum space is already tight enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I do wonder if Apple's policy of doing a deal with a single network (e.g. AT&T in the US, T-Mobile in Germany, Vodafone possibly in Ireland) is permissable under EU competition law. I think any operators that lose out (e.g. O2) have grounds for an appeal in Europe.

Apple's policy of handset lock-in is at odds with the traditional European norm of interoperability and non-exclusive handsets. I can't see Apple's policy doing anything to increase competition between mobile operators here.

Anyone agree with me here?

Dont all networks have certain phones that are only available on there networks? Its just that they are easily unlocked compared to the iPhone. No???

Thats desperate news..if ever there was a company scratching their arse on the Irish market, its o2. Not in touch afaic.
    Anyway, hopefully this will give them the kick in the backside needed to compete in the mobile market. It better be proper unbridled 3G services with unlimited data plan for a VERY competitive price on o2's part, not that "barely edge" styled imode pseudo shtuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If it's only 2.5G, it won't sell well in Europe. It will fail. They will need to bring out a 3G version ASAP if they want to succeed over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hhhhmmm so far i only can find pda, xda in O2 shops vodafone do some other fancy looking phone but i would say O2 is better option as vodafone is expensive as well.

,8,1 wrote:
    I do wonder if Apple's policy of doing a deal with a single network (e.g. AT&T in the US, T-Mobile in Germany, Vodafone possibly in Ireland) is permissable under EU competition law. I think any operators that lose out (e.g. O2) have grounds for an appeal in Europe.

Apple's policy of handset lock-in is at odds with the traditional European norm of interoperability and non-exclusive handsets. I can't see Apple's policy doing anything to increase competition between mobile operators here.

Anyone agree with me here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement