Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 problematic roundabouts in Galway

Options
  • 04-07-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

The magic roundabout obviously (headford road one with the traffic lights)
    The problem is coming onto it from the city centre. All the cars coming out of tesco etc. there use up your slot so it's extremely difficult to get onto.

What do you think could be done about this??

The other one is on the tuam road beside statoil (bohermore). It's bloody tiny and is full every evening with cars stuck on the roundabout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What do you think could be done about this?
    The usual procedure is to add traffic lights but this sort of defeats the purpose of the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

The usual procedure is to add traffic lights but this sort of defeats the purpose of the roundabout.

I've never seen one of these roundabouts anywhere else. Are there many in Dublin?

Theres no way they could put lights on the small Tuam road one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It already has lights...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galwaytt wrote:
    It already has lights...........
    I'm not familiar with it but do the lights not restrict the otherwise constant flow into it?

I'm not familiar with it but do the lights not restrict the otherwise constant flow into it?

You would have to see it to believe this setup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pure magic that roundabout, what I love is when you are coming down the road from bothermore on the roundabout, ur lights turn great but the apes from the headford side don' take any heed and sale towards u!!
    Most people have issues with roundabouts, they don't even realise there is lights on it!!

yop wrote:
    Pure magic that roundabout, what I love is when you are coming down the road from bothermore on the roundabout, ur lights turn great but the apes from the headford side don' take any heed and sale towards u!!
    Most people have issues with roundabouts, they don't even realise there is lights on it!!

I am finding it difficult to understand your thread but the one near statoil is the bohermore one and that isn't the magic roundabout.

The people that pull come out of tesco onto the magic roundabout are perfectly entitled to as they have no lights!

3 out of the 5, yes, the other 2, no. Oh, and there's 1 set actually on the roundabout as well.

Simple, see ? :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am finding it difficult to understand your thread but the one near statoil is the bohermore one and that isn't the magic roundabout.

The people that pull come out of tesco onto the magic roundabout are perfectly entitled to as they have no lights!

Read it again :p

Coming down from CT electric side of town, towards roundabout, tesco on ur left, Dunnes on your right.
    Light turns green for u to go ahead, people coming from ur right, whos light is red, don't even see the light and keep going

yop wrote:
    Read it again :p

Coming down from CT electric side of town, towards roundabout, tesco on ur left, Dunnes on your right.
    Light turns green for u to go ahead, people coming from ur right, whos light is red, don't even see the light and keep going

Oh sorry yes that can happen very very easily but people don't run the light intentionally (apart from the odd arsehole of course)

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:
    3 out of the 5, yes, the other 2, no. Oh, and there's 1 set actually on the roundabout as well.

Simple, see ? :rolleyes:

There's two sets on the roundabout I think.

Oh sorry yes that can happen very very easily but people don't run the light intentionally (apart from the odd arsehole of course)

...as distinct from the ordinary, common-or-garden arsehole, that is :D

workaccount - actually, I've re-re thought about it.....are there not 3 sets on it ? :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Magic Roundabout: If only people paid attention to lanes!

Excuse the manky drawing; will try harder in the future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I don't have any problem with them. Well apart from people changing lanes without warning on the magic one as mentioned.

Terrible drawing! :p

B00MSTICK wrote:
    I don't have any problem with them. Well apart from people changing lanes without warning on the magic one as mentioned.

Terrible drawing! :p

Try coming out from city centre on a Thursday or Friday or between 5:15 and 6:30 in the evening. Sometimes you really need to chance your arm (drivers side of car) just to get out. On one part of it there isn't feck all time and room to get into the right lane.

Not great drawing but it's not an art contest. It does the job. However there is one more set of lights on it. Just before the third exit after coming onto the roundabout from the city centre. It's this part that theres feck all time to get into the left lane if your coming round on the inside lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Fey! wrote:
    Magic Roundabout: If only people paid attention to lanes!
    Is this the one?-
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.282285,-9.047874&spn=0.002377,0.005021&t=k&z=18&om=1

Rovi wrote:

Yes it is, could not believe it for a second though. It looks so different from above. I had to trace the roads just to believe it. The road im talking about (coming from city centre) is facing south.

EDIT: That image has not been updated in a while. Look at eyre square, it's still in development!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

That's the one. It almost looks normal from above but the inconsistent light policy mentioned above coupled with the lane marking on it cause interesting problems.

The two bottom entrances to the roundabout on the map have incoming traffic from the main shopping centres with parking in town and have no light to stop them from pulling on while other entrances are supposed to be getting through.

As you pass between those two bottom exits the lane markings move (an exaggerated curve) so that the innermost moves to being the middle lane to exit on the left, the middle lane becomes the outer lane. This sounds fine in theory except that the bottom left exit lets cars jut out into the outer lane making drivers going for the left exit in two lanes contend for the same space. This is compounded as traffic backs up from the internal lights on the left blocking the outer lane of the exit to the left. And then you add in the generally shoddy lane discipline. This means you often have two marked lanes with half of each one blocked. People just drive where this some space.

During the Christmas shopping season the traffic exiting from the bottom right (no light) gets so heavy that it gets close to impossible to enter from the right entrance which has a light.

There are other niceties such as the extra filter lane going from the left entrance to the top exit that makes you exit blind into traffic at an angle where your mirrors don't work and you can't see over your shoulder properly due to your B-pillar.

In typical evening traffic the first thing you need to do when you get a green light is wait for the traffic jam on the roundabout (caused by the internal lights) to clear prior to pulling on.

The second problem roundabout mentioned is the one at the end of the road from the right exit on the map. It's just far too small and results in a strange kind of usage where everyone accelerates hard to get into a space then brakes hard to avoid hitting the vehicle in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry about missing the lights stopping traffic on the roundabout to let shopping centre traffic out.

Rovi; that picture really looks strange!

Advertisement