Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which interurban will win?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

N7: Dublin - Limerick
    Croom bypass may suffer the same fate. So might bits of the Youghal bypass.

In other countries thats because the original bypasses filled up, in Ireland its because of idiotic planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

N9: Dublin - Waterford
    MYOB wrote: »
    Mitchelstown too, or is the motorway stopping short of it? Will be in the end anyway

edit: checked nra.ie, motorway stops short - but it eventually will have a bypass to both sides!

You can't really call the relief road a bypass.

Its just that its acting as a bypass until the full motorway one opens. Its design is primarily to take traffic out of the town heading on one of the regional roads going west and north out of the town.

On the other hand, the old Cahir bypass was just that, a bypass.

Whats the story about the youghal bypass ? Surely there's plenty of room to upgrade to 2+2 or even dual carriageway if needs be.

No idea, all that I know is that the Midleton - Youghal scheme will end at the Waterford side of the bypass. No idea if they'll upgrade or replace or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

surely they don't need a dualler between midleton and youghal? a decent road/upgrade yeah, but dualler?

the youghal bypass is one of the finest bits of road in ireland, only built five years ago, if that is to be made obsolete... well, the mind boggles.

the mitchelstown relief road is a property development racket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I'm refusing to accept defeat here:D,
    Galway has not built the outer bypass, so really the motorway to Galway city is not complete!:D

Admit it, you got it wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Does anyone drive the new M6 on a regular basis and how do you stay awake? Very monotonous piece of motorway, I now understand the term "highway hypnosis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

DerekP11 wrote: »
    I fancy the N6 to Galway/Dublin (depending on where you live of course).

Only one section on a go slow. Thats between Ballinasloe and Athlone. Every other section is on the move.

Well Im claiming victory anyway.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

.I was looking for this thread during the week.

So how many people voted for Galway since the thread was bumped? :)

close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll close the poll

I saw it straight after it was bumped and it hasnt been raped too much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Does anyone drive the new M6 on a regular basis and how do you stay awake? Very monotonous piece of motorway, I now understand the term "highway hypnosis"

The more recent stretches of road are intentionally bendy to keep some amount of driver involvement. the original M4 has only 5* bends from Kilcock to the Dublin end. This is far worse for driver fatigue.

* well I dunno how many, but the road has several dead straight stretches and a bend followed by another long straight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Took me a while to find this thread :(

It was clear to me back in 2007 that the M6 would be finished first.

If you consider the Galway Bypass to be part of it, which I don't, then I reckon the M8 might be the first to finish. The M9 will be the very end of the year before it finishes, and the M7 seems to be mired in a bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

summer for the m9 methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

spacetweek wrote: »
    Took me a while to find this thread :(

It was clear to me back in 2007 that the M6 would be finished first.

If you consider the Galway Bypass to be part of it, which I don't, then I reckon the M8 might be the first to finish. The M9 will be the very end of the year before it finishes, and the M7 seems to be mired in a bog.

I don't know for sure if the new N6DC ending at the rab in Douiskea is in Galway city or not but the Galway clinic rab is in Galway city, so there is definitely hqdc to Galway city so the road is finished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I don't know for sure if the new N6DC ending at the rab in Douiskea is in Galway city or not but the Galway clinic rab is in Galway city, so there is definitely hqdc to Galway city so the road is finished.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear above.

Of course the M6 is complete. I meant to say the M8 will be the next to finish, not the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

RAB is well within the city boundary, here's the map from the proposed 2011-2017 development plan:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/Publications/DraftDevelopmentPlan2011-2017Publications/FileEnglish,6483,en.pdf

Advertisement