Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 04-07-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Bought a car last week from a private seller. He brought the car in from the UK so once the price was agreed (inc.VRT price)he said he would look after the VRT.
    My question is can he vrt it in my name? I do not want him to put his name on it as this will increase the number of owners.
    He has no problem sorting out the vrt as it is part of the deal but we are not sure if he can reg it in my name. Does any one know what the procedure for vet is?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He should be putting it in your name I think, I did with my own.

Did he take name, address etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He can VRT it in your name. I did it recently with a car for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

The seller can register the car in anyone's name but it would be best if you were there.

He can only put the new reg in another name as long as he is paying by bank draft and not personal cheque (personal cheques must have the owners PPS number on it).

I would strongly reccommend that you take a copy of the UK Log Book before you pay the VRT as they will keep the original and you will have difficulty selling the car on without the original documents. You will need to show as much history as you can to prove that the car isn't a ringer.

I would also suggest that you go onto the Revenue website to make sure that the cost of the VRT matches what the seller is charging you. Believe it or not....car dealers have been known to be dishonest from time to time. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

You need to give the pps number on the form ... did he ask you for this? What car was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

keefg wrote:
    The seller can register the car in anyone's name but it would be best if you were there.

He can only put the new reg in another name as long as he is paying by bank draft and not personal cheque (personal cheques must have the owners PPS number on it).

I would strongly reccommend that you take a copy of the UK Log Book before you pay the VRT as they will keep the original and you will have difficulty selling the car on without the original documents. You will need to show as much history as you can to prove that the car isn't a ringer.

I would also suggest that you go onto the Revenue website to make sure that the cost of the VRT matches what the seller is charging you. Believe it or not....car dealers have been known to be dishonest from time to time. :rolleyes:

Tbh this guy should give up selling cars. He is too honest. A reall genuine guy imo. He is not registered as a car dealer so hence the private sale. I have checked and the vrt charge is correct. I will also ask him to take a copy of the log book for me. He is very obliging. I am sure he also knows about paying in cash/draft as he mentioned he has vrt'd cars before just not in some one elses name.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Macca206 wrote:
    You need to give the pps number on the form ... did he ask you for this? What car was it?
    Thanks Macca206 just read your post I will also have to organise giving him my pps number. Maybe I should just go with him. It may be easier in the long run. The car is a BMW with a fsh. It all seems above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi OKGirl,

I hope that all goes well for you and the car is fine.

If this guy is telling you that he has registered cars for other people then in my mind he is a car dealer. He may not be registered or this may not be his main source of income but it sound like he brings in cars from the UK or NI for a bit of cash "on the side". I know loads of guys over here who do it.

Hi Keefg, well just got word and the car has been vrt'd in my name today. No problems and no pps number. It all depends on who you get on the day it seems. I do trust this guy as he told me his bro works in a main dealer garage in UK and occassionally sends a good one over to him solely for a bit of cash on the side. As I said he is not the Arthur Daly type. very honest and not as smooth as a dealer. A real gent. I will insist on collecting the car from his home just incase \i need to track him down. But doubt it. All I need to do now is get on to VRT office and ask for a copy of original log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was his name on the V5? As in, when he bought it, did he put his name in pen on the V5 as the 'new owner'?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

keefg wrote:
    I registered a motorbike imported from Brussels yesterday in Santry and they handed me back the "Pink Slip" saying, that's yours to keep........
    Macca206 wrote:
    No mention of PPS number on the form to register the bike.
    http://www.revenue.ie/forms/formvrt5.pdf

They just ask for PPS if you're a private and paying by personal cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is the PPS no a new thing?? I did not need mine last year

Advertisement