Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math and Physics books

Options
  • 04-07-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

I will be repeating Maths and Physics (Higher) as a mature student next year so I'm currently self-studying those subjects.

To help me with that I was wondering what books you used in class, since this is probably a good time to pick up a couple second hand.

Do all schools use the same text books?

Did anyone find any book particularly helpful?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

In my school, Honours Maths book is Text and Tests 5, it's green. Been around for ages, you'll get it second-hand easily. There's also 'MathsBank'...looks newish..don't know if you could get that second-hand. Dunno about physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i used text and tests too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 worben

Thanks,

Most people seem to be using Tests and Texts so I'll pick up a copy, there's plenty of Math/Physics resources online but I just want to make sure I'm covering everything thats taught in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

For physics most people use the Folens book... Christ, I've been out of school a month and I've forgotten the name and author... It's a black book, someone help me out..? Either way the general consensus is it's one of the best, it certainly covers everything.

As for Maths, I used Tests and Texts 5 and 6. One's blue, one's green. The Less Stress, More Success maths books are written by the same guy. Someone gave me LSMS, so for a while I thought they'd be useless as a couple of the same examples pop up in both LSMS and T&T, but actually in the days before the exam they were damn usefull. That said, I'm glad I didn't actually spend money on them, given that I only used them for like, a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

For physics most people use the Folens book... Christ, I've been out of school a month and I've forgotten the name and author... It's a black book, someone help me out..?

It's called 'Real World Physics' by Dan O'Regan - just bought it myself for 5th year and it looks good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

physics now! is the physics book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

microbiek wrote:
    physics now! is the physics book
    That's Gill & Macmillan, not Folens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I use "Maths" as a maths book.. by Aidan Roantree I think. There's two books, one for 5th and one for 6th year. I like it, haven't had any problems yet anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 worben

Thanks for all the replies, at least now I know what to look for when I head down to the bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Get 'Real world physics', it helped me so much in my leaving cert, the book i used in school was a piece of crap!

STAY AWAY from 'physics today', such a terrible book, no definitions in it, wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I second Real World Physics by Dan O'Regan, was definitely the best book I had out of all my subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

People praise "Real World Physics"?:eek:, Man I thought that book was a bit crap tbh.
    Maths wise, I used "Discovering Maths" by Oliver Murphey, decent enough book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Naikon wrote:
    People praise "Real World Physics"?:eek:, Man I thought that book was a bit crap tbh ...
    I wouldn't praise it too much either. Best get a good revision book to supplement it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Maths - Discovering Maths and Text and Tests 5 (Don't bother with the blue) using both you'll be adequetly covered. In my opinion DM is better as a whole but if I recall correctly, the line and the circle are done much better in the green book.

Physics - Real World Physics and the syllabus, that'll sort you out for an A1 no problem.

Advertisement