Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trails in the West/South

Options
  • 04-07-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

hey there,
    myself and a couple of buddies are hoping to head to one of Cork/Kerry/Clare/Galway/Mayo (basically anywhere that isn't near Dublin but still in Ireland) and we are hoping to find some nice easy trails for a bit of MTB. We are all pretty useless at off-road and will be riding hard-tails.

The plan is to rent somewhere for 5 to 7 days and use it as a base and head off in the morning to any nearby trails or scenic roads.

Does anyone know anywhere specific that they could recommend?

many thanks

P

Comments

Well Killarney or Limerick would probably be the best bases.10km outside Limerick you have Cratloe Woods.Nothing too hard.Nice easy beginner woods with about 5km of short trails scattered around the place.Killaloe is 30km outside Limerick but supposedly has a nice DH and XC course.It's supposed to be a lot more advanced though.I haven't been yet but it looks quite good yet difficult for a beginner.You would probably need maps for these areas so it's best to contact
    MBUL (the University of Limerick club)

There's also the Ballyhouras 40 km outside Limerick.The first trail(16km) is opening mid July.It looks quite simple.

The other base I would reccomend is Killarney.Just 5km outside Killarney there is a race track and some XC courses.Haven't ridden them yet so I'm not sure what they're like.There's a good map on the trail page of www.mtbireland.com. There's also the Old Kenmare Road and Striceen Mountain which are a fair bit more difficult.

Also...in Galway you have Clarinbridge woods,home to a 5km XC course and in Mayo you have Moore Hall Woods which contain a few short XC bits.Not sure if they're worth the visit though.There's also a bit in Cork but I don't know too much about that.It's best to contact the Cork mtb club for that(www.mbcc.ie/.)

My reccomendation would be a few days in Limerick for Cratloe and maybe Killaloe if ye are able for it.Then if the Ballyhouras are open ride the 16km trail on the way to Killarney.In Killarney ride the nearby trails and take a day off for the Old Kenmare Road and maybe Striceen Mountain.Then if you find anything good in Cork you could stray off that way for another few days.

Hope I've helped

Advertisement