Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

about this forum

• 04-07-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

are we only allowed to post in our teams threads?

i see fans of liverpool and manu posting in each others threads, yet every once in a while it gets someones back up, and they are asked why are they posting in there, they have their own thread?

is it in the charter?
    are we not allowed to discuss other teams signings?

can i not go into the liverpool thread and say torres will be a flop, or that hargreaves is over-rated in the manu one for fear of upsetting someone?

that certainly seems to be the attitude of some people.

sorry for the mini rant, but i like to talk about general football, i like a good debate about football, but im afraid to do it in some threads for fear of being told not to post in it.

whilst people are not openly told to leave, there is an underlying feeling of it.

personally i think it should change, but thats just opinion of a lowly leeds fan

carry on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You are welcome to say what you like, just be prepared to back it up if you are challenged on it or duck if it turns out that you were talking complete tosh and are about to have loads of crap from whatever fans chucked at ya.

BTW if this thread is used as a I hate PHB thread or a REACTOR is (not picking on you guys or suggesting that you are breaking the rules or whatnot, just using names people will recognise) always doing xyz thread or liverpool fans are backstards or United fans are wayne carss or what not then it will be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i second that. people should be allowed post in watever thread they want.

BUT if people are making sweeping statements, they should be able to back it up or else they should expect their opinion to not get a great reaction!

Ie. Someone says Ronaldo is ****, unless they have a pretty good reason can expect most Utd fans here to jump down their throats. Or if someone says Torres has been forced on Rafa, they can expect a the liverpool fans to be mighty unimpressed.

Also, people should be allowed have civilised conversations in threads without a risk of a banning just because its deemed slightly off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i second that. people should be allowed post in watever thread they want.

BUT if people are making sweeping statements, they should be able to back it up or else they should expect their opinion to not get a great reaction!

Ie. Someone says Ronaldo is ****, unless they have a pretty good reason can expect most Utd fans here to jump down their throats. Or if someone says Torres has been forced on Rafa, they can expect a the liverpool fans to be mighty unimpressed.

Also, people should be allowed have civilised conversations in threads without a risk of a banning just because its deemed slightly off topic.
    Obviously, if someone says MillerSangel (as he has asked to be called...) talks rubbish alot, you don't need to back it up at all....:p

Seriously though - I agree with MillerSangel here - as long as you are civil it shouldn't matter where you post; in fact, i think an 'outside' perspective on subjects is a good thing to have, and should be encouraged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

why are some utd fans bitter about the torres signing? didnt they spend about £50m so far this summer on top players?

bitter & snobby utd fans are just as bad (if not worse) then delusional Liverpool fans.

and yeah its grand to post in other teams threads, just as long as your not trolling/bitter.

now go on, tell me your not bitter and that you were just trying to make a point. thats why you started this thread, seriously it is

ha ha ha, i'll tell ya wat Tauren! Even though you follow an inferior team . . . you can call me Al (does that mean i can call you Betty?! :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jazzy wrote:

bitter & snobby utd fans are just as bad (if not worse) then delusional Liverpool fans.

Your all the same to me tbh :D

kdjac

ha ha ha, i'll tell ya wat Tauren! Even though you follow an inferior team . . . you can call me Al (does that mean i can call you Betty?! :))
    Nah - you can call me Peggy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the old days of a thread per subject was much better, may as well have the pool/manu threads stickified at this stage.

Torres to 'pool would have been a great thread in it's own right, but instead it's amalgamated with all the other pool news, making forum history kinda redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Jazzy wrote:
    why are some utd fans bitter about the torres signing? didnt they spend about £50m so far this summer on top players?

and yeah its grand to post in other teams threads, just as long as your not trolling/bitter.

now go on, tell me your not bitter and that you were just trying to make a point. thats why you started this thread, seriously it is

no, i didnt make any posts in those threads at all.

was just looking at other people's reactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

event wrote:
    no, i didnt make any posts in those threads at all.

was just looking at other people's reactions
    Are you lying, or did you just forget about the silly comments you were making about Gerrard earlier this week in the Liverpool thread?
    astrofool wrote:
    Torres to 'pool would have been a great thread in it's own right, but instead it's amalgamated with all the other pool news, making forum history kinda redundant.
    Indeed it would have made a great thread.

However we would then also have threads about:

Tevez to Liverpool
    Bent to Liverpool
    Mancini to Liverpool
    Benayoun to Liverpool
    Quaresma to Liverpool
    Heinze to Liverpool
    Simao to Liverpool
    and more, plus a similar amount of manc threads - not sure the majority would want that.....

• Advertisement

Are you lying, or did you just forget about the silly comments you were making about Gerrard earlier this week in the Liverpool thread?

Tevez to Liverpool
    Bent to Liverpool
    Mancini to Liverpool
    Benayoun to Liverpool
    Quaresma to Liverpool
    Heinze to Liverpool
    Simao to Liverpool
    and more, plus a similar amount of manc threads - not sure the majority would want that.....
    But torres to liverpool is a big name transfer that has happened, so it could have a thread of its own. I don't think it would be required to have a new thread for every piece of idel speculation, at least not until we hear contracts are being discussed and transfer fees agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tauren wrote:
    But torres to liverpool is a big name transfer that has happened, so it could have a thread of its own. I don't think it would be required to have a new thread for every piece of idel speculation, at least not until we hear contracts are being discussed and transfer fees agreed.
    Agreed - transfers that have been agreed can have their own threads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

... or a REACTOR is (not picking on you guys or suggesting that you are breaking the rules or whatnot, just using names people will recognise) always doing xyz thread...

I am always doing xyz thread? I have no idea what that means.

Either way, on the topic at hand, posters can and do post on threads pertaining to other clubs (like Zener's misguided nonsense yesterday). That's ok. As much as you are allowed do that, other people are allowed say you are talking through your hole.

Talking crap about underlying feelings of not being welcome... what are you? a sissy? FFS. Get on with it. Big girl's blouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tevez to Liverpool
    Bent to Liverpool
    Mancini to Liverpool
    Benayoun to Liverpool
    Quaresma to Liverpool
    Heinze to Liverpool
    Simao to Liverpool

God Forbid if we had such threads , The internet might grind to a halt. Best we leave the bandwidth for all the intellegentia on after hours, the cuckoos nest, mustard etc etc.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Talking crap about underlying feelings of not being welcome... what are you? a sissy? FFS. Get on with it. Big girl's blouse.

i feel this man has made the best point of all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i actually did for get about that
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:

far from it

but i dont want to post something and then have around 10 fans jump down my throat and then be told to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Maybe the team threads could be kept as a rumour mill + team related info (how did the reserves do last night kind of thing), and then anything more concrete could have it's own thread. Or we start subdividing the forums, which has been a kind of success for Games where Nintendo, Sony, Xbox have their own forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There is definately too much of a "its my ball you cant play with it" attitude on these threads, more so on the liverpool thread.

This is the soccer forum where all people in interests of football can talk about various aspects of the game. Since we are in the mist of a summer transfer then thats what people talk about. If someone has a different opinion then someone else they should have a right to post it without the fear of being called a troll

E.g what happened to Zener on the liverpool thread.

Maybe a defination of a troll should be added to the charter so that posters cant hind behind the accusation.

If various fans are not happy with that then maybe they should ask for their own private forum like spurs fans, but ghettoising the soccer forum in this way is detriment to the entire forum

just my 2cents

"fear of being called a troll"

If the worst thing that happens to you in a day, is that you are called a troll, then that's a good day.

Zener was talking bollox, not only opinion-wise, but factually inaccurate bollox. He is a troll. Which is fine, let him troll. But he was talking through his anus.

I don't see what the problem is, no one was banned. Are you upset that everyone didn't give each other a reach-around? Its this kind of nonsense that has driven the soccer forum to have so many rules.

You're all so worried about your "feelings".

I suggest giving this forum a go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99

or this one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=464

The above just displays an ingorance on the matter.

But its very easy to hide being using tuhe word troll.
    Many people called him that and basicly told him to **** off from that thread.

I feel that he was genuinely trying to make a point. I didnt agree with all of it but he did hava a few vaild points and did make an effort to explain himself.

I had my run ins with him aswell so i know what he can be like but I respect him more for for it
    "fear of being called a troll"

Well fear may not be the best word I could have used but of people feel intimidated and thereby dont bother posting then can that be a good thing?

Also interesting that you decided to ingore pretty much everything else i said on the matter

Fashion?Politics? I dont get it!

My name isnt David Norris if thats what your trying to say, although I do admire him for what he does regarding human and civil rights

Just say whats on your mind.

• Advertisement

Nobody disputed the points that he made that were valid with him. It was the unsubstatiated rubbish that people accused him (quite rightly in my view) of trolling for.

And the reason (i feel) that you do not see the mass calling of oppo fans trolls on the Man United or Arsenal threads is because the fans of other teams generally do not go in there, spout rubbish and then expect it to be taken as gospel, while preaching about their right to free speech and the right to post what they like where they like.

If I went onto the United thread and said that I think SAF was an ass and that he has nothing to do with picking the team and all of the star players that he bought/brought through were really down to Peter Kenyon do you think that would be received well there ? Do you perhaps think that fans of that team or any who were faced with such insubstatiated rubbish would just so, Oh no I disagree, I think you are wrong. Or would I be accused of trolling and probably quite vehemently shown the error of my ways ? And in the face of all of that if I continued on my crusade in direct opposition to all of the facts presented to me do you think I could then be called a troll ? Where do you think that my trolling started ? Do you think that I would deserve all that I got ? I know if I were to do such a thing in another teams thread what to expect and I expect that anybody else who did would have the cop on to know the same and not whinge about being bullied or whatnot...

I am fairly confident that Tinky knew what he was doing and that he knew what to expect and that he is just using this as a platform to push his anti liverpool garbage once again.

jank wrote:
    The above just displays an ingorance on the matter.

But its very easy to hide being using tuhe word troll.
    Many people called him that and basicly told him to **** off from that thread.

I feel that he was genuinely trying to make a point. I didnt agree with all of it but he did hava a few vaild points and did make an effort to explain himself.

I had my run ins with him aswell so i know what he can be like but I respect him more for for it

Well fear may not be the best word I could have used but of people feel intimidated and thereby dont bother posting then can that be a good thing?

Also interesting that you decided to ingore pretty much everything else i said on the matter

Fashion?Politics? I dont get it!

My name isnt David Norris if thats what your trying to say, although I do admire him for what he does regarding human and civil rights

Just say whats on your mind.

oops meant to link to the Personal Issues forum.

My point... ie that which is on my mind is that you sound like a nancy boy. Moreover, you are not "defending" Zener's right to free speech (which he was given), rather you are trying to restrict it from those who disagreed with him.

I suggest you go re-read all of his posts. Then go have a cry. When you are finished having a cry, and maybe get a hug from someone, come back here and discuss.

Tevez to Liverpool
    Yea, thatd have been a brilliant thread to read over today cos u would c all the pool fans backtrackin and sayin he's sh1t!!!

Yea, thatd have been a brilliant thread to read over today cos u would c all the pool fans backtrackin and sayin he's sh1t!!!
    Alot like other fans have done very recently about Torres you mean ??

And the reason (i feel) that you do not see the mass calling of oppo fans trolls on the Man United or Arsenal threads is because the fans of other teams generally do not go in there, spout rubbish and then expect it to be taken as gospel, while preaching about their right to free speech and the right to post what they like where they like.

That maybe true, but one would also have to acknowlege that some liverpool fans are a wee bit sensitive when others express a different opinion.
    That opinion may not be right but they have a right to it
    If I went onto the United thread and said that I think SAF was an ass and that he has nothing to do with picking the team and all of the star players that he bought/brought through were really down to Peter Kenyon do you think that would be received well there ? Do you perhaps think that fans of that team or any who were faced with such insubstatiated rubbish would just so, Oh no I disagree, I think you are wrong. Or would I be accused of trolling and probably quite vehemently shown the error of my ways ? And in the face of all of that if I continued on my crusade in direct opposition to all of the facts presented to me do you think I could then be called a troll ? Where do you think that my trolling started ? Do you think that I would deserve all that I got ? I know if I were to do such a thing in another teams thread what to expect and I expect that anybody else who did would have the cop on to know the same and not whinge about being bullied or whatnot...

Of course its utter rubbish if you said that, but Rafa doesnt have the kind of control over liverpool that Fergie has at Untied. Liverpool FC were bought only a few months ago. I dont agree that rafa didnt have any say in the purchase of torres but I do believe that he was bought more of a name and a big signing to appease some of the fans.
    if it pays off or not we shall see in the coming months

Anyway i have said my piece on this already, If Zener ment to troll(I believe it wasnt a troll but a genuine opnion) or not only he knows.

Basicly lay off the troll calling. If you dont agree either ignore or counter the claim with fact and/or opinion, as some in fairness did but others choose the easy way out.

Group Hug!!:p

jank wrote:
    Basicly lay off the troll calling.

You're a troll.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    You're a troll.
    so's your face.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRN!

My point... ie that which is on my mind is that you sound like a nancy boy. Moreover, you are not "defending" Zener's right to free speech (which he was given), rather you are trying to restrict it from those who disagreed with him.

I suggest you go re-read all of his posts. Then go have a cry. When you are finished having a cry, and maybe get a hug from someone, come back here and discuss.

No I want people to give their opinion.

Been called many things over my life but never a nancy boy. Why not go the whole hog and call me what you were trying to say early with those links, a F@got.

Not going to cry over it. Im comfortable with myself.

is **** a blocked word?

*edit* no it would appear not.

why would i call you an "f" at "got" ?

By the way your sig is too big and ugly.

• Advertisement

Might be

Would you think the word ****** should be blocked?

A crying Nancy boy?? Those that not closely resemable a fag?

I said my piece ill leave it at that.

i wish the img code was turned on...

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/crybaby.jpg

Jank thinks that the Liverpool thread is the worst for this!?!?!?

i'm in shock :)

I'm not long posting in these forums. and being perfectly honest - i find all the threads very welcoming.

I've posted in Utd thread a bit, and got a bit of stick for my opinions. fair enough

I've given Utd fans stick in the Liverpool thread for posting crap.

I am failing to see how fans sticking up for their club/players/manager when opposing fans say something somewhat controversial is a bad thing?!?!!??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not, but when any criticism of a team is automatically considered trolling by some people, it's just stupid. Most people don't do this, but some do, but to be honest, who gives a ****? If people post something you think if just utter bull****, why the **** you wouldn't just use the ignore feature is beyond me.

Jank thinks that the Liverpool thread is the worst for this!?!?!?

i'm in shock :)

I've posted in Utd thread a bit, and got a bit of stick for my opinions. fair enough

I've given Utd fans stick in the Liverpool thread for posting crap.

Have you been accused of trolling in the United thread ? I dont agree with a lot of the stuff you post but I don't think you are posting it just to cause trouble (trolling). Having a different opinion than the majority is not trolling but it's common practise here to dismiss that users opinion as trolling rather than engage or ignore it.

yep, i have been accused of trolling a few times in the Utd thread.

Go home troll, things like that said.

so so so hurtful to me, boo hoo hoo :)

• Advertisement

that wasn't cause people thought you were talking crap though - its cause you're ugly.

Like a troll.

Ugly that is.

;)

oh the banter:D

Don't be mocking now, you know this forum has some of the most easily offended souls on the planet.

utter bull**** . . . remember you used to answer every post like that?! those were the days!

we best be careful in this thread, don't want any threats of bans hanging over our head like yesterday! :)

Yeah, those were the days....*sob* oh well, times change i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

utter bull**** . . . remember you used to answer every post like that?! those were the days!
    :cool:

Go on then, tell us who you are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I post mostly in the United thread(and sometimes the pool thread)and I`m sure I`ve been called a troll or words to that effect in the past,but so what?

I post what I feel like posting and what I genuinely believe at the time and dont loose any sleep if some people get annoyed.Having said that it has only happened on occasion and I`m generally a nice guy.:D

Well I was surprised when Tinky joined the precious brigade, not so much when his band of chums rode in on their mighty steeds to protect him mind, still it's not like its real life or anything, no it's much more important than that.

Oh and miller, that was not a threat, it was a warning, which I will be happy to follow through on if people go OTT, have to look after the preciouses, to paraphrase god (not robbie fowler the other one) The meek will inherit the forum.

i dunno, i say more trolls. lets face it, we are all here cos we are bored and trolls make this place very interesting. its fun to make fun of them. :)

i think its just a matter of what you are saying. PHB posts in the pool thread all the time but at least when he posts it actually makes sense and has a point. hes probably the biggest utd head on these forums, yet he is welcome enough on the pool thread. why? because he doesnt just spout rubbish clearly written to provoke a response.

this whole thread is pretty much useless imo. "The big thread of feelings the soccer section of boards.ie"
    go talk feelings and emotions to Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split fans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Trolling or thread spoiling is quite different to having and opposing opinion. I'd like to think we can spot the difference 9/10.

I think there is a difference between offering an opposing opinion and making blanket comments designed to inflame and incite.

Personally, I'm quite happy to do the former but then again I have no obvious rival team represented here. Often I feel that posters here object more to who is saying something than what is being said.

Advertisement