Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch with If/else statement ?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey im using flex, actionscript 3
    -Taking in an XML file , E4X
    -Need to query it

cc.JPG
    if(inputB.text==(""))
    {
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.(forename==inputA.text);
    Answer.htmlText = searchResult;
    }

else if(inputA.text==(""))
    {
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.(surname==inputB.text);
    }
    else
    {
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.((forename==inputA.text)&&(surname==inputB.text));
    }

- If/else statement did fine to get all combinations of First/Last name where result is returned when either is queryed OR when both match

Problem now is that each person also has a date associated with them(later a city too),
    im not sure how to integrate this in, should i be using a switch ? if so what
    would be the input for the switch statement ? bit confused.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ok, its been a very long time since i've done anything like this...if ever :eek:

That is JAVA, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

actionscript 3 but notation is similar to Java/C
    i just need help with the algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ok, yeah i understand what you mean now.

In the short term you can increase the number of possibilities to 9 (i think) taking into account all the possiblities... but this is not practical, especially if you plan adding more details.

I dont know much about switch but im pretty sure its "bad" programming to use it..

what about something like one statement where you tick all the boxes where a date/ firstname ./etc is present, then have a for loop (for the amount of boxes ticked do)
    input.2 && input.5 && input.6 etc where the number represents the attribute (or box) searched...

hmm, i dont understand? can you explain it further?
    i got the switch working, gonna try nest in some more statements, not sure what use using switch was at all !
    switch(true)
    {
    case(inputB.text==("")):
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.(forename==inputA.text);
    break;    

case(inputA.text==("")):   
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.(surname==inputB.text);
    break;

case(inputA.text!=("")&&(inputB.text!=(""))):
    searchResult = dataDetails.person.((forename==inputA.text)&&(surname==inputB.text));
    break;
    }   

anyone ? i dont think i should even be using if/else statements, it will be too long And will be hacked together !:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How about something like...

searchString = ""

Then individual IFs after that appending to the search string if the condition is met. Then run the search on the final string.

This will stop chained if statements (which are prone to hard debugging) and you will only have one command that executes the search making it easier to maintain if you need to edit that syntax later.

hey i dont quite get you
    are you saying i should put each query [eg: Fname] into a string variable then apply search string on it and if it stays true then go on to next... etc ?

thanks for the reply

Advertisement