Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home brewing kits

• 04-07-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    We're situated in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford and our local 'home wine & beer making' suppliers shut down recently. My poor Dad is distraught as he's been making his own stuff for over 40 years (and very good it is too!). Does anyone know of another supplier not too far from Dungarvan, or a supplier based in Ireland who has a web site and does deliveries throughout Ireland?
    This is my first post on these boards so be kind..... :)
    Cheers,
    Nectarine
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

These guys from Limerick will deliver:
    http://www.thehomebrewcentre.com/

also, if wexford isn't too far to travel:
    http://www.wexbrew.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

That the place that used be on the quays with a sweetshop in it too? I'd guess most of that stuff was there since the day it opened!

If I'm not mistaken though wexbrew is temorarily closed cos he's moving.
    There's also Glengarrif Homebrew centre, not online but he drives over and back to his shop in the UK and delivers enroute free.
    There's also a new lad starting up in Laois soon.
    A lot of us use hop and grape in the UK,

try looking up some suppliers in www.irishcraftbrewer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hey Nectarine. I'm also a Dungarvan based home brewer.
    The two replies pretty much cover your options.
    www.thehomebrewcentre.com, now based in Clare, deliver for €10, and have some kits on the site. If you don't see what you want, just give them a ring. They can order in stuff.
    Bob from Glengarriff will post out a catalog if you give him a ring. The website is on the way, but he will post out any order. Also, as Ken said, he travels to the UK about once a month, along the N25, and drops off orders along the way, saving on postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nectarine

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Will look into all those web pages and I think I heard of Ken a few years ago but didn't know how to contact him.
    Cheers!
    Bernie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Per head of population Dungarvan must have the most home brewers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the dead, I've just found an old kit I'd packed away when we moved house and thought I'd refresh my memory before having at a brewing session. :D

I live in Dungarvan also and I like homebrew, must be something in the water (filthy stuff, never drink it myself you understand).

Nice to see Irish Craft Brewer has stayed going, and a few more groups are doing business on the net. "The Favourite" was only ok, and since it closed there's nowhere local to source ingredients.

I must search the house for whatever kit I still have, and see what needs replacing. The Home Brewing Company may be getting an order in later! Nice to see I'm not the only person interested in making beer locally.

Keep us posted on how you get on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Resurecting this thread again-
    My dad worked for a glass bottle company and used to make his own beer. Still have bits and pieces. Im looking at getting a 25l barrel and get myself up and running. Im a fan of the Wheat beers like Hoegarden but don't know which 'KIT' to go for. Any recommendations?
    So im guessing i need a 25l barrel, and siphon,sterilizers . Have the thermometers, cappers,bottles etc. Anything else? Had a look online but would trust fellow boards members opinions alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hi chicken food. You pretty much have what you need there. The only thing I would add is a hydrometer. Also some of the better kits get you to boil your wort, so if you have a big pot this would come in handy.

As for which kit, you really get what you pay for. Have a look at the kits on www.thehomebrewcompany.ie If you can get a 3Kg kit instead of a 1.5Kg kit, as they don't require you to top up with sugar.

I just had a quick look and Brewferm have a wheat kit, and also the JB Masterclass. Both have good reputations for kits, although I personally haven't tried either of the wheat beer kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I did the Brewferm Wheat (Tarwe) a few years ago and it was very tasty indeed.
    I found Brewferm kits to be all good, i made 5 of them IIRC.

• Advertisement

Hi chicken_food

If you go with the JB Masterclass I would also pick up a packet of Safale T-58 or Brewferm Wheat Yeast as these will give the Belgian phenols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

anyone have advice for me on making fizzy cider?Im only at the thinking stage here yet.:)

I Dunnes stores not from concentrate, preservative free apple juice works great for me, just add yeast and you done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

anyone have advice for me on making fizzy cider?Im only at the thinking stage here yet.:)

Well, have you brewed anything else before? Do you have all the equipment? If so, Turbo Cider is one of the easiest things to make (doesn't always turn out nice though!). Get a bucker/demijohn and get about 2.5-3L Tesco/Dunnes Apple juice in there and add some yeast. You can use any yeast to start, even bread (can taste a bit off) but I usually use wine yeast. Cover loosely or bung it (which ever you have) and let the fermentation start for a couple of days(at lease 2), then top the bucket/demijohn up to about 4.5L. I usually leave this for about 3-5 weeks and then bottle.

If you want to make from apples you're gonna need a lot of apples, a fruit press and the bucket/demijohn. You don't even need yeast! You might need to left this in primary for a few months though, Turbo Cider is quick and nasty!

azzeretti wrote: »
    If you want to make from apples you're gonna need a lot of apples,

Yep, around 20 pounds of apple per gallon of juice or so it a good rule of thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HomeBrew1

Hello All Home Brewers
    On-line Home Brew shop based in Waterford coming up soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hooray!

Keep us posted. HBC seems to be a tough act to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bestbrew

Hi all,
    Quick message to let you know that Best Brew (bestbrew.ie) is open for business. We have the only home brewing shop in Ireland and deliver nationwide. Visit us in Athlone on the Dublin Road to see new stock arriving on an ongoing basis or check out the website.

We offer advice and best range of products to suit the novice or brewer enthusiast. We think it makes a great gift and with Father's Day coming up on 20th June, you can pass the stress of getting that perfect gift on to us!

Have a look at our website and let us know any feedback so we can keep improving our service.

Thanks in advance for checking out the site and shop.
    Bestbrew.ie

Advertisement