Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped Question

• 04-07-2007 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Afternoon all,
    basically im looking to buy a moped and im looking for any advice any of you may have. Ill be looking to buy something like a 50cc Vespa or Piaggio(or something similar i love the look of these). Im looking to buy second hand more than likely.
    Basically ive been on mopeds before(flew around Thailand on them for a fair while in Thailand - fantastic fun as long as your careful.most people arent and so many people were walking around with injuries.) but im completely new to buying, insurance etc.
    1.As i said ill be looking to buy second hand - any recommendations on where to buy and what price i can expect to pay?It doesnt have to be anything fancy just something to get me around. Ive been looking on the net and 50cc vespas and the like seem to go for about 1000euro?

2.What will the insurance be like - im 24, have my theory test.

3.Is there anything i need besides the theory test. Ive been told that under 125cc thats it?But as i said im completely new to this so im not sure.

Any help or advice at all is appreciated.

This is the kind of scooter im thinking looks wise. I love the shape of these.
    http://www.portalmotos.com/www/images/content/vespa/Vespa%20200%20Iris.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You'll be lucky to get one in good nick for 1k - they're a very popular scooter.

Insurance - It's going to be pretty hefty - my insurance on my first bike (50cc scooter) when I was 24 was 800euro TPO, check AON, Quinn Direct and Carol Nash for insurance quotes.

The ones in the picture come in 125cc, 150cc and 250cc form - for the 125cc or below you'll need a A1 license, anything above and you'll need an A license, once you're theory test is done you'll need to send off for a provisional A1 or A. (Personally I'd advise going for the A as if you get your test and sit it on a bigger machine you can upgrade to pretty much whatever you want after two years).

Most of those vespa's (125 and above) have gears - the ones in thailand might not have so get some training before you head out on the road (that goes for gears or not).

If it's a 50cc machine a full car license will allow you to drive it if not apply for one of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

Cheers Colm thats exactly the kind of info im looking for. Early days in trying to sort it out yet.
    As far as i can make out from the site after the theory test i send off for either the A or A1 i can have two provisional licenses(for 2 years each) and drive on them. Then i have to do the actual motorcycle driving test?Have i got that right?I would probably look to get it before then but what im basically asking is you can drive on the A or A1 provisional?

The insurance is pretty much what i was thinking. I got a friend of mine to do a quote for a 125 and it was somewhere around that. Cheers for the companies to check.

Some of the bikes in Thailand had gears, some didnt. It was luck of the draw. They definately take a bit of getting used to.

Have you any recommendations on where to look for prices etc?Im not too worried about the state of the frame itself it can look like it has a bit of wear and tear as long as the engines going well.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah either A or A1 license will allow you to drive a moped, a full B will also allow you to drive something under 50cc

There's no 'Moped' test only a bike test.

My boss was looking for a 50cc vespa for the last month and ended up buying a new one because all the ones he found were rubbish and the engines were only giving about 20MPH.

As for places to try:
    - Buy and sell
    - Adverts.ie
    - Bike Buyer's Guide
    - Gumtree.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The bike in the picture is a Piaggio Vespa PX model...comes in 125, 150 and 200cc flavours (althought they stopped making the 200cc in 2003 due to EU regulations, its the best of the bunch though) LML also make an identical clone of the PX which is generally cheaper. (LML were contracted by Piaggio to make vespas for the indain market in the 1960s and went on to make their own version off the same blueprints when the lost the contract in the 1990s)
    My first scooter was an LML NV150!

Still vespa parts are plentiful and there are millions of them around the world. Pick up a copy of "Scootering" magazine and check out the price of the bikes and all the custom parts available in the UK etc. Vespa PX's are a geared 4 speed bike with manual clutch on the left handlebar which means you can sit you full A licence on one in Ireland as long as it a 200cc model. Try get a post 1998 px which will have a disk brake fitted as standard. Modern models also have an autolube system for mixing the 2 stroke oil automatically, unlike older 1950-1980s vespas.

Try the Vespa Club of Ireland forum for 2nd hand bikes and have a look at the stock in the 4 irish shops that sell classic vespa and lambrettas.

scooterisland - dublin
    streetstyle - belfast
    scooterwarehouse - cork
    southside scooters - waterford.

Thanks for the help lads a few leads to chase up anyway.Appreciate it.

Nice website there for scooterisland.Ill wander in next weekend and have a look. Cheers again lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Always bought through the buy and sell with no probs- remember to Haggle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've a scooter but I can't stand the sight of a Vespa, reckon they're damn ugly.
    Others seems to love them and their retro look.

It seems you either love or hate these Vespas, that's taste I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_c wrote:
    If it's a 50cc machine a full car license will allow you to drive it if not apply for one of the above.
    It's not so simple now. Statutory Instrument 705 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers)(Amendment)Regulations signed into law on the 10th of November 2004 made several changes to the previous regulations.

Category B license on renewal now only cover a motorist on category M if the applicant has indicated that on their application and the category M must be indicated on the actual license.

Prior to this a category B license automatically covered category M.

(Category W remains the same - it's automatically covered under a B license).

Are the tests for the M,A1 and A all the same does anybody know? As in why would you sit the test and get the A1 which limits you to up to 125cc when you could just sit the A?Age?As in you must be >18 or whatever?Even if your not planning on getting a bike over 125cc.And also what exactly qualifies as M(it just specifies 'moped')?Is that just 50cc?

Also micmclo im the opposite. I love the look of vespas and piaggios - i also had a look at the LML India's that Tomohawk mentioned i think its class!But i couldnt see myself on the more modern looking scooters.Just seems to be personal preference really.

I must have a look at insurance now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

why would you sit the test and get the A1 which limits you to up to 125cc when you could just sit the A?
    You may do an A1 test if over 16 but you must be over 18 to do the A.
    And also what exactly qualifies as M(it just specifies 'moped')?Is that just 50cc?
    “moped” means a mechanically propelled bicycle fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres, if of the internal combustion type, and/or having a maximum design speed of not more than 45 kilometres per hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement