Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QuinnD - Duty of Care

• 04-07-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭

This is not intended to launch a debate concerning the merits or risks of leaving your bike locked or unlocked, but....

I was just reading through the QD Motorcycle insurance policy document, and it includes the following section, on page 11:

Duty of Care:
    You and any insured person must:
    <snip>
    d) not leave the motorcycle unlocked while unattended or
    leave the keys to the ignition with the motorcycle while
    unattended;

Having heard that QD are unscrupulous when it comes to not paying out if you don't obey the policy documents down to the last letter, does this mean that if you (in theory) step away from the bike momentarily, and it is stolen, that you are not covered?

They seem to have borrowed much of their policy documentation from their car policy documents, so I'm wondering do they mean locked as in 'padlocked with a chain' or locked as in 'all of the doors are locked'. Any thoughts?

Am I committing to padlocking my bike during every waking moment when i am not riding it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Locks means locks as fitted to the vehicle, so at a minimum, the OEM lock.

Shackles/padlocks/chains are not part of the machine, and are therefore supplementary, they are not a requirement.

Meanwhile........back in the Real World..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's your interpretation, right? Would you be willing to gamble the value of your bike on the fact that (QD) they have the same interpretation?

'Locked' in motorcycle parlance typically means 'secured by a chain'.
    Look at every thread that begins 'Bike stolen......'. The next post is nearly always 'Do you know if it was locked'?

*Edit*: It's a moot point anyway.. They've changed their minds since they quoted me 10 days ago, and will no longer insure my bike on a comprehensive policy, unless it's kept in a shed or garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

*Edit*: It's a moot point anyway.. They've changed their minds since they quoted me 10 days ago, and will no longer insure my bike on a comprehensive policy, unless it's kept in a shed or garage.
    That's annoying - they going down the same route as Carole Nash. So most of us are left with more apparent choice in the market but actually still having to do business only with AON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

galwaytt wrote:
    Shackles/padlocks/chains are not part of the machine, and are therefore supplementary, they are not a requirement.

If the rules are ripped from the car policy then I would agree with galwaytt.

You would not be required to constantly have a steeringwheel or handbrake lock on a car to claim.

Yeah, this section is verbatim from their car policy. I wont get to put it to the test now.. At least AON has the 30% discount for car policies..

If I was getting comprehensive from them though, I'd check first, particularly given their previous feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

QD gave me a fully comp quote for a bike that was not garaged.
    CN did, but it more than eclipsed the other two quotes put together.

I went to AON who pretty much matched it (including my RoSPA and Cage discount).

I am happy to stay with AON as I have no problems with their cover or service.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's your interpretation, right? Would you be willing to gamble the value of your bike on the fact that (QD) they have the same interpretation?

'Locked' in motorcycle parlance typically means 'secured by a chain'.
    Look at every thread that begins 'Bike stolen......'. The next post is nearly always 'Do you know if it was locked'?

It is my interpretation, but it's also straightforward. Nowhere is it written, nor is there official provision for, or approved and homologated, on any motorcycle that I know of - except Peugeot scooters - for a chain/shackle etc..... By adding one, you could (nearly ;) argue that you are 'modifying' the bike...........and we don't want to touch that one !! :D

QD look promising, but they do give me the heeby-jeeby's..........2 months after insuring my wife's bike with them, they came back looking for an extra €100, claiming a 'mistake' in the quote............FFS ! Not confidence inspiring, but CN were just ripping us off. Looks like a choice of 0, then.....:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Did you tell QD to get lost? It's their business to offer you a premium based on your proposal form. If they muck it up they should take it on the chin and be more careful next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I really hope this never happens to ye but if yer bike does ever get stolen and qd asks you "was your bike chained?"

Just say yes.

I know its wrong, i know its against the law, i know, i know i know OK

BUT qd, aon and cn are all huge companies who can well afford to pay up.

now i'm only on about doin this if your bike is stolen from outside yor house or some simple way. Im not on about starting a scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I suppose it'd pretty hard for them to determine if the bike was chained or not. I know I'd be thinking about it if I'd been forking out for insurance for a few years and a bike was robbed from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i cancelled my policy with them. The price was great but if i wreck my bike I will not be in any mood to deal with bad insurance companies. I heard to many bad stories about them. CN may be expensive but when it come down to a claim or legal help you will be glad they are on your side.

For third party only Quinn would suit fine but fully comp is not an option with them. they don't pay out.

At the end of the day, I got AON down to 615 euro fully comp (so thank you QD for that!). That's compared to 1,130 last year (QD were looking for 490).

For the record:
    BMW Insurance (eagle Star): 879
    Carole Nash (who have never quoted me happy!): 1,077 :eek:

Still, got to be happy, about half of last years premium..

Advertisement