Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which interurban will win?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Bards

I refuse to vote because I firmly believe the WRC should be extended to Cape Clear instead
    From Irish Independent http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/big-5-way-ahead-of-schedule-1198357.html

'Big 5' way ahead of schedule
    Announced today: most carriageways upgraded to motorways within months of completion

THE "Big Five" routes linking Dublin and the main regional cities will be completed well ahead of schedule, it can be revealed today.

Some will be finished up to 19 months ahead of the 2010 schedule. And most dual carriageways along the routes will be upgraded to motorways within months.

A key move over the next 72 hours will mean 120km/h speed limits for those carriageways.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) will submit a detailed list of every stretch of dual carriageways to be upgraded to motorway status, Independent Motoring has learned. These are on the main arteries between Dublin and Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.

The move is designed to have consistent speed limits where motorists move seamlessly from high quality dual-carriageway to motorway and, frequently, back to dual carriageway.

The roads authority and the Government are concerned that developers are waiting in the wings to build huge commercial, retail and housing developments along dual carriageways.

By designating the carriageways as motorways, the NRA is taking a pre-emptive strike, as developers will be barred under law from building on or near them.

This will also cut the number of access points on to the dual carriageways, thereby reducing the risk of crashes involving merging or turning traffic.

One of the key criteria for the upgrade is that the dual carriageways cannot have crossing traffic or traffic lights, which will avoid head-on, or broadside crashes.

The dual carriageways being upgraded to motorways have been selected and the list will be sent to Transport Minister, Noel Dempsey, this week.

After the minister publishes them, there will be a month's public consulation to allow interested parties to air their views on the higher speed limit.

NRA sources also say they are on target to have much of the so-called "Big Five" inter-urban routes completed well ahead of the 2010 deadline.

In fact most of the projects are coming in well ahead of schedule, some up to 19 months early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

N9: Dublin - Waterford
    Well what are we waiting for? As soon as the list is out and the public consultation begins, time to make sure immediately that we all tell them to hurry up and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

N7: Dublin - Limerick
    Finally theres movement on this.

And I wouldnt say the interurbans will be done 'well in advance', some schemes are just starting, for instance the M7/8 spur near Portlaoise. Also, each of the N 6,7 and 8 has a section which hasnt started yet or is just about to start.

6 - Ballinasloe to Athlone
    7 - Around Nenagh somewhere, not sure but there is one on a go-slow
    8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy.

Edit: and they're not 'well in advance' assuming they were supposed to be finished originally by 1999 and then by 2006.

Edit2: This worries me a little

"The dual carriageways being upgraded to motorways have been selected and the list will be sent to Transport Minister, Noel Dempsey, this week.

After the minister publishes them, there will be a month's public consulation to allow interested parties to air their views on the higher speed limit."

How long will it be between Dempsey getting them and him publishing them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

On the N7, the only section not built or Under Construction is Castletown (really Borris-on-Ossery) to Nenagh. HQDC (hopefully will open as motorway if these moves progress).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

And I wouldnt say the interurbans will be done 'well in advance', some schemes are just starting, for instance the M7/8 spur near Portlaoise. Also, each of the N 6,7 and 8 has a section which hasnt started yet or is just about to start.

6 - Ballinasloe to Athlone
    7 - Around Nenagh somewhere, not sure but there is one on a go-slow
    8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy.

Edit: and they're not 'well in advance' assuming they were supposed to be finished originally by 1999 and then by 2006.
    N6 doesn't have any sections left to start.

Man, I don't think they were ever supposde to be finished by 1999! Who said that? There was a road building program from 1994-1999 but it only listed the crucial bypasses like Portlaoise, Balbriggan etc.

Yep the N6 (Ballinasloe - Athlone) has started they have already managed to find our water supply with a digger (no water for the day :().

Apart from that good progress on the Athlone slip road.

They have to go adjacent to the ESB sub-station so am expecting a power cut in the next few days.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Is the Athlone Bypass getting any kind of modernisation? It's not that bad, being grade-separated, but I seem to remember the junctions being a bit low standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doesn't look like it. The NRA website says that the two adjacent schemes: N6 Athlone-Ballinasloe and Kinnegad-Athlone, both tie into the existing bypass.

Zoney wrote: »
    Is the Athlone Bypass getting any kind of modernisation? It's not that bad, being grade-separated, but I seem to remember the junctions being a bit low standard.

As far as I can tell, the only junction being improved as part of the project is the Tuam Rd junction as the old N6 will be re-routed via it.

The other junctions are the responsibility of the local council, have heard of plans to install lights at some of them(hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Stark wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. The NRA website says that the two adjacent schemes: N6 Athlone-Ballinasloe and Kinnegad-Athlone, both tie into the existing bypass.
    It's true that no scheme is listed on the NRA's site for this, but it would pretty much be essential if the whole N6 is to be made into a motorway, which it now seems is going to happen.

I'd say the Athlone bypass would be up to motorway standard, no?

Even if it was built as standard DC the curves would be ok I'd say. Only been on it once (on a bus) but it looked fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My bet is they upgrade the roads either side to "M" status and leave the bypass itself as an N road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Any word on when the Carlow bypass section of the N9 will be finished? I passed under it on the train and it looks like tarmac has been laid already. The NRA site says Q4 2008, but given what I saw, I can't believe it will take a whole year more to finish it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd say the Athlone bypass would be up to motorway standard, no?

Even if it was built as standard DC the curves would be ok I'd say. Only been on it once (on a bus) but it looked fine then.

Not quite motorway standard. Biggest problem is the presence of at least one LILO, as well as this the GSJs have shorter slip roads than typical motorway ones. The sheer amount of junctions though in such a short space though is a problem, there are 6 of them if I recall correctly. Last time I checked there were no private accesses.

Excuse my ignorance, but whats a LILO in relation to roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Left in, Left out. In countries driving on the other side of the road, it is a RIRO (right in, right out). It's a restricted junction, as the minor road only has access to/from one direction of the major route. LILOs may or may not have acceleration/deceleration lanes.

A compact grade-separated junction often consists of two LILOs joined by a flyover, rather than being a proper GSJ.

I don't think there are any single LILO's on that section of road. A couple of compact GSJ's (one of which goes via a small side street with houses on it)

The Tuam junction is the worst (2 x LILO & short access lanes), but this is being rebuilt as part of the project.

Thanks zoney I now know what a LILO is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

Ah who cares.
    fricatus wrote: »
    Any word on when the Carlow bypass section of the N9 will be finished? I passed under it on the train and it looks like tarmac has been laid already. The NRA site says Q4 2008, but given what I saw, I can't believe it will take a whole year more to finish it.

I heard somebody talking on the radio about two months ago. He was working on the project, and was adamant it would open February at the latest.....

nordydan wrote: »
    I heard somebody talking on the radio about two months ago. He was working on the project, and was adamant it would open February at the latest.....
    It's quite possible. The NRA have brought the time taken to build a major road down from 2.5 - 3 years in the past to 2 years or less now. For example, Cashel-Mitchelstown started in May 2006, and the Cashel-Cahir section opened this month - that's only 17 months.

nordydan wrote: »
    spacetweek wrote: »
    It's quite possible. The NRA have brought the time taken to build a major road down from 2.5 - 3 years in the past to 2 years or less now. For example, Cashel-Mitchelstown started in May 2006, and the Cashel-Cahir section opened this month - that's only 17 months.

I'm never slow about complaining about things that don't work in this country, but in fairness to them, the NRA's delivery of new roads is becoming seriously impressive.

I drove past a sign that was put up lately near Ballyhale (KK) stating that the Knocktopher-Waterford section of the N9 was due to open in Spring 2009.

And I know the N25 Waterford bypass isn't one of the interurbans, but it does include the final 2 km of the N9 just north of the city, as well as the N25 bypass, so I'll mention it: there's a couple of big advertising hoardings in the area depicting a maze, with a big A-B straight line across it (maybe someone has a picture...), promising a 2009 opening date for that project too.

• Advertisement

I'm never slow about complaining about things that don't work in this country, but in fairness to them, the NRA's delivery of new roads is becoming seriously impressive.

Agreed. Although the roads are well behind their original 2006 completion, that was the governments fault.

NRA has really got its act together and is getting 30-40km builds done in 18 months. Thats very good going, and fair play to them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that the contractor may be on site well before the contract signing date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

NRA has really got its act together and is getting 30-40km builds done in 18 months. Thats very good going, and fair play to them for it.

In Hitlers Germany, there were 17,000 kms of autobahn built between 1933 and 1939 !!
    Agreed though re NRA.
    Anyone got an opening date for the Kilbeggan to Athlone section - (14 of 17 major structures 100% completed as far as i can see) ? Also i see the Dublin end of the Athlone by-pass has been re-routed on to a section of this where you now drive over one of the flyovers to get back down to the rounadabout at the Dublin end - obviously only a temporary measure until the section is open.

Also, re Athlone by-pass being upgraded to motorway status - i can't see it happening as the turn on on the immediate east side of the bridge would be too sharp and thus dangerous for travelling at 120km. The big mistake was that the motorway wasn't built on the south side of Athlone (to the south of Golden Island for those that know it) which as the bird flies would have made far more sense knocking at least another km or 2 off the Galway to Dublin journey. In addition, with a little bit more work, Athlone could have had a complete dual carriageway or motorway ringroad (the existing 8km by-pass is in C shape) meaning it could have acted as the major central hub in the country for future development. I guess the horse has bolted on that one !!

blast05 wrote: »
    In Hitlers Germany, there were 17,000 kms of autobahn built between 1933 and 1939 !!

They couldn't have, they only have 12,200 km today! See here

Part of it says and I quote:

Development of the overall length (at the end of):
    1935 - 108 km
    1936 - 1 086 km
    1937 - 2 010 km
    1938 - 3 046 km
    1939 - 3 300 km
    1940 - 3 736 km

2005- 11.974 km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As i said before hopefully they will start on the "Atlantic Road" once the interurbans are complete.

If I'm not mistaken, Crusheen-Gort of the N18 will start in Summer 2008 and Gort - Athenry in Summer 2009. Archaeology etc is being done at the moment, or soon. This was the plan after the opening of the Ennis Bypass, they said that they were going to push these sections ahead. Hopefully it will happen.

N20 will be after the interurbans (Cork - Limerick), but I know the NRA are pushing for the Mallow - Croom section to be started sooner, although the government are having none of it.

Just keeping an eye on the NRA website and what projects are in construction and what ones still have bits at tender, this is my educated guesswork on what will happen.

N6 first (all under construction and have been for about 5 months)
    N8 second (all under construction since Dec 07)
    N7 third (Castletown - Nenagh still at tender)
    N9 last (two sections at tender)

Agree/disagree?

Since the N18 schemes are going to construction in Q4 2008 apparently, is there an outside chance that the N18 will be finished before the N9???

And noone mention the m1 being complete :D That road goes to Belfast as far as I'm concerned so it doesnt count as being done till its DC/motorway ALL THE WAY TO BELFAST ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,938 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres like 4 miles of S2 left on the A1 corridor and the plans for its dualing were up on here or SABRE recently. Part retrofit (cut another carraigeway bside the S2, paint the S2 as if its half a DC) part new road.

But a lot of it is very, very low quality DC...

And theres a ton of roundabouts along the route IIRC, so it still doesnt count :D

Agree/disagree?

Since the N18 schemes are going to construction in Q4 2008 apparently, is there an outside chance that the N18 will be finished before the N9???

I've seen posts on Boards to the effect that both sections of the N9 currently at tender stage are due to commence construction sometime in March.

Maybe someone else can fill us in on remaining N7 section that's at tender stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Just keeping an eye on the NRA website and what projects are in construction and what ones still have bits at tender, this is my educated guesswork on what will happen.

N6 first (all under construction and have been for about 5 months)
    N8 second (all under construction since Dec 07)
    N7 third (Castletown - Nenagh still at tender)

Agree/disagree?

And noone mention the m1 being complete :D That road goes to Belfast as far as I'm concerned so it doesnt count as being done till its DC/motorway ALL THE WAY TO BELFAST ;)

I predicted earlier in this thread that the N6 would be the first completed and I'd agree with your list. At long last we are starting to enter the modern world in terms of roads. We're not there yet, but we're getting there. ****e, thats the other lot.:D

As for the A1? Its a piss poor road altogether, even with the recent upgrades. On a side note, NI roads are in bits in a lot of areas. For example, took the N53 from Dundalk to Castleblaney today and the Norn-iron section is a deathtrap.As a kid it used to look like carpet. Don't think theyve touched it since it was first built. Later on I was heading up the R181 from Castleblaney to Keady. Again the Norths section is dodgey with potholes that you could get lost in. Its all changed very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As for the A1? Its a piss poor road altogether, even with the recent upgrades.

the section under construction now, Newry bypass upgrade, is HQDC.
    Don't think theyve touched it since it was first built.

you should have seen it before it was widened in the 1950s! :)

DWCommuter wrote: »
    As for the A1? Its a piss poor road altogether, even with the recent upgrades.

There's a really scary bit somewhere north of Banbridge, where a side road joins the main road. People tear out of nowhere onto it - from behind a hedge or trees, and it looks like they won't stop. I instinctively hit the brakes there one night when someone came flying out, ABS went mad, big adrenaline hit. Good thing there was nothing behind me! So much for UK roads engineering - that's more alarming than anything I've ever seen south of the border - and I drive Waterford-KK daily!

ardmacha wrote: »
    the section under construction now, Newry bypass upgrade, is HQDC.

you should have seen it before it was widened in the 1950s! :)

Yeah Ive seen the work goin on around Newry. But the medians further out need sorting.

As for the N53 Northern Ireland section, my memory was great road in Northern Ireland and absolute disaster either side of that. These days its different. Why has the norths roads failed to keep up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Flyovers are being being built on the A1 and all of the medians from Loughbrickland northwards will be closed. However there is still the new "improved" bit from Newry to Loughbrickland.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a1gsjloughbrickland.html
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a1gsjdromoreroadhillsborough.html
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a1banbridgeroaddromore.html
    As for the N53 Northern Ireland section, my memory was great road in Northern Ireland and absolute disaster either side of that. These days its different.

While the N53 has been resurfaced, especially in Louth, it hasn't been significantly widened and is still poor.

ardmacha wrote: »
    While the N53 has been resurfaced, especially in Louth, it hasn't been significantly widened and is still poor.

Agreed. But better on the Monaghan side.

There's a really scary bit somewhere north of Banbridge, where a side road joins the main road. People tear out of nowhere onto it - from behind a hedge or trees, and it looks like they won't stop. I instinctively hit the brakes there one night when someone came flying out, ABS went mad, big adrenaline hit. Good thing there was nothing behind me! So much for UK roads engineering - that's more alarming than anything I've ever seen south of the border - and I drive Waterford-KK daily!

Isn't that the exit from the big retail park/outlet mall thing there? Terribly laid out, tiny exit lanes, its virtually a standard turn off yet its coming out on to a 70mph road...

MYOB wrote: »
    Isn't that the exit from the big retail park/outlet mall thing there? Terribly laid out, tiny exit lanes, its virtually a standard turn off yet its coming out on to a 70mph road...

No, this one is as you head northbound, somewhere after Banbridge, but well before Hillsborough and Sprucefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Anyone changing their prediction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

N8: Dublin - Cork
    No Im still sticking with Limerick as there's huge progress being made. In saying that I drove down to Cork yesterday and I wouldnt be all that suprised if there's is done 1st.

Don't know anything about the Galway route though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The last section of the M8 will be the Portlaoise to Culahill section.

If this is also the last section of the M7 then we'll have a dead heat ?

The last section of the M8 will be the Portlaoise to Culahill section.

If this is also the last section of the M7 then we'll have a dead heat ?

That could be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

N8: Dublin - Cork
    jank wrote: »
    That could be true.
    Opening the 2 at once, now that would be good publicity.

If that is the case then whoever has the other parts done first should be the winner:D

True :D I made the rules so thats what happens.

Still looking like N6, then N8, 7 and finally 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The decision to convert every road from Dublin to every two horse town in Ireland into a motorway has been very wasteful. It's a symptom of constituency-based politics as opposed to politics with the national interest at heart.

With a bit of cop on the Waterford and Cork routes could have been combined, and the Galway and Limerick routes combined as well. Then we'd only have had to build half as much. The money saved could have been easily used to build a Cork-Limerick-Galway motorway and suddenly you're talking about an integrated and useful motorway network, as opposed to a load of roads leading to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Does anybody know when this was built? It's a part of the N9 near Moone.

It's a fine piece of road, now to be made completely empty by the M9.

Some planning...

Does anybody know when this was built? It's a part of the N9 near Moone.

It's a fine piece of road, now to be made completely empty by the M9.

Some planning...

1999/2000.

The N4 'bypass' of Enfield was far shorter lived. 11 million quids, opened 2002, motorway past it opened 2005. Arguably it still has its uses as lots of traffic avoids the motorway.

Swords, Balbriggan, Dundalk are all also dual-bypassed, Carrick On Shannon will be eventually, and so on. It happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Cahir will be dual bypassed on Friday.

Dungarvan will be eventually too.

Mitchelstown too, or is the motorway stopping short of it? Will be in the end anyway

edit: checked nra.ie, motorway stops short - but it eventually will have a bypass to both sides!

• Advertisement
Advertisement