Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing AIB Customer - Need to open Account in NI

Options
  • 04-07-2007 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hello together,

I am moving up north very soon, but will stay employed in the Republic. My salary will continue be paid into my Irish Acccount, which has been with AIB for more then 6 years.

Do you know if AIB in Dublin can open a Bank Account for me at First Trust in Northern Ireland? Anyone done that?

Or does anyone else know how to open a NI account, and what Informations are to bring?

Cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

AFAIK opening an account in N.I. is the same as opening an account in mainland U.K.

Therefore you'll need an address in N.I. and the usual photo-id and utility bills.

AIB in Ireland and First Trust in the UK operate as seperate entities, so I doubt your branch in Dublin could help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

AFAIK opening an account in N.I. is the same as opening an account in mainland U.K.

Therefore you'll need an address in N.I. and the usual photo-id and utility bills.

AIB in Ireland and First Trust in the UK operate as seperate entities, so I doubt your branch in Dublin could help you.

I'd ask them. When I moved the other way, Ulster Bank in NI helped me open an account in the Republic. I didn't have an address in the Republic at the time, so I used my NI address. It was all fine.

You could contact them. Unfortunately I can't find a non special rate number for you to contact them on. There is a freephone number - 0800 328 0041, which may work from the Republic as 0044 800 328 0041 although it wouldn't be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pretty certain AIB doesn't do the same.

However, OP - if you are living in the North, you'll have bills etc at your NI address. That + passport should mean that you should be able to open an account yourself with very little trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Thanks for the input.

I haven't gotten a bill yet, that's the problem. As I have no credit history yet everyone (rent, BT, Sky) requires to be paid by DD. Some of them would take deposits, but only from UK Card. :rolleyes:

The only thing I got so far is the signed lease. Will see what I can do tomorrow morning. Might ask estate agent to send me a letter to my new adress and to state the validity of the lease etc.

Lot of UK online shops only accept UK Debit and Credit Cards. So my Irish ones are of not much use. And I will have to transfer money over from my Irish Account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Normally a lease agreement and letter from the agency would be enough, epsecially in the case of a new tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Go to your bank and explain your situation. There is nothing to stop you opening an account in NI if you have a current address in the Republic and changing the address later.

A letter from your employer explaining the scenario will help also.

Bank of Ireland definetly can help, they have done this for me in the past.

Advertisement