Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie refused to give back slip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Well? Any update kelly4r?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

he has already paid for the inclusion of "George the Second" on his betslip. why would he want to pay again ?
    And he got his money back for that bet. If he wanted to, he could have written another docket in 10 seconds and put it on George II.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

And he got his money back for that bet. If he wanted to, he could have written another docket in 10 seconds and put it on George II.

Yeah but then he stood to lose his 600 euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If he did that it wouldn't be the same. This way he gets to see the race for free and gets 6k if the horse wins. If the horse does not win he still gets money from the other two horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

it wasnt an accumalator,......

he effectively paid for "george the second" in his "lucky 15 bet.

lucky 15 bet :
    4 selections,...... so 4 singles, 6 doubles, 4 trebles and 1 accumulator = 15 bets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

OK so clearly I don't know how a lucky 15 works...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

kellyr4 wrote:
    A friend of mine did a lucky 15 yesterday. First 2 horses won at 5/1 and 8/1 respectively. The 3rd horse backed was called George the Second. He had meant to back another horse in a different race called George Best, but he wrote George the Second on the slip by accident. Anyway George Best was beaten, so my mate handed in the slip to get paid out on the 2 winners from the lucky 15. However, the clerk took the slip and said George the Second hasnt run yet, as he was running in the 8.30 at Lingfield last night. This is when my mate realised he had written down George the Second instead of George Best by mistake. The clerk would not give him back the slip and gave him his winnings for the 2 horses that had won (approx 600 euro)

I happened to stumble across this thread accidentally. I work in a bookies and have to say that the bookie is completely in the wrong, but for another reason than you're all saying. One of the first things I was told when I started work was that if someone has a multiple bet and the first couple of things have won you NEVER EVER, under any circumstances pay out before the entire bet has come in. The bookie in question has done exactly that, paid for the first two horses when another horse hasn't yet run. Make sure he raises this point as it is highly against what most bookies are told to do.

Considering what I have said I have a feeling there's more to the story. Maybe a simple explanation, like the bookie edited the slip to replace George the Second with George Best. If this is the case, and it's the honest case because it's what your friend intended, your friend has received all his winnings and wouldn't get his slip back anyway. I dunno if your friend mentioned that he'd put the wrong horse down to the bookie but if he did this is probably what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 9th

kellyr4 wrote:
    The clerk would not give him back the slip and gave him his winnings for the 2 horses that had won (approx 600 euro)

Does he have a case to get paid his winnings?

How the hell did he even mange to get paid that. Surely all three horse have to win. Sound like your friend owes the bookies 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

9th wrote:
    How the hell did he even mange to get paid that. Surely all three horse have to win. Sound like your friend owes the bookies 600.
    No, he'd have a had a double and two singles to collect :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Any update on this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement