Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumbass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lucky it came back nice and slow, otherwise he'd be missing more than his hearing protection :eek:

Nearly collected a Darwin Award :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I worry when "Shooting at an iron plate leads to ricochets" counts as news to shooters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Yikes that was a pretty close call, but what exactly was he shooting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    I worry when "Shooting at an iron plate leads to ricochets" counts as news to shooters!

Haven't seen the video as its blocked by work

but is the person shooting at iron plates which are at 90 degrees to the shot

or is he stupidly shooting at a hard surface at a shallow angle

It sounded like a metal plate. You can have two reactions from that sort of target; the bullet or fragments thereof can come straight back at the shooter if the plate is at exactly ninety degrees to the shot, or if it's angled downwards you can get a double ricochet off the plate and then off a stone on the ground.

Either way, he got very lucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vegeta wrote:
    Haven't seen the video as its blocked by work

but is the person shooting at iron plates which are at 90 degrees to the shot

or is he stupidly shooting at a hard surface at a shallow angle
    Here's a thread on the incident over on The High Road, with input from a friend of the shooter in the video-
    http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=285410

He was shooting at a steel plate at 100 yards with a .50BMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

also it says their using iron core ammunition which if they were in fact shooting at a plate it would'nt spawl! 'we're not doin that anymore':D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rovi wrote:
    He was shooting at a steel plate at 100 yards with a .50BMG.
    That must have been a real challenge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

That puckered up my butthole.:eek:

Hezz700 wrote:
    That puckered up my butthole

Indeed :D

Made a fair old hum coming back at him, there's all kinds of data about how far backsplash can travel depending on the ammo and type of backstop. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out that ball ammo shot from a .50 might travel back farther than 100yds!

The environment that he was shooting in wouldn't have been my favourite either, looked very rocky to me. In fact it appears that the ricochet struck the ground in front of him before removing his ear defenders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement