Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity offers Masters in video games

Options
  • 04-07-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

saw this on rte.ie aswell. looks interesting, will be graduating from cs next year and will have to find something to avoid getting a real job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

There's a thread about this in programming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Saw it on TV3 at 6 and just now again on RTE. Looks rather interesting tbh. Hopefully we get some feedback from people who start it in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Supported by Microsoft
    Nice, in a way, as it should give access to some of MS's toys, but at the same time, would this limit people's scope, to only using .NET, and not non-MS programming prog's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

And the course Director is Steve Collins, commodore64 programmer extraordinaire and part owner of Havok. Nive guy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Curse me and my unrelated business degree! *rips up*

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Isnt there a similar course in IT Carlow, I remember there was talk of one anyway?

Edit: Sorry I see now that the one in carlow is a BSC course not a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    saw this on rte.ie aswell. looks interesting, will be graduating from cs next year and will have to find something to avoid getting a real job :D

Graduating from counter strike and doing a masters in video games??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

0ubliette wrote:
    counter strike has surprising career opportunities!

... be graduating from computer science next year ...

happy ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it anything other than a gimmick for trinity and a way of avoiding the real world for students?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

the_syco wrote:
    Nice, in a way, as it should give access to some of MS's toys, but at the same time, would this limit people's scope, to only using .NET, and not non-MS programming prog's?

I'd imagine they'll be trying to push XNA... which is probably a bad idea this early in it's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

humanji wrote:
    Is it anything other than a gimmick for trinity and a way of avoiding the real world for students?

Hey man, students need all the help they can get avoiding the real world, they need more courses like this, if nothing else! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i just hope that the final projects are good and released to the public for free

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be finishing my degree in cs (if only it was counter strike...i'd be getting a distinction for sure) this year, so i might look into this. I'd definatly go for another year avoiding any real world responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

This looks like it might actually be a worthwhile course, since it seems focused on teaching the students to actually sit down and make games. From what I've seen of other games courses, they mostly involve being told what you have to put in a game to make it "good", rather than giving them the tools to experiment for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

And the course Director is Steve Collins, commodore64 programmer extraordinaire and part owner of Havok. Nive guy too.

There was also a thread posted in TCD a while back... take note of the username. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

0ubliette wrote:

Haha that what i thought he meant/said as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

humanji wrote:

I don't think you appreciate how difficult the programming side of computer games is - I guarantee this course will be a lot tougher than 90% of IT Masters. Well, if they do it properly at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

humanji wrote:
    The real world is overrated anyway.

Blast my 2.2 result, if this was the kind of masters available earlier I might have worked harder.... maybe.

Advertisement