Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

It says here there are August repeats, we've been told there aren't any... WTF?

http://www.ucd.ie/exams/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

There are August repeats for some courses.
    But it's the summer and I'm not putting my union hat back on until September so someone else will have to go to the bother of knowing/rememberingwhich courses they are.
    But if you were told that August repeats were abolished for your course than they almost certainly have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Whats the story with progression for us first years?

On one hand, it says that if you fail more than 2 modules of 12, you've to repeat the year....

But if the repeats for the summer exams in first year run concurrently with the christmas exams for second year, how can they calculate progression... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Vet has repeats in August. That's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ok well basically for the majority of cases there aren't August repeats. Generally when certain modules are pre-resiquites for modules the following semester there may be august repeats. Like bar 1 of my core modules, they are all pre resiquites for semester 1 so there will be August repeats. I know vet have a similar setup, but I haven't heard anything from courses that aren't kinda heallthcare related, and this is because you can't do placements without passing certain modules.

As for progression, you can only carry 2 onto the following year, but (it's a bit confusing) if say you failed 3 Arts level 2 modules, you can still take SOME final Arts modules, but you can't progress to Stage 3, ie officially you're still in second year.

Best bet for everyone is to contact their programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

jimi_t wrote:
    Whats the story with progression for us first years?

On one hand, it says that if you fail more than 2 modules of 12, you've to repeat the year....

But if the repeats for the summer exams in first year run concurrently with the christmas exams for second year, how can they calculate progression... :confused:
    I'm actually as confused as you and I think I've looked up everything on the UCD site about progression about 20 times know and I'm none the clearer

I do suspect the example you have outlined may be true though, if it is, it's unfair on students. Every student deserves the right to repeat an exam they failed no matter how many they failed without having to repeat an unnecessary year. That was the way it was before semesterisation and modularisation came in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Is there any repeats for commerce final yr students/ Hope someone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

drdre wrote:
    Is there any repeats for commerce final yr students/ Hope someone can help.

Yeah there are at Christmas, probably capped though...

I do suspect the example you have outlined may be true though, if it is, it's unfair on students. Every student deserves the right to repeat an exam they failed no matter how many they failed without having to repeat an unnecessary year. That was the way it was before semesterisation and modularisation came in.

It looks to be that way.

Really shows a good system at work when students can fail every module in semester 1, repeat them at summer and proceed to second year - whereas the students who fail 2+ in semester 2 have to waste a couple of grand and another year of their life.

Just another example of how I made the biggest mistake of my life putting UCD as first choice over just about any other 3rd level institution in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

dajaffa wrote:

Ok i have to do afew.Does capped mean i can only get 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

There are commerce final year repeats, they are in december.
    They are not capped.
    They cost €100 per subject.

PS just out of curiosity what subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dajaffa wrote:

Nope, the final year Quinn students are traditional students which means we're not capped.
    Also, FYI, if you got very near 40% (but passed) and are unhappy, you can appeal to fail, then repeat it and get an uncapped grade which you do at Xmas without the pressure. Some people in my class did this. Clever!

trad students in some courses were capped. Thats interesting about appealing to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

jimi_t wrote:
    Really shows a good system at work when students can fail every module in semester 1, repeat them at summer and proceed to second year - whereas the students who fail 2+ in semester 2 have to waste a couple of grand and another year of their life.

Just another example of how I made the biggest mistake of my life putting UCD as first choice over just about any other 3rd level institution in the country.

Ha! I'm one of the students who failed every semester 1 module. I hadn't a clue about the Horizons sh1t and how it worked until I started in UCD. I've I'd know all about it (and have had known what I wanted to study), and the changes we've had to go through I would have definitely chosen another institution. It really just seems like were the guinea pigs and things are being chopped and changed as mistakes and 'bumps in the road' are noticed.
    Now I can only pray that after all the solid hours study I put in during semester 2 that I won't have to waste another year of my life, and pay for it too.

Can someone please confirm whether or not 1st Arts students are able to repeat summer exams, and what the story with progression to 2nd year is in relation to that.

jimi_t, 1st year Arts students can repeat their failed summer exams at the next exam sitting which is next December unless any particular module is a necessity for entering the next stage of the course which may see that particular module been repeated in August.

I *think* if you have failed just 2 modules from 1st year you can progress to 2nd year while repeating those modules or just the module exam next December

if you have failed more than 2 modules that's where I don't have any sweet F.A. of a notion what happens, i don't think UCDs admin does either, you may have to repeat the year by doing your failed modules again.... nothing concrete, just ring UCD and annoy them until they give you a definitive answer
    jimi_t wrote:
    Aye its poxy alright, just think about final year students too under the new system. If they fail a module in the summer exams of their final year they'll probably have to repeat it AFTER the graduation dates, AFTER the timeframe for aquiring a job and applying for post-graduate courses wasting anything from 6 to 12 months of their life

UCD URGENTLY have to do a mass mailing on all this to all students to explicitly explain and state all the scenarios of the new system with regards to progression. The thing is they're just winging it as they go along under S&M, it's a fcuking mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

just think about final year students too under the new system. If they fail a module in the summer exams of their final year they'll probably have to repeat it AFTER the graduation dates, AFTER the timeframe for aquiring a job and applying for post-graduate courses wasting anything from 6 to 12 months of their life

Compared to the way it was in the past for most courses that's not too bad. More often than not you didn't have a chance to repeat and only got a pass degree.

I do agree that postponing your life for months is ridiculous (if you miss your exams due to extenuating circumstances).

Answer your phones UCD....:mad:

It's killing me. Across the year I have 3 E grades and one F. My GPA was still 2.25 for the two semesters so I thought that I could compensate two, guaranteeing progression, and bring the other two Fail grades on into next year.

(OT, but UCD have given me a thirteenth module on my transcript by accident - and a fail grade just for the laugh. Nice one.)

Then I see the bit where it says "If you have passed 75% of your modules..." in the compensation pre-requisite. So now if I don't have the provision of repeating just one module, thats interrailing and a year of my life out the window with the savings paying off another year of diabolical administration...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

If you fail more than 75% of the year you cannot compensate even with a GPA of 2.0 or greater, as you have 4 fails you can't compensate I'm afraid.

If you appealed one of your E grades and got a D- your other two Es would be compensatable thus you'd carry only one module next year.

(Edit: sorry I see you already know this)

Sarn wrote:
    I do agree that postponing your life for months is ridiculous (if you miss your exams due to extenuating circumstances).

Im in that situation, missed 3 finals due to tonsillitis. But Im happier to do my exams in December than August, because it leaves me with a nice long summer :)

Sarn wrote:
    If you appealed one of your E grades and got a D- your other two Es would be compensatable thus you'd carry only one module next year.

Or if, like every other year since the college opened bar this one, I was able to repeat one of my exams I'd be fine.

But now, thanks to Horizons, I've either the slim possibility of appealing and getting upgraded, or simply resigning myself to my summer being ruined, my 2 grand savings or therabouts being wiped out, and another year of my life gone to a college that I don't even like anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm confused. I failed two in semester 1 and repeated them in semester 2. I failed 2 exams in semester 2, 1 of them being one of the ones from semester 1. Can I carry forward those two exams? Do I have to repeat the year?

I'm confused. I failed two in semester 1 and repeated them in semester 2. I failed 2 exams in semester 2, 1 of them being one of the ones from semester 1. Can I carry forward those two exams? Do I have to repeat the year?

I know that if I fail a repeat Ive to reattend classes, Im a modular student (though pre horizons), but not in your college. Id check, but there is a good chance you're fcked

Looks like you have passed 10 out of 12 modules for the year so you can progress to the next year with repeating your failed modules on top of what your semester 1 modules in the next stage.

with the exam you failed twice, you will have to repeat a module with attendance and pay a fee as a result.
    if it is a core module, you're stuck with repeating it from scratch again; if it is an option module from one of your subjects you can repeat it again or choose another option module from that subject; if it is an elective module you've got free choice to take up a new module from anywhere around the college
    whatever happens you'll have to pay a fee - look here http://www.ucd.ie/exams/html/generalinfo/progressionguidev4.pdf - go to pages 13 and 14 - one of those fees will apply to you, probably the one on page 13

with the exam you've failed once, you just repeat the assessment in December - €100 fee it was in 06/07

Just phone the programme office and your department because various circumstances may come into play resulting in difficulties (such as timetable clashing, if he failed module is essential for the next stage) in repeating those modules in this way BUT going by what i've read I'm confident you can progress to the next year.

Advertisement