Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in Japan

Options
  • 04-07-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    has anybody been to japan for skiing or snowboarding, I am planning on going at Xmas and would like to spend a couple of weeks learning to snow board /ski. This would be my first time snow boarding so I dont need anything too full on, just beginner /intermediate runs.

I've been diggin around on some web pages but haven't had much luck finding any real info(only the reviews by the ski resorts themselves).
    Hope you can give me some advise.
    This place looks huge might be best to avoid the big tourist traps.
    http://shigakogen.gr.jp/english/

Thanks in advance,
    Murray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Murray13,

While I haven't been (yet) its definatly something I plan to do so I have read up on it a good bit.

The main problem with japan though from what Ive been told is that its VERY expensive!! I personally wouldn't choose it as my first destination to learn to ski simply for that fact, you aren't going to make the most out of your trip. Japanese people are also a very differnet culture the majority of them dont speak english so you might have language issues with your instructor which could hamper your learning...

Dont get me wrong through Im very jealous Japan is a fanstastic country and I dont want to dampen your holiday plans because i'm sure you would have a great holiday, I'm just pointing out some things to make sure you are aware of them.

Since you are planning to spend a couple of weeks at it (Do you mean two, three, four or...) a big resort might be better in some ways, first off you will have a better chance of getting a good snowboard english speaking instructor secondly even though you are beginning you will surprise yourself how much you will advance over that period of time and the more runs the better, you should ideally never run out of blue runs you can try.

Do you plan on buying all your gear before you go?
    Are you going to rent or buy a snowboard/boots etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

i agree with the previous reply in that japan is pretty pricey, even in the 'cheaper' areas.

and the powder is epic. you dont want to waste all that beautiful snow by being stuck on the baby hill with sore wrists and a pounding cocyx.

if i were you i would head somewhere in europe, learn how to ride there, and save japan for when you will be able to milk the hill for all it's worth.

Advertisement