Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a solution to the tediousness involved in my tech support job

• 04-07-2007 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

All our servers are VM's so we can access them all from the same window in our VMware console, extremely efficient and handy but causes one pain which i'll revisit after explaining the main issue I have.

Right, we have a load of remote stores. We RDP onto all our remote servers and I have to connect to each one individually. Is there any program I can get to compile all my remote store servers into... along with username and password details saved so I don't have to input them each time. I want to be able to log in to any store quickly through a handy interface. In other words something similiar to the VMware setup.

With VMware every time I want to log into server I need to input my username and password. I used password manager on KDE before and it was great. When you wanted to access any app or website the password manager would popup asking for the master password and if provided correctly would provide the correct details that I had enetered into its database. I want something like this for our setup here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Remote Desktops MMC Snap-In from Windows Server 2003 Administrative Tools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can save a RDP logon from withing the Remote desktop client. This lets you save the passwords and any specific settings for that logon.

You can then add them to a toolbar folder for easy access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

matrim wrote:
    You can save a RDP logon from withing the Remote desktop client. This lets you save the passwords and any specific settings for that logon.

You can then add them to a toolbar folder for easy access.

I used remote desktops but found it a bit buggy jumping from server to server, I use Matrim post for all my RDP secessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

you could use PC Anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DecTenToo wrote:
    Remote Desktops MMC Snap-In from Windows Server 2003 Administrative Tools?

That's the way I do it. It will save your username/password/domain details if you want and auto log you in when you click on a server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Stephen wrote:
    That's the way I do it. It will save your username/password/domain details if you want and auto log you in when you click on a server.
    it is handy, however as a rule of thumb in IT i would always recommend not saving usernames and passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

it is handy, however as a rule of thumb in IT i would always recommend not saving usernames and passwords.

How many organizations actually care about security in this country?
    Apart from financial institutions which are required by law.

you'd be suprised at how ridiculously secure some of our clients are!

big brother watch out!

you'd be suprised at how ridiculously secure some of our clients are!

big brother watch out!

Really? Would they have dedicated security folk? Your talking non-financial right?

yeah non financial,
    we alone in our place have 10 IT security staff globally.

the majority of our clients would have at least 1 security person full time

• Advertisement

yeah non financial,
    we alone in our place have 10 IT security staff globally.

the majority of our clients would have at least 1 security person full time

Well I knew the multi-nationals would actually. I was referring (though I did not make myself clear in any way:) ) mostly to national companies.

well even before we got aquired we were still very security conscious. A lot of our procedures were very similar to what we have in place now with the new policies.

well even before we got aquired we were still very security conscious. A lot of our procedures were very similar to what we have in place now with the new policies.

How do you suggest I bring this up with management if we have no record of break-ins (theres probably been plenty, we just don't know about them)?

I probably won't though seeing as i'm in a junior positon but I would like to know what angle I could take should a problem ever arise.

well as they say prevention is better than cure..

your best bet would be to go to your direct manager and say you feel security isn't up to scratch.

When you do apporach him/her make sure you have a well backed plan, don't just go up and say security's sh1te!

Come up with a list of all your security measures and policies and see what can be improved.

work from there on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

(theres probably been plenty, we just don't know about them)?
    That's probably the first place to start. "Are you aware that we have absolutely no idea whether or not we are losing information either by accident or by theft, and indeed we have no way of detecting such incidents?".

That fact alone would scare the **** out of a lot of managers. Ignorance is bliss. I would say as a whole, Irish companies have a relatively poor security policy, and a generally lax attitude to it. Multinationals will have a fairly mature setup, particularly if they have an American base.

well as they say prevention is better than cure..

your best bet would be to go to your direct manager and say you feel security isn't up to scratch.

When you do apporach him/her make sure you have a well backed plan, don't just go up and say security's sh1te!

Come up with a list of all your security measures and policies and see what can be improved.

work from there on.

Hmmm, and have you any idea how I tie in asking for a raise for taking on all that extra work! ;)

I would bring it up but I'm not interested in being a security professional. However, I am interested in having a professionally run IT department.

Hmmm, and have you any idea how I tie in asking for a raise for taking on all that extra work! ;)

I would bring it up but I'm not interested in being a security professional. However, I am interested in having a professionally run IT department.
    do it for the experience... it will look good on ur cv.

make it a project

do it for the experience... it will look good on ur cv.

make it a project

Yeah maybe I will. Cheers for the replies.

Advertisement