Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Netgear Modem

Options
  • 04-07-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I have a strange problem. I bought a Netgear DG834PN wireless modem to replace the Zyxel router that came with my Perlico BB. It takes forever to establish a DSL connection. The Zyxel will connect in under a minute, the Netgear can take over an hour!!! What is REALLY strange is that the Zyxel is set to use PPPoE and LLC, the Netgear PPPoA and VC. The netgear won't connect with the same settings as the Zyxel :confused: !

Once it connects it's fine but if it loses the connection I usually just hook up the Zyxel (screw the sons XBox :eek: ) and plug the netgear back in b4 I go to bed.

Any clues, I've been putting up with this for a while (I don't dc very often!)

RonanH

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RonanH wrote:
    Hi,

I have a strange problem. I bought a Netgear DG834PN wireless modem to replace the Zyxel router that came with my Perlico BB. It takes forever to establish a DSL connection. The Zyxel will connect in under a minute, the Netgear can take over an hour!!! What is REALLY strange is that the Zyxel is set to use PPPoE and LLC, the Netgear PPPoA and VC. The netgear won't connect with the same settings as the Zyxel :confused: !

Once it connects it's fine but if it loses the connection I usually just hook up the Zyxel (screw the sons XBox :eek: ) and plug the netgear back in b4 I go to bed.

Any clues, I've been putting up with this for a while (I don't dc very often!)

RonanH

The correct settings for the Netgear are:
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

You could also try checking to see if the Netgear has the latest firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I had the same trouble with the Netgear DG834GT. I was using all the correct settings. It would take hours to sync with the exchange, although it was very fast at doing so initially. To my horror, I plugged in the Netopia eircom gave me for free when I signed up. It synced straight away. Stuck using that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RonanH

Hi,

Cheers for the replies. I've tried using the "correct" settings and it won't connect at all. Maybe I didn't leave it for long enough ;) but how come it is connecting with the wrong settings. Bit wierd!

What really peeves me is that the bog-standard, single port, non-wireless Zyxel will connect really fast. Is it normal for a modem to take so long or have Perlico "tuned" their system to quickly recognise the modem they supply?

Other than that I'm happy with the connection, well for the last few weeks anyhow, before that it was craptastic!

I have the latest firmware in the Netgear btw.

RonanH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have a Netgear DG834GT with BT and I use the following settings with no issues. Connects in seconds.

Encapsulation: PPPoA

Edit: I think a MTU of 1450

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RonanH wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers for the replies. I've tried using the "correct" settings and it won't connect at all. Maybe I didn't leave it for long enough ;) but how come it is connecting with the wrong settings. Bit wierd!

What really peeves me is that the bog-standard, single port, non-wireless Zyxel will connect really fast. Is it normal for a modem to take so long or have Perlico "tuned" their system to quickly recognise the modem they supply?

Other than that I'm happy with the connection, well for the last few weeks anyhow, before that it was craptastic!

I have the latest firmware in the Netgear btw.

RonanH

You can take it for granted that Perlico have not 'tuned' their system as they are simply reselling the Eircom wholesale product. There is every possibility that there is a fault with the Netgear - it should not take more than a few seconds to sync.

• Advertisement

OK, I'll try it with the right settings again and with the BT settings too for the hell of it. I assume that BT are re-sellers too? If so shouldn't the encapsulation be the same for Eircom, Perlico and BT?

Might try reflashing it too, you never know it might sort it out.

I'll report on progress (or lack of) later.

Cheers!
    RonanH

Unfortunately I didn't get much of a chance to mess with the modem last night. All I got to do was check the current settings again which are the same as the BT ones that ongarite posted...
    Encapsulation: PPPoA

I was mistaken in thinking that the multiplexing was VC based.

Is it possible that it would work on PPPoA if it was supposed to be PPPoE. Aren't they completely different protocals?

I will email Netgear and ask if they have come across similar slow sync problems before.

RonanH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not unusual to be honest. I've had many problems with Linksys and Belkin WiFi/Router/Modems not being able to maintain DSL sync. Connection times of up to 15 or 20 mins were common, but disconnection would occur after a few minutes while the ISP provided device would sync up straight away and stay connected. The last 2 problems I had were both in Skerries for some reason ??
    One was with BT and the other with Eircom.

ZEN

Advertisement