Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest data package for combined voice, web & pop3?

• 04-07-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

What's the cheapest data package for someone who wants voice, web & pop3? I've read a bunch of threads on mobile broadband packages and I'm more confused now than I started. Can any of the multi-gig broadband packages be added to a voice SIM and allow non http/non proxy traffic?

I rang O2 earlier and their new package is a stand alone SIM. Currently I'm shelling out obscene amounts on a per Mb basis to download mails.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

At the moment the leader is three Billpay with unlimited BB add-on. However there is no guarantee the sim will work on a non-three phone if you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you are using it mainly for email, have you considered a Blackberry device? O2 do them and you pay a fixed fee of €20 a month, no matter how much emailing you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

I have the blackberry as well ;) It frustrates me that with the new generation of phones (N95 etc) that we are running from wifi spot to wifi spot to use data on a mobile phone when the operators have the infrastructure to do it over 3g. It's like having a Ferrari but only be allowed use it on a dirt track road while a perfectly good motorway runs alongside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

agreed. Both Voda and O2 match each other in pricing (~€15 for 25mb) and are crippling mobile data with their useless offerings. 3 on the otherhand have a great mobile data pack and I'd seriously consider moving to them if I could use my current handset.

You can use your current handset with 3, but only if it is a 3G handset. So a SIM free N95 works fine with 3. Just get one of their free handsets and use that as a backup should yours ever get lost, stolen or break down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

That's interesting. Is that unrestricted Internet access, not just http/s? (I realise there seems to be a proxy involved on the prepay side)

Apparently it is unrestricted on billpay. At least that is what people seem to say; I haven't verified that myself. If you have a problem, they have a 14 day return policy anyway.

So sure it's worth getting and if it does not work, simply return it for a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You can use your current handset with 3, but only if it is a 3G handset. So a SIM free N95 works fine with 3. Just get one of their free handsets and use that as a backup should yours ever get lost, stolen or break down.

That's not always true as I've posted many times. I only got 3pay to work albeit via lousy proxy on my N95. I've moved back to meteor with a 10GB unlimited package. Unfortuanately even though it is €30 that is ex VAT plus you have to be on talk400 minimum (another €60).

Advertisement