Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right Need some advice ASAP

Options
  • 04-07-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I brought over my car from the Uk i was living in the uk for about a year and owned the car for about 8 months went into the VRT office today and got this Old **** anyway i had every single doc to prove i was living in uk etc and that i was moving back over here and he refused and said you cant bringin a car Vrt free car if you have family connections in the same place you are bringing the car into, I have never heard of that in my life and i was told by another guy on monday it was fine. He did give me a temp cert so i can drive my car on the road as i said if thats the case i will be moving back to the Uk.Is this true what he was telling me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

as far as I am aware it is complete rubbish what he is telling you. The guy is probably trying to probe a little further to make sure the import is legit !!

Stick to your guns, if you have everything in order and all is above board you will not be liable for VRT despite what an individual vindictive VRT officer will try to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ask him to show you the relative legislature / guidelines in writing.

I don't think he'll be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

he refused and said you cant bringin a car Vrt free car if you have family connections in the same place you are bringing the car into
    Ask to see this in writing. I've never heard of it either. If he can't show you the regulation then he can't enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Doesn't sound right. However, is it 6 months or 12 months you need to own the car abroad for before you have a VRT exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fey! wrote:
    Doesn't sound right. However, is it 6 months or 12 months you need to own the car abroad for before you have a VRT exemption?
    As far as I remember, it's 183 days, ie more than half of the year. It's been a while, though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

right can someone explain this to me http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/0/4a67591606e5263280256c44003a1f96?OpenDocument

What exactly does personal Ties mean.

I was working full time in Uk and only ever came back at christmas for 3 days

This is what is confusing me # if you were working abroad on a task of duration of less than one year and your personal ties remained in the State

Could this be the rule that he is talking about:

"YOU DO NOT QUALIFY

if you went to live abroad primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies
    if you were working abroad on a task of duration of less than one year and your personal ties remained in the State
    if you were working abroad on a task of duration of more than one year and you have been granted tax relief in respect of another vehicle in the previous 5 years. "

Yeah but what exactly does my "personal ties mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ that should not apply if the OP has been working abroad for more than 1 year.

Stephen wrote:
    ^^ that should not apply if the OP has been working abroad for more than 1 year.

But the OP said in his first post that he was abroad for 'about a year' !!!

Personal ties I would imagine are a subjective term and would mean a partner, family who you regularlly visited !! that is what the appeal process is for !!

• Advertisement

Yeah i have family in the state where i am bringin in the car but did not regularlly visit was over here once since i moved over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Yeah but what exactly does my "personal ties mean?

I think it means that if your working abroad, lets say for an Irish Based company and you are coming home every weekend or couple of weeks, and not fully based in the UK with UK bank accounts. Its a bit confusing to say the least, afterall every Irish emigrant has personal ties in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

personal ties = wife, children, house ?

If not, it's unreasonable to expect your grandparents and 3rd cousins once removed to follow you to the UK :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

No i worked in a UK Night Club i had a Uk bank acc, A Uk NI Number and only visiting once when living in the Uk. So really once i apply by filling in the forms i should be ok with regards to the VRT?

No i worked in a UK Night Club i had a Uk bank acc, A Uk NI Number and only visiting once when living in the Uk

can you prove to the VRO that you were a UK resident for more than 1 year?

No i was not living in the Uk for 1 or more years i lived there about approx 10month so i would fall under the 1 year cat but needed to find out what exactly it ment by personal ties.

No i was not living in the Uk for 1 or more years i lived there about approx 10month so i would fall under the 1 year cat but needed to find out what exactly it ment by personal ties.

I'm not been smart, but maybe you should have waited 2 months and 1 day before coming home for good.

Thats if your personal ties turns out to be wife/children/house

edit: just read your first thread again, that might be difficult considering you've already went into the VRO office and gave your /car details.

I still think that personal ties means that your returning to Ireland every non-working day, which you weren't, so i'd appeal it if they go ahead with charging you VRT

"Normal Residence means:

* if you had no occupational ties, the place where you usually lived for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of personal ties
    * if your occupational ties were in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you returned there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days). "

Yeah i will do that, Thanks for the Help people saved me a few bob if everything works out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Go to your local TD. He will be happy to make a "representation" on your behalf in return for a bit of arse-licking from you. AFAIK that's how its done in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Go to your local TD. He will be happy to make a "representation" on your behalf in return for a bit of arse-licking from you. AFAIK that's how its done in this country.

Thank God we've come a long way from those days. You can take an appeal against this decision here http://www.appealcommissioners.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You must have lived abroad for a minimum of one year. Sorry to tell you, but I think you are stuffed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I brought over my car from the Uk i was living in the uk for about a year and owned the car for about 8 months went into the VRT office today and got this Old **** anyway i had every single doc to prove i was living in uk etc and that i was moving back over here and he refused and said you cant bringin a car Vrt free car if you have family connections in the same place you are bringing the car into, I have never heard of that in my life and i was told by another guy on monday it was fine. He did give me a temp cert so i can drive my car on the road as i said if thats the case i will be moving back to the Uk.Is this true what he was telling me?

Do you still have your UK address? are you still registered for tax there? If so, wait a couple of months and goto a different VRO.

X.

Advertisement