Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transponder Keys

Options
  • 04-07-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Just an FYI for all of you. The transponder key off my Landcruiser was broken when I got it. It gradually detioriated and eventually snapped. I priced with my local locksmith to get a replacement. He was looking for €80 for a plain key with no remote CL. He had no key blanks for the transponder key. He told me that if I went to a Toyota dealer they would charge me €270 for the remote key.

Now the good bit. I found a key blank for €10 on eBay and brought it in to the locksmith. He charged me €7.50 to cut it. I just saved €252.50 :eek: :eek: :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who programmed the immobiliser in for you? and is the saving you mentioned like for like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

For the remote key the immobiliser programming is in the removable electronic module. You pop it out of the original and into the new. The key is impossible to tell from the old apart the plastic seems softer, scratches easier.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180131285491&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.ie%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D180131285491%26fvi%3D1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

oh right, gotya, so you swapped the innards with the old one.

Yep. You can buy the chipped keys too, apparently you can follow a procedure that tells the onboard computer to program the key? Saves you €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ballooba wrote:
    Yep. You can buy the chipped keys too, apparently you can follow a procedure that tells the onboard computer to program the key? Saves you €60.
    The procedure it involves turning the ignition on and off and opening the drivers door x number of times then switching the ignition on and off again.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    The procedure it involves turning the ignition on and off and opening the drivers door x number of times then switching the ignition on and off again.
    That's the one. Sounds pretty hairy, but must work.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

As regards Toyota's that procedure only works if you have a master key.

Most other makes require diagnostic equipment to code new keys.

I'm presuming my new key will be a master seeing as it has the module from the master and was cut from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The blade of the key, which you had cut, has nothing to do with master/slave.
    The transponder chip is either master or slave. Since you swapped an existing coded chip to the new key case then if it was the master before it still is.
    If you only have one key then I would suggest you get another and code it in. If you have a Toyota with no keys the best Toyota can do for you is supply a new ECU and keys. They can supply a new uncoded key but this would be no good without the master to start the coding process.
    The way it works is, a new ECU will self learn the first key it sees and accept it as the master.
    I have a method of resetting the old ECU to a virgin state so I can code a new master. Toyota will only sell you a new ECU etc. You would be amazed at the cost. Lexus is the same but the cost is even greater.

Advertisement