Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in South Dublin?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all,

It looks like my move's finally on and I start a job mid August. I'll be moving over with the wife and three young kids (<4yrs). My dillemma is finding an area to live. My brother in-law used to live in Churchtown which was nice, but he's moved to Stepaside now. The things I need to consider:

- I will need some way of getting into the centre of town, so being near LUAS is probably preferable. I'll be working there half the week.
    - The other half I'll be in Citywest, and probably drive, so somewhere that's easy in terms of that would be great.
    - My wife doesn't drive, so she'll need to be walking distance from shops and perhaps a playground, so that she can pop out.
    - I'd like to be <15mins drive from Clonskeagh if possible.

Now the areas I'm considering are Churchtown or Dundrum, perhaps Goatstown and Rathfarnham. I'm guessing South West is my only choice for ease of travel between Centre and Citywest. Is there anywhere I'm leaving off? I realise that I'm looking at a hefty ~€1800 per month for a three bed, but I suppose it's got to be done. Main things I can't find out for myself, is small local shopping arcades, parks/playgrounds, etc..

I'm coming over on around the 16th of this month to find a property so any other related advice would be ace! What do I need to bring, how quickly will it all be sorted? Also, are contracts usually 12 months with a 6 month escape clause?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Dundrum/Balally/Ballinteer would be good as close to the Luas and within easy access of the M50. Currently renting 3 bed beside Dundrum town centre for €1800/month but lease is nearly up and expect the price to do the same by all accounts. Some estate agents will do a 12 month lease with a 6 month break clause if you ask but usually not or else its a property they are finding hard to rent.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

usually it is 12 months, places come furnished. 3 beds are generally hard to fine as there are so few of them. I would say around dundrum would be best for you. very close to clonskeagh. not too far from the m50 for getting to citywest and beside the luas for town. I'm in sandyford myself which is similar but where I am is a bit far from the luas (closer to stepaside). However driving wise it is fine for citywest.

I'd post a few likely places on here and let people advise you on local amenities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

References, proof of identification and a deposit will be needed. Last poster probably picked best area in terms of ease of travel to and from city centre. Also relatively easy access to the M50 from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Saracen

Thanks all,

I'm now probably set on Dundrum or Clonskeagh, the greatest preference being near the Windy Arbour Luas. I was trying to get an idea of parks in the area, but practically every green space in Dublin is a golf course, what gives? :confused:

Any word on how much I'd expect to pay for bills per month for a 3 bed house? Is there such a thing as Council Tax in Ireland (pays for services like refuse collection, street cleaning, etc.) I've got to work out whether €1800 is too much when considered beside the other costs of living.

Thanks again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats not true at all, golf courses tend to be shown on the maps better though is that why you think that? near clonskeagh there is UCD which has a lot of open areas, herbert part in donnybrook, deerpark in stillorgan and airfield farm (although it's not free). There are also various linear parks along the dodder. You should look at at the satellite photos for a better idea.

Hard to say on the bills, it depends on how frugal you are, there is no council tax, but you pay bin charges. phone/broadband ~ 50-100, electricity and gas ~ 200, tv ~ 40. it all depends on how much you will use things, what time of year, how careful you are with power/heating usage etc etc and what packages you go for on the phone/tv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't forget Marlay Park & St Enda's Park for playgrounds too. The Marlay one has recently been moved to a location that is a bit of a walk away from the car park.

Advertisement