Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Advice

Options
  • 04-07-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Anyone enquiring about what to do with overhanging branches etc. The position is as follows: Branches are treated similar to roots ie, if they encroach on your property you are within your legal rights to remove any offending branches and/or roots as far back as the boundary line. The boundary line can and does vary, but typically it is the centreline of boundary fence/wall.

Obviously before removing branches/roots, one should familiarise oneself with the type of offending tree etc and to understand what if any will be the tree's response to root and/or branch removal.

In most cases neighbours are better advised to discuss individual needs/requests before embarking on any unilateral (albeit legally entitlted) action/behaviour.

There is no legal right to sun and/light and I would always suggest people consider neighbouring sites before deciding on which trees to plant as often poorly positioned trees can lead to endless dispute and years of poor neighbourly spirits.

In the UK because of it has been responsible for so much diputes, attacks and even deaths between neighbours, the UK authorities have rightly banned the planting of the ubiqutous conifer 'leylandii'. If only they would follow suit here!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i don't know about Irish law in this case but i m moving in my new property in next two weeks and i have seen couple of problems caused by tree even property damages by roots so i m not going to plant any tree at all.
    i m just thinking to have some grass and few small plants and if my neighbours do this i will try to explain them about problems we both can get....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sorry, legal advice cannot be given out on the forums.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement