Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst case?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

was just wondering whats the worst thing that can happen with lip piercings? i know its probably here somewhere but i cant find anything and the only thing i could find online was about ur gums. and does anyone have any bad experiences with piercing? thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Well with gum erosion the worst thing that could happen is your teeth fall out.

I'd say it's extremely uncommon with standard gauge piercings though.

Here's some info about risks associated with lip piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

I think it really depends on the way your face is structured, I mean I have a labret just under my lip and it NEVER touches my gum or teeth so I can't see anything going wrong with it (touch wood).

Healing whise it shouldn't get infected if you look after it, I got mine done and it was my first and I wasn't really sure how it would turn out and it was fine.

I was able to change it after a couple of weeks as well.

It's been a year since I got it done and I can keep it out for 4-5 days at a time now and I have no problem putting it back in :)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

thanks thats great. i know this probly sounds really stupid but is it ok to go swiming in pools just after getting ur lip pierced?

kateos2 wrote:
    thanks thats great. i know this probly sounds really stupid but is it ok to go swiming in pools just after getting ur lip pierced?
    I don't think so, I know when you fill the forums out it says something about going on holiday and swimming, I got my industrial on my ear the other day and I was told I can't go swimming for a while.

ok cool! thanks

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote:
    ok cool! thanks
    No problem, also, I noticed you live pretty near me, in Bray there is a place called 9 Lives, and they're pretty good for piercings. I recommend them if you don't want to travel into Dublin.

yeah i was thinking about going there? are they good? and what are prices like there?

kateos2 wrote:
    yeah i was thinking about going there? are they good? and what are prices like there?
    Well, their prices are fair as far as I can remember, they are hygienic as well which I liked and very helpful. I remember I bought a ring for my lip there and she sat me down and put on a fresh pair of gloves and fitted the ring and showed me everything in detail and how to remove the ball to get it out, and that was when I was only buying a 6 euro ring, so I was well impressed by that.

To be honest though most of the major places are all good, most of it's down to aftercare in my opinion, no matter how clean and good your piercer is, one day of neglected aftercare and it's all down hill.

But the lip piercing owns, I always stick my fags on the bar and it looks like I have a floating ciggy, although it's best you let it heal before you do stuff like that lol :D.

But as for 9 lives, I would go there myself, but I have a 10% discount for Celestial Ring, so I best use that for the next piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Worst case sceanario you go to a place that doesn't sterilise properly you get a massive infection, you then don't get it treated in time get scepticemia and die.

The above while far fetched can happen. Most place in this country are fairly reputqable so you should be fine. Just look after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

probably a bad infection is the most likely worst case scenario,just take proper care of it and you should be fine

500th post:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 SplashBack

Worst immediate scenario is infection, septicemia, death etc (rather unlikely though if you take care of your piercing);)

Long term issues are chipping teeth, gum erosion leading to gum disease, halitosis, skin growths over the back of the piercing (if a bar, but these can be easily rectified) calcium/other mineral build up on the jewellery etc etc.

Google the risks, ask your dentist, ask your piercer. Not everyone is the same, you may have to place your piercing in a specific area so as to minimise the gum and tooth damage. Try to get teflon or tygon backing on the jewellery to minimise the risk of tooth chipping from playing with your jewellery (it's something you will do absently once healed).

No you can't go swimming until fully healed. Use alcohol-free mouth-wash like Oral B alcohol-free (they all taste like pi** btw) after meals and smoking and drinking alcohol while healing. Don't drink or smoke for 48hrs post piercing (minimum if you can hold out that long).

Just wash it gently, use non-iodised sea salt soaks to gargle etc. and you should be fine.

Advertisement