Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for South Kerry

Options
  • 04-07-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks,
    I'm looking for a broadband connection for my parents living and working most of the year down in South Kerry (very south, an island in fact...)

Given the remoteness of the house it's too far from a DSL enabled exchange. I *think* it's on Cahirciveen exchange and I'm fairly sure that's enabled. Fails bb test on Eircom and BT site anyway.

I'm thinking of suggesting a 3 datacard and Huawei E220.

Looks good for the price (€129 for the card and €19.99 per month) but what's the service like?

I've had a look at the map on the site and it *looks* covered but their site doesn't seem to... work (get an Apache Tomcat error) and I can't zoom in on the map to see.

The actual product page doesn't seem to explain much either...

http://store.3ireland.ie/priceplan.aspx?pid=154&loc=PP&catid=1.0

Does this say it's €19.99 for a 10GB limit and €39.99 for a 3GB limit? Something up there...

Anyway, is it a viable alternative to DSL? Reliable and quick?

I'm not expecting a full 2Meg connection or anything here but something better than dial up anyway...

If 3 isn't the way can anyone suggest anything else?

It's Valentia Island by the way.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

looks like a possible goer, yes, you get a max 14 day trial period including the day you take the contract out

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Theres a lad down there that has a small wireless network, running links running from Caherciveen to Valentia, I'll dig up his name and number and pm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dolanp

Xennon wrote:
    Theres a lad down there that has a small wireless network, running links running from Caherciveen to Valentia, I'll dig up his name and number and pm you.

We here at Kerry Broadband have service in the south Kerry area including valentia and Cahersiveen.
    If you wish to contact us then please ring the office at 0667194465 and we would be glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Howre ya head, Wouldn't happen to be out around ballinskelligs would you??

Advertisement